Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie simpson

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why are people on here questioning this already. I, for one, have seen enough of Russell Slade to trust his judgement. We don't know that we are interested in Simpson or that, if we are, we plan to bid anywhere near £400K. However, if we do buy him for £400K then why not get behind him. People on here have been complaining for years about a lack of investment in the team but now there is talk of big bids people are still moaning. Russell Slade knows his available budget and where we need strengthening so I doubt he will be spending all his budget on Simpson.

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
Why are people on here questioning this already. I, for one, have seen enough of Russell Slade to trust his judgement. We don't know that we are interested in Simpson or that, if we are, we plan to bid anywhere near £400K. However, if we do buy him for £400K then why not get behind him. People on here have been complaining for years about a lack of investment in the team but now there is talk of big bids people are still moaning. Russell Slade knows his available budget and where we need strengthening so I doubt he will be spending all his budget on Simpson.

Is the correct answer.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Stumpy Tim

I think it's less criticism and more surprise that we're spending the money on a striker when we don't have a midfield. I'm all in favour of splashing the cash. And hopefully we'll sign Dicker & spend 400k on another midfielder

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

At last some sense, In Slade we trust.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At last some sense, In Slade we trust.

Not so sure about that, have you read the thread about releasing John Sullivan? Slade better hit the ground running or I expect the 1st Slade out poll after three consecutive defeats...sadly

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Why would Birmingham be interested in buying their own player?

Sorry i meant to say Coventry had a £1million bid reportedly rejected.:blush:
I agree though, we wouldnt get someone like him for 400k, but we could get a decent L1 winger who naturally plays out wide. If we are buying him as a striker surely there are more proven strikers out there?

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Negative Negative Negative!!!!!

Trust RS look at what he produced last season and as Mickey Mouse woops Mickey Adams would say: Keep the faith

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sorry i meant to say Coventry had a £1million bid reportedly rejected.:blush:
I agree though, we wouldnt get someone like him for 400k, but we could get a decent L1 winger who naturally plays out wide. If we are buying him as a striker surely there are more proven strikers out there?

Sorry but I couldn't resist pointing it out!

I can see people's points about striker not being our priority position. However, we only have four strikers on our books having lost Owusu and they are:

Forster - not getting any younger and had a few injuries last year
Murray - had a few injuries last year and questions over his future
Davies - not proved himself yet (although I think he will do next season)
Hart - I think he is more effective as a winger as a number of his assists came from wide positions

So looking at that you would say we need a striker. £400K is a lot of money but I am sure Slade knows what he is doing. He had almost universal support at the end of last season but now he has released a few popular players and is being linked with a few that people aren't convinced by, the moaning is starting again. Why don't we just trust him for now and be excited that we are being linked with spending £400K on a player when a few years ago it was unthinkable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not about to start the slating of RS but I also do not see what the over the board hero worship is about. Yes he kept us up but only by doing what any person given the job would have done played the players in their best position he didnt suddenly become a tactical genius that made us an all conquering side. Like many I do not think that striker is our main priority at the moment unless he is unconvinced by the fitness etc of Murray and Forster that they will last the distance. I would be much more ecstatic if the papers had said that we had been similarly linked with a goalscoring winger or creative midfield player.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hey hum
Just three weeks to go before the transfer window OPENS and signs are that the storm clouds that are NSC "fans" are beginning to gather............................

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
....Like many I do not think that striker is our main priority at the moment unless he is unconvinced by the fitness etc of Murray and Forster that they will last the distance....

I'd say that's exactly the way he's thinking. Forster is nearing the end of his career and Murray has had a history of injuries since he joined. We need at least one new striker - especially as Owosu isn't signing. I don't think he has too much confidence in Davies either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think Owosu not signing is no major problem as I wouldnt have expected him to have been as successful overa seasobn as he was in a few games when trying to earn a contract.

I am concerned that Forster will not last the season and that after Christmas may see him being used as an impact sub more often. I would agree with you about Davies.

All the rumours on here have suggested that RS is looking ata big target man type striker but Riobbie Simpson does not fall into that category.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
All the rumours on here have suggested that RS is looking ata big target man type striker but Riobbie Simpson does not fall into that category.

Which suggests that maybe the rumours are full of shite.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Doesn't he play on the wing for Coventry?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Negative Negative Negative!!!!!

Trust RS look at what he produced last season and as Mickey Mouse woops Mickey Adams would say: Keep the faith

I think fans are right to be a bit cautious. Slade has done brilliantly for us and deserves our backing. But he has relatively little experience when it comes to buying better players and making optimal use of bigger transfer budgets. That is not to say that he won't make the right decisions - time will tell. On paper, 400k for a player who has achieved virtually nothing other than for Cambridge United and Cambridge City and who has scored only 4 goals in 61 games for Coventry, looks too much. Let's hope that the scouts have seen something that the wiki stats don't tell us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here