Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not sure its a massive step up from the 2-2 in the same fixture last season or the 0-1 win for Brighton in the season before.

I think Brighton would have had a fair chance of getting a point or three with GP as well.
Those are all valid points Swanny, but they don't really counter the idea that RDZ may have had an immediate impact in his first game at Liverpool.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
There's possibly parallels with when Caicedo burst onto the scene at Arsenal away last season. That seemed to be the catalyst to move the performances up a gear – exciting times...
That's an interesting point. Caicedo at Arsenal, the blossoming of Trossard, hitting a hatrick at Anfield (!), recent performances of Mitoma, who has hit the premier league like a cyclone. Note that the last two of those events have happened in the reign of RDZ, which is still less than two months old.

It's worth noting that all three are going to the World Cup, as is Evan Ferguson. As you say, exciting times....

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I'm a little bit in love with de Zerbi. Aside from the football, his manner and communication is brilliant. He thinks about his answers, seems to be honest, is clear (despite his - reducing - lack of fluency) and doesn't use garbage psycho-speak like "being a good moment". I hope he stays with is forever!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It’s just so purposeful. Space, run into it, chance to shoot, take it. Brilliant football.
I'd like to make a shout for the key driver in that goal - Sarmiento. He has been a bit under the radar of late, but he's very, very good.

He started the move with a difficult pass, sprinted into space and delivered a perfect ball into Mitoma's stride.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When was that? Most I can see is 5 consecutive home games without scoring under Potter.

We did just go 3 games without scoring, preceding these last 3.

Fair bit of Ministry of Truth going on at present.
Sorry my mistake I was getting my miserable runs mixed up.
I was aiming for 12 without a win (through boogate)

My overarching point is that you're beginning to sound like Chailey and The Swan's love child.
The star of Tony Bloom EPL Stories is too good for that.

Don't forget he left us.
We were happy enough with GPott.
We'd be happy enough if he were still here.
We'd have even been able to find the positives with our point at Wolves.

But he left us.

He left us for more money and absolutely no class.

Now for the kicker.

At the moment the grass wasn't greener it's instantly become a muddy bog. Hahahaha.

But, BUT, for the first time in humanity, the other half left on there own, hasn't turn to the local toothless hag, who can sense vulnerability and desperation a mile off, as she swoops in on her bingo wings.

We've only gone a pulled a supermodel.

I can't help thinking this one is gonna shine bright - burn fast.

So put your big boy pants on, strap in, and enjoy the ride.
Now's not the time for hand wringing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry my mistake I was getting my miserable runs mixed up.
I was aiming for 12 without a win (through boogate)

My overarching point is that you're beginning to sound like Chailey and The Swan's love child.
The star of Tony Bloom EPL Stories is too good for that.

Don't forget he left us.
We were happy enough with GPott.
We'd be happy enough if he were still here.
We'd have even been able to find the positives with our point at Wolves.

But he left us.

He left us for more money be absolutely no class.

Now for the kicker.

At the moment the grass wasn't greener it's instantly become a muddy bog. Hahahaha.

But, BUT, for the first time in humanity, the other half left on there own, hasn't turn to the local toothless hag, who can sense vulnerability and desperation a mile off, as she swoops in on her bingo wings.

We've only gone a pulled a supermodel.

I can't help thinking this one is gonna shine bright - burn fast.

So put your big boy pants on, strap in, and enjoy the ride.
Now's not the time for hand wringing.
You're getting confused with defending Potter with defending our statistics. Let's not conflate the 2 things.

Correcting people who are coming out with statistics that are not true, or saying we've done something we've never done - this isn't to defend the manager, this is to defend the players and their achievements over the past few years.

I was over his departure pretty quick, far quicker than for Chris. Trawl back through the threads on new managers - I've had a steely faith in Tony's methods. I was excited by RDZ before a ball was kicked.

I feel absolutely no need to belittle the players achievements over the last 3 seasons just because I am annoyed with the manager at that time.

It's a point missed by many I feel. I'd be pretty annoyed if I was the players reading some of the stuff on here as if they'd been shit and lucky for 3 seasons. Forget the managers, these players have been a very decent side for 4 years now. Long may it continue.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
It's worth noting that all three are going to the World Cup, as is Evan Ferguson. As you say, exciting times....
Evan Ferguson isn't going to the World Cup. He's been called up for friendlies that the Rep of Ireland are playing next Thursday and Sunday. It's still good for him to be called up to the senior squad at just 18 though.

Rep of Ireland didn't qualify, finishing 3rd in their group.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're getting confused with defending Potter with defending our statistics. Let's not conflate the 2 things.

Correcting people who are coming out with statistics that are not true, or saying we've done something we've never done - this isn't to defend the manager, this is to defend the players and their achievements over the past few years.

I was over his departure pretty quick, far quicker than for Chris. Trawl back through the threads on new managers - I've had a steely faith in Tony's methods. I was excited by RDZ before a ball was kicked.

I feel absolutely no need to belittle the players achievements over the last 3 seasons just because I am annoyed with the manager at that time.

It's a point missed by many I feel. I'd be pretty annoyed if I was the players reading some of the stuff on here as if they'd been shit and lucky for 3 seasons. Forget the managers, these players have been a very decent side for 4 years now. Long may it continue.
But I didn't come he for a lecture in communism.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
only saw the assist and the finish of mitoma's goal, but the full move here is a thing of beauty

I wish we could put this against one of the moves against Chelsea, I’m pretty sure it’s almost a carbon copy which
only saw the assist and the finish of mitoma's goal, but the full move here is a thing of beauty

I’m trying to remember the game, but I think we’ve used a similar move to draw out the opposition. Deja vu.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He's going to be a pundit for RTE with special responsibility of finding a decent Irish pint in Qatar. What can possibly go wrong?

(Either that, or I had a brainstorm).
Tbf I'd f***ing love to see a documentary about Evan Ferguson travelling around in Qatar looking for beer in everything from five star hotels to shady basements in small fishing villages.

The thing I like most about De Zerbi is his psychology. He talks about us transitioning to a big club now. That we have more room to grow. How every player can do better. He’s reprogramming the way our players think and also helping fans shake the old small club mentality.

Under Potter it was alway we were lucky to get anything, the opposition are great, we’ll have to suffer, and history lessons about how we don’t deserve much better.

Now it might just be my interpretation,. but I think De Zerbi is the manager really demonstrating emotional intelligence.
Absolutely this. There is no" it is what it is" and the "we are where we are" stuff. Its like Roberto has suddenly said to his players "listen lads, it doesn't matter how much other clubs spend, it doesn't matter how big they are and it doesn't matter that they are traditionally the big 6. We are as good as them and I want you to improve and you can be better than them. We can finish as high as them with hard work and belief in yourselves!"

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's an interesting point. Caicedo at Arsenal, the blossoming of Trossard, hitting a hatrick at Anfield (!), recent performances of Mitoma, who has hit the premier league like a cyclone. Note that the last two of those events have happened in the reign of RDZ, which is still less than two months old.

Not sure young Evan is tbf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here