Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Robert Sanchez

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Of course you have irrefutable proof that 1966 was rigged and are definitely not just dangling out a fishing rod.

You certainly know how to make yourself popular round here.

Well one ‘goal’ didn’t cross the line, and the last goal had ‘people on the pitch’ so game should have been stopped. Game therefore finishes 2-2 and you’d never beat the Germans on penalties

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well one ‘goal’ didn’t cross the line, and the last goal had ‘people on the pitch’ so game should have been stopped. Game therefore finishes 2-2 and you’d never beat the Germans on penalties

As far as 'people are on the pitch' at Wembley goes, pot calling kettle black here methinks (cough, 1967).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh I know England when it comes to football. This time we have a really good team and could win it. Repeat over and over again. Then reality comes around like a baseball bat. I could very easily see the same thing happening this summer. As poor as England has been in World Cups throughout the years, the record in the Euros is really, really bad.

It's difficult to argue with this.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Difficult to tell whether the ball was in or not.

But what isnt difficult to tell is that the quarter final against Argentina was fixed. Absolutely ridicilous. The English players could do whatever they liked to the Argentinians while the Argentinians got free-kicks and cards for pretty much every single tackle. They even had a player sent of for "dissent" half an hour or so into the game... despite the ref having no clue what the player was saying.

Stanley Rous wanted England to win and he wanted the final to be against the Germans, so he made it all happen.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Oh I know England when it comes to football. This time we have a really good team and could win it. Repeat over and over again. Then reality comes around like a baseball bat. I could very easily see the same thing happening this summer. As poor as England has been in World Cups throughout the years, the record in the Euros is really, really bad.

While there's definitely an element of truth to this, certainly in the past, I don't think it's been particularly true for a decade. Expectations are pretty low, you only need to have a read on here to see how negative a lot of people are to the national team. Even the positive ones generally don't think we're going to win anything at best it's a case of we have some decent players and could do well, where could is making the latter stages of the tournament.

Most people who talk of England's expectations for winning tournaments are often the same people who then use those 'expectations' to denigrate the team for not reaching them.

It is undeniable, however, that we are utter shite at the Euros. In my football supporting lifetime we have:

88: lost all three group games.

92: Knocked out by your lot in the group stages.

96: It's coming home! This one was fun.

2000: Out in the group stages. We did manage to beat Germany even if we did throw away a two goal lead against Portugal.

2004: Quite a fun one. Threw away a win against France with missed penalty and then conceding a last minute penalty. Portugal step up as our new Germany.

08: Er... Nice summer off.

12: Jesus christ. The quarter final against Italy was the most painful yet mind numbingly dull performance I've ever seen.

16: Iceland. Oh dear.

So yeah, history suggests we're not going to get far.

Edit: Just realised this is a Sanchez thread. Go Bob! Hope he gets the no 1 job in the tournament.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Spain’s final friendly has been cancelled as Busquets has tested positive for Covid. I guess that means Sanchez won’t get a chance to start a game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Spain’s final friendly has been cancelled as Busquets has tested positive for Covid. I guess that means Sanchez won’t get a chance to start a game.

Yes saw this, apparently their U21 squad is playing this game instead. I don't really understand it though as apparently the rest of the squad tested negative.

What is going to happen during the tournament if a player tests positive which is surely going to happen at some point?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here