Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rip offs - name and shame

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Whoops.That's a five point penalty for naming ANYTHING in Somerset.

Besides,Wookey Hole isn't "just a cave",it is a geological wonderland,and has the paper mill where if you could stop steaming about the entry price you could make your own paper,and one could spend hours in the amusements from bygone days (perhaps imagining yourself on the West Pier in the forties and fifties) and maybe lose yourself in the incredible glass maze.

My children went in in 1999.Haven't seen them since.

Bargain.

It has big plastic dinosaurs too! :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Looking at The Grand thread has reminded me that hotels in this country are shocking. You can easily pay over a £100 a night for a room that's dark, generally overlooking a car park, a warehouse or something equally enticing, and where you're expected to pay extra - and a lot extra - for a wireless LAN.

I still remember a hotel in Yorkshire that I stayed in 20 years ago that had no hot water in the showers, the only food that I've ordered that has been truly inedible and breakfast consisting of coffee and toast ("t'cook hasn't showed oop yet") for the grand sum of £55 - quite a lot in the 80s. It's certainly stuck in my mind.

While I've had nothing that bad since, it's still a dispiriting experience staying in hotels in the UK - particularly compared to ones in the US or mainland Europe. And yet it seems to be horrendously expensive for a worse service.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nandos. its good, but £8.70 for chicken burger chips and drink is a rip off really.
Soft drinks in pubs.
WHSmiths in train stations.

¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3631051 said:
Shitty little newsagents that charge a fee for paying on card. Is that even legal?

to be fair, they get charged. iirc 50p for a debit card transaction, 2.5-3.5% for Credit Card.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Booking Fees, ridiculous. Post and Packing where the only means of getting it is er.. by post.

Basically a marketing trick where the price of things can be advertised at a lower price than they actually are.

I like see regulations introduced where the real price of something is primarily quoted and the price if bought in person is actually a discounted price.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
........., and £1 for 12 old coins to put into retro slot machines. I felt robbed!

Ah! You lost.

Also,you should check those old pennies.I sold two on eBay for £5.40,which cut the entry price,and if you chose the right slots you need a wheelbarrow to cash them back in.

Really,it's like a trip to Las Vegas only without the airfare.

Regard it as £2573 saved................but okay,penalty deduction retracted !

to be fair, they get charged. iirc 50p for a debit card transaction, 2.5-3.5% for Credit Card.

Why is it never a fixed amount then, they all seem to charge what they like and sometimes say "oh don't worry about it" which leaves me to believe it's an optional way out of stinging a few more pence out of folk.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Brighton Centre

Gorillaz

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Alan. I salute you. That made me dribble tea from my nose. Well done. Have some Victory Ale.

- Little Chef is another LIBERTY taking rip-off.

- MAGAZINES. £4 a month? You could buy a BOOK for that. A book that is not full of adverts.

- Football shirts. From £36.99 I believe. Yeah, like THAT is good value...

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
My grandad's always complaining about the cost of things.

"£1.50 for a cup of tea? £1.50 for a CUP OF TEA?!?"

"Okay Grandad, you just popped round, I didn't INVITE you..."

(Milton Jones)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here