Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I was aware he was a “good guy”, but I’ve read things this morning that cement this firmly, and which I am sure will have made him attractive as a manager to the club alongside his football qualities.

He’s obviously a man of principle, and an article from the Daily Mail (sorry) on Facebook described him as brave.
- he initially would not leave the Ukraine out of loyalty to the fans.
- he eventually wouldn’t leave until he was sure all his “frightened Brazilian” players were safe - he seems to have left at the very last moment.
- he refused to talk to Bologna about their managerial vacancy because they had sacked their previous coach, who was undergoing treatment for leukaemia for the second time in three years.

All of that seemed a bit Potteresque - BUT he is his own man, a decent man for a decent club. :albion2:

Reading some of the comments back - feck me, seriously lower your expectations around command of the English language. He tried initially and understood the questions being asked.

Potch didn’t speak much initially and he did well.

Potters interviews were garbage in the main, Hughton’s were repetitive…..

I’m interested about what happens on the pitch.

He’ll be fine.

Spot on!!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Reading some of the comments back - feck me, seriously lower your expectations around command of the English language. He tried initially and understood the questions being asked.

Potch didn’t speak much initially and he did well.

Potters interviews were garbage in the main, Hughton’s were repetitive…..

I’m interested about what happens on the pitch.

He’ll be fine.

Exactly.

You don’t need to learn English to be successful. Just look at Biesla. Most Leeds fans will tell you that he was arguably the best manager of all time and certainly Leeds’ best manager ever. He is rumoured to have only picked up about three English words: ‘more’ ‘running’ and ‘bucket’.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
interesting quote from andrea maldera here

[tweet]1171732186153848832[/tweet]

translation:
"We work a lot on our matches and our analysis is deep and very detailed. With so few matches the players, who are used to different tactics in their various clubs, have very little time to assimilate the manager's ideas."

hopefully his experience of only getting to coach the national team players, who play club footy under different tactics, every so often will mean he can help our squad get up to speed with RDZ's methods quickly.

he was cited as a huge reason behind the ukraine team doing well in the qualifiers at the time, due to the heavy emphasis on video analysis

[tweet]1171359705509371905[/tweet]

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
interesting quote from andrea maldera here

[tweet]1171732186153848832[/tweet]

translation:
"We work a lot on our matches and our analysis is deep and very detailed. With so few matches the players, who are used to different tactics in their various clubs, have very little time to assimilate the manager's ideas."

hopefully his experience of only getting to coach the national team players, who play club footy under different tactics, every so often will mean he can help our squad get up to speed with RDZ's methods quickly.

he was cited as a huge reason behind the ukraine team doing well in the qualifiers at the time, due to the heavy emphasis on video analysis

[tweet]1171359705509371905[/tweet]

I wonder if Maldera speaks English to take the pressure off RDZ? Not that i think the current language barrier is any sort of problem.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Forza Albion! :albion2:

FdHj2B7XkAIx47O.jpg

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Only concern for me which was touched on this morning on Talksport by Graeme Souness was that he's had 7 coaching jobs in 9 years.
Similar maybe to the likes of Conte and Mourinho who seem to not like to stay in the same place for too long.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I thought his English would be worse to be honest, really positive he was happy to give it a go, no car crash for me, a confident young manager who is targeting January to be completely fluent - judging from where he is with it right now, I don't think it will take him that long if he's speaking it every day and has a lesson or two here and there. Funny how different people see different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Different in a one on one environment

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/officialbhafc/status/1572295747122462720?s=46&t=u4YcteQoln_46swxJzmDjA[/Tweet]

Aware of Solly March before joining for all you haters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Only concern for me which was touched on this morning on Talksport by Graeme Souness was that he's had 7 coaching jobs in 9 years.
Similar maybe to the likes of Conte and Mourinho who seem to not like to stay in the same place for too long.

Not similar at all.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Again you aren’t comparing equals here, Hughtons exit you have to think was fairly well thought through with a candidate already in mind, much like Chelsea sacking Tuchel, they obviously had Potter in mind prior to the sacking.

Clubs often take a while to appoint a new manager when one is poached, as it’s unplanned, especially given we have a long period without a game.

Souness is making it sound like a concern because he keeps getting sacked and if he was any good clubs would have wanted to keep him, however the reason he's had a lot of jobs is because he's moved up the footballing ladder quite quickly as a manager.

