Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Sid Waddell

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Legendary commentator has passed away aged 72.

Put so much excitement into the sport and quite a character as well

Darts will miss his enthusiasm and knowledge

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was Mr Darts as far as I'm concerned.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't say I've ever paid much attention to darts, but he did make a MASSIVE contribution to football history :thumbsup:

Oh that's sad, the man talked such utter drivel, mostly at the top of his voice, he made darts worth watching.

One of my best memories was this one after Taylor threw out a large finish:

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a dart, he thought that out like a scientist sending a balistic missile from continent to continent.

(Only works if you read it in a hysterical northern accent)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That is devastating. Genuinely. Sid Waddell is one of the main reasons I started watching the darts, his commentary was ridiculous, but so truly brilliant. As someone else said, he was Mr Darts to me. It's a massive blow for the sport, and such a shame.

RIP. :down:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
'When Alexander the Great was 33 he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer. Bristow is only 27"

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Oh that's sad, the man talked such utter drivel, mostly at the top of his voice, he made darts worth watching.

One of my best memories was this one after Taylor threw out a large finish:

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a dart, he thought that out like a scientist sending a balistic missile from continent to continent.

(Only works if you read it in a hysterical northern accent)

Yes, he was a little eccentric, well very actually but he just made the darts what it is today.

Not many people like him will get a chance to be a commentator these days

smelly

May 23, 2004
RIP Legend.

My personal favourite quote of his: " taylor four down to six four up. The greatest come back since Lazarus"

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
“This lad has more checkouts than Tescos.”

RIP Sid. He has checked out.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He was a hugely entertaining bloke. Uttered one of the great colemanballs: 'There's only one word for that - magic darts!'.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
'When Alexander the Great was 33 he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer. Bristow is only 27"

Oh I say: it's Sid in his POMP! :bowdown:

Very sorry to hear about his passing. I know he'd been very unwell, but it still comes as a shock to me. Proppa Commentating legend - now possibly reunited with a cocky wee Jocky in the Great Jollies Oche in t' sky (or something). :(

ps Another couple of fave Waddellism of mine are: "Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete" and " He's about as predictable as a Wasp on speed!" :clap:

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Great man will be missed. Many people used to watch darts just to hear him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here