Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
His level of English seems fairly similar to that of my Spanish when I finished my GCSE early.

He can get by but it's somewhat hard to express your thoughts in detail as you don't have the words to add depth to what you're trying to say. That can also lead to you getting flustered when you're trying to talk as it leads to you knowing what you want to say but not how to say it.

Overall it's not a problem and he'll be able to communicate ideas quite easily as it's fairly basic language he can use.

He also understands the questions and replies to some of them, example "have you spoken to Pep since joining the club?", "yes on Sunday evening."

Promising language usage for me.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not one interesting word uttered so far...
Agreed !! Very generic. They all seem really nervous. Would have loved for de zerbi to give some specifics on what he knows about the club.

Impress us you're on 2 mill a year mate !

(Tough crowd I know and potter was always dire in interviews)

Btw absolutely no doubt he will pick up English quickly

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Absolutely no animosity between TB/PB and Potter and co – as much as some on here would like or have others believe...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Very disappointing. Once, just once, I want an interpreter to listen to his man for a minute then translate what he said into a 1 word answer.

Otherwise it was fine really, not very exciting which is fine.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Working day in day out will see his English pick up quickly. I worked in Spain for 6 months back in the 80's and couldn't speak a word, but by about the 4 month mark was largely fluent. Yes, I was younger than Roberto but I don't see that being a huge barrier. You absorb so much just hearing the native language every day I'm sure he'll be vastly improved by the end of the year.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He also understood questions without them being interpreted. Shows he's quite advanced, just not as confident speaking yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an important point. If he can understand questions spoken at native speed and with no thought of simplifying for him he'll be able to speak relatively quickly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agreed !! Very generic. They all seem really nervous. Would have loved for de zerbi to give some specifics on what he knows about the club.

Impress us you're on 2 mill a year mate !

(Tough crowd I know and potter was always dire in interviews)

Btw absolutely no doubt he will pick up English quickly

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Yeah, duller than I was hoping. The only real interesting thing we got out of it was his level of English - agree with some posters that it was better than I thought it would be.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very disappointing. Once, just once, I want an interpreter to listen to his man for a minute then translate what he said into a 1 word answer.

Otherwise it was fine really, not very exciting which is fine.

I've had before this when talking to Japanese engineers through an interpreter. Makes trying to get decent quotes for interview VERY hard work!

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
The dude understands this is his job and will need to get a better grasp of English, which I am quite sure he will. Shit questions tbf, so not sure how much better he really could have done. No point reading too much into it one way or the other imo.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
God help him with the next Fans Forum

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here