Started at Serie D Darfo Boario which is semi pro and then left to take over as manager of Foggia in Serie C, he left there after 2 years due to a disagreement with the board and was quickly snapped up by Palermo in Serie A. That didn't last long, just 12 games, but Palmero were a car crash at the time and sacked the next two managers after him even quicker. He then joined Benevito after a year out of the game and despite being relegated he was praised for his possession based attacking football. After relegation he left to take over Sassuolo and led them to two 8th places finishes missing out on Europe on goal difference one season. He then left there to manage Shaktar but obviously left because of the war in Ukraine, however he was very reluctant to leave and wouldn't do so until his players were all safe.

Obviously the concern should be more about him getting snapped up by a bigger club should he do well here, he was on Juventus radar when we gave him the job, but if managers are doing well here it's something we are going to have to get used to.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
FWIW: I don't know if anybody here ever watches the Irish Guy, but he absolutely hated Potter (and still does) and hates us for some reason (he thinks we are all hipsters). Still, he is sometimes entertaining. Here are his thoughts on De Zerbi (starting around 7:11)

To be fair, he's whole schtick is complaining about how much things failing. The only thing he ever seems positive about is José Mourinho

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

That statement off the bat can sounds bad, but it only takes 5 minutes of research (which Souness should have done) to realise the reality is quite different to what he was suggesting. He was basically saying that 7 clubs in 9 years is too many and if he was any good he would have been at them for longer. When you look at the clubs its a pretty constant upwards curve from Serie D to Serie C, to Serie A jobs, to Ukrainian Premier League, to English Premier League. And from those 7 jobs on that list you can minus us seeing as he yet to manager a game. He left Shaktar after a very successful short stint because of the conflict, so it doesnt meet criteria of the negative point Souness was trying to make. You can minus Sassuolo from the list because he left them for a bigger job at Shaktar. And early in his career he went from Darfo Baorio and Foggia onto bigger jobs. Even his incomplete season at Benevento was praised because he came in after they started the season with a horrendous string of losses, and as the season went on De Zerbi improved results but couldnt save the small club from Serie A relegation. Of all the 7 jobs that just leave Palermo where he left in a negative manner and there was question marks about his performance, but they rattled through managers that season, and so the questions marks were maybe more aim at the players. 7 clubs in 9 years is bad if you're doing rubbish and getting sacked from each one, but that just isnt the case here, with the exception of Palermo its more about being poached by bigger clubs.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FWIW: I don't know if anybody here ever watches the Irish Guy, but he absolutely hated Potter (and still does) and hates us for some reason (he thinks we are all hipsters). Still, he is sometimes entertaining. Here are his thoughts on De Zerbi (starting around 7:11)

To be fair, he's whole schtick is complaining about how much things failing. The only thing he ever seems positive about is José Mourinho
Yuk.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Souness is making it sound like a concern because he keeps getting sacked and if he was any good clubs would have wanted to keep him, however the reason he's had a lot of jobs is because he's moved up the footballing ladder quite quickly as a manager.

Started at Serie D Darfo Boario which is semi pro and then left to take over as manager of Foggia in Serie C, he left there after 2 years due to a disagreement with the board and was quickly snapped up by Palermo in Serie A. That didn't last long, just 12 games, but Palmero were a car crash at the time and sacked the next two managers after him even quicker. He then joined Benevito after a year out of the game and despite being relegated he was praised for his possession based attacking football. After relegation he left to take over Sassuolo and led them to two 8th places finishes missing out on Europe on goal difference one season. He then left there to manage Shaktar but obviously left because of the war in Ukraine, however he was very reluctant to leave and wouldn't do so until his players were all safe.

Obviously the concern should be more about him getting snapped up by a bigger club should he do well here, he was on Juventus radar when we gave him the job, but if managers are doing well here it's something we are going to have to get used to.

Indeed. And it is true to say that Souness has been chased around the farmyard like a wayward piglet, tackled from behind, netted, humanely killed, then roasted and served up with a red wine sauce, on another thread. Yum.

:wink:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018

read this piece here, it should allay those specific concerns
https://football-italia.net/why-de-zerbi-cv-shouldnt-worry-brighton-fans/

though souness' comments were ridiculous, and, ironically enough, evidently the results of a quick 30 second google search

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here