Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] RIP The Village Bradman, Brian Huffer

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Thanks J

We're not sure what we will be able do (or when), but yes, we hope to do something - possibly at Parham early next Summer. A few words, a friendly match, food and a few drinks. We'll see...

I know it’s early days but wouldn’t be great if there was a BH trophy six aside tournament along the lines of the Barnes Green event

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry to hear this Hans Kraay Fan Club.

Both sides of my family are from Storrington so my Dad and Uncles played Cricket and Football there. My Dad is 83 and played for Storrington, Arundel and then Hove Sports who played at Wish Park and all around Sussex.

He could not recall your Dad but said he remembered a Monty Huffer who played wicket keeper, any relation. Although we both said there were a lot of Huffers in Storington. I have great memories of my Dad playing cricket he was lucky as Arundel always played the Duke of Nortfolk's XI up at the Castle ground. He got to bowl and got hit by the Alex and Eric Bedser many a time. I am sure they must have played against each other. You must have great memories of your dad he sounded like a big character in Sussex Cricket.

Monty was my dad's father! Lived on Spierbridge Road, 100yards or so from Storrington Rec. Here is is, with my nan, at my parent's wedding...

Nan and Grandad.jpg

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry to hear of your loss Hans.

I didn't know your father but may have come across him in Pulborough/Storrington as I have been known to have a beer there a few times a few years back.

Sounds like he was a top guy. RIP

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So sorry to hear this terribly sad news of Brian, @hanskraayfanclub.

Brian was indeed a true legend of Sussex cricket. He was, as others have said, very much the man to get out at Parham Park if you had designs on anything other than defeat. I had the good fortune to catch him in the gully a couple of times, where we (Hove Unicorns) would sometimes post three fielders in an attempt to block his favourite shot. Almost invariably, however, his deft touch would evade each fielder and one of us would set off on the long chase down the slope towards the lake only for the ball to trundle over the rope just ahead of us. A puff back up the hill to witness an inscrutable twitch of the Huffer moustache and the likely continuation of an impeccable knock.

He was a very fine bowler, too, always at you with late inswing too good for me on many occasions. And as a captain, he knew exactly when to employ the donkey drop bowlers as the sun set in late season...

Rest easy, Brian. Well batted, sir.

PG

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Goodness, he sounds like an amazing man.

RIP Mr Huffer and condolences to you and your family.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Monty was my dad's father! Lived on Spierbridge Road, 100yards or so from Storrington Rec. Here is is, with my nan, at my parent's wedding...

Storrington was the real life model for Tillingfold in Hugh De Selincourt's famous novel, The Cricket Match. Some of the characters in it were supposedly based on Storrington's players. I wonder if your grandad would have known some of them when he was young.

I always think of that book when we go past the Storrington ground

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Storrington was the real life model for Tillingfold in Hugh De Selincourt's famous novel, The Cricket Match. Some of the characters in it were supposedly based on Storrington's players. I wonder if your grandad would have known some of them when he was young.

I always think of that book when we go past the Storrington ground

Storrington CC fixture was an annual game for my late fathers team Noel Bennett’s on a Sunday, as a kid I’d be more interested in the Gliders taking off nearby than the cricket [emoji23]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Storrington CC fixture was an annual game for my late fathers team Noel Bennett’s on a Sunday, as a kid I’d be more interested in the Gliders taking off nearby than the cricket [emoji23]

Ah, the famous Noel Bennett's XI - the hosts of the annual Christmas Day match.

Those gliders are something else - Pulborough rugby club (which bizarrely is in Storrington) is based right next to the gliders' field and they're very distracting

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So sorry to hear this terribly sad news of Brian, @hanskraayfanclub.

Brian was indeed a true legend of Sussex cricket. He was, as others have said, very much the man to get out at Parham Park if you had designs on anything other than defeat. I had the good fortune to catch him in the gully a couple of times, where we (Hove Unicorns) would sometimes post three fielders in an attempt to block his favourite shot. Almost invariably, however, his deft touch would evade each fielder and one of us would set off on the long chase down the slope towards the lake only for the ball to trundle over the rope just ahead of us. A puff back up the hill to witness an inscrutable twitch of the Huffer moustache and the likely continuation of an impeccable knock.

He was a very fine bowler, too, always at you with late inswing too good for me on many occasions. And as a captain, he knew exactly when to employ the donkey drop bowlers as the sun set in late season...

Rest easy, Brian. Well batted, sir.

PG

This one?

998D31C1-F099-4621-B448-80EB27A05451.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here