Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] RIP The Village Bradman, Brian Huffer

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didnt know Brian but he clearly touched many people, and smashed a lot of them at cricket. RIP.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I was bowling at Brian in the Brighton league one Saturday afternoon at Patcham Place, Robin Hood end iirc with Priory player M Knight umpiring at my end.

I appealed for an LBW which Knight gave not out, obviously I thought it was plumb and asked him politely to explain his decision to which he replied, your waisting your time if you think Brian would ever be so stupid to get his legs in front of the wicket when playing a shot [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sad news but a great role model for all Sussex sportsmen/women

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was bowling at Brian in the Brighton league one Saturday afternoon at Patcham Place, Robin Hood end iirc with Priory player M Knight umpiring at my end.

I appealed for an LBW which Knight gave not out, obviously I thought it was plumb and asked him politely to explain his decision to which he replied, your waisting your time if you think Brian would ever be so stupid to get his legs in front of the wicket when playing a shot [emoji23]

He certainly wasn't prone to give his wicket away cheaply. I once sat next to our number three, padded up, ready to go, while we watched Dad and John Knight (no relation) put on 315 for the first wicket, in a BL match at Braypool. Poor chap got in with four balls of the innings remaining, and promptly got bowled !

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
He certainly wasn't prone to give his wicket away cheaply. I once sat next to our number three, padded up, ready to go, while we watched Dad and John Knight (no relation) put on 315 for the first wicket, in a BL match at Braypool. Poor chap got in with four balls of the innings remaining, and promptly got bowled !

Ahhh JK, left hander iirc, only time you get him out was left arm round the wicket bowling at his leg stump [emoji23]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You were lucky to have a dad like that by the sound of it. RIP Brian.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Sorry mate, it is not easy but each day at a time.

Sounds like a wonderful man and a fulfilled life led.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The match we beat Parham Park we bowled them out for 79.

I took a look at your scorecard after you posted this thread and it appears we removed your opener for a duck and then your dad and brother put on what may have been a 50 stand. Brian (30) D (22). Once Brian had gone the middle and late order collapsed.

It was a memorable day for me as, although I was wicketless, my opening partner took 9 wickets in what I think is an historical record for our club. Inevitably, the number 11 bunny fell to bowler 3 and he didn't sweep the lot.

The day will always stick out. I seem to remember your dad had an almost old Etonian look about him and his stroke play was out of a 40s coaching manual. I started playing long after that but the gentle craftwork of such batsman is something I love seeing the black and white footage off. Like a full Lords in a late 50s clash with the old enemy.

Your Dad also opened the bowling that day and, for once, to no avail.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

:lolol:

I bet that happened a few times. The number three gets 'Gower Syndrome' as I call it.

When I first started listening to cricket on TMS England were in India in 1981. They played a match In Delhi where Tavare and Boycott had a large stand after Gooch had gone for a fifty.

Gower had sat there for more than a day with his pads on and came to crease only to fall for a duck third ball. Not helpful that Fletcher and Tavare then followed up with another century stand.

I feel for some of the number threes who follow such immense acts as Brian batting with another accomplished opener, although as a bowler I'd be chomping at the bit to be brought back on !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sorry to hear Hans and thoughts are with you. Sounds like you had a wonderful father.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
So sorry to hear of the sad loss of your dad. I am lucky to have been able to spend time with him over the years and know what a lovely, caring man he was and how proud he was of all his family. It's so sad that the restrictions mean you can't have more people at his funeral but maybe it will be possible to arrange another sort of tribute in the month's ahead. For now, my thoughts are very much with all the family, sending my love and hugs. RIP Brian x

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Reflecting on old scorecards I have just found our match against Parham Park in June 1989. Parham Park 169 all out. Your Dad carried his bat for 105*. I can't recall an occasion in my time where a player has done that. If it has happened it's rare.

Had a message today from a 50 year stalwart at our club to say he has memories of your Dad going back years, describing him as a 'true legend'.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Condolences to you and your family.

My son played with (Patcham CC) and against (Parham Park CC) your dad many times. When I asked him if he was really that good he replied "no, he was better"!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Condolences to you, your family and friends.

It sounds like you were blessed

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So sorry to hear of the sad loss of your dad. I am lucky to have been able to spend time with him over the years and know what a lovely, caring man he was and how proud he was of all his family. It's so sad that the restrictions mean you can't have more people at his funeral but maybe it will be possible to arrange another sort of tribute in the month's ahead. For now, my thoughts are very much with all the family, sending my love and hugs. RIP Brian x

Thanks J

We're not sure what we will be able do (or when), but yes, we hope to do something - possibly at Parham early next Summer. A few words, a friendly match, food and a few drinks. We'll see...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Sorry to hear this Hans Kraay Fan Club.

Both sides of my family are from Storrington so my Dad and Uncles played Cricket and Football there. My Dad is 83 and played for Storrington, Arundel and then Hove Sports who played at Wish Park and all around Sussex.

He could not recall your Dad but said he remembered a Monty Huffer who played wicket keeper, any relation. Although we both said there were a lot of Huffers in Storington. I have great memories of my Dad playing cricket he was lucky as Arundel always played the Duke of Nortfolk's XI up at the Castle ground. He got to bowl and got hit by the Alex and Eric Bedser many a time. I am sure they must have played against each other. You must have great memories of your dad he sounded like a big character in Sussex Cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here