RIP Malcolm Allison

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
one of the games great characters

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Saw him co commentating for the BBC on a Brighton v Darlington game at Feethams about 10 years ago and he looked very ill then. I vaguely recall he had TB as a child or teenager and lost a lung (didn't stop him smoking those cigars though).

One of the great innovators in terms of coaching in this country.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Rip big Mal. Another character gone.

24REVfootball1.jpg

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Rip big Mal. Another character gone.

24REVfootball1.jpg

Amen to that. Always had a high regard for the man, in the era that also had Cloughie he was great entertainment value, a charismatic manager, and one who was always worth listening too. RIP you are a legend

Was he in charge of Palace when they were relegated from the top flight?

Yes, and wasn't he in charge of them when he took them to the Cup Semi Final in 1976 (?), when a Second division club and when he made this the most famous 'lucky' hat in football
PA-thumb-425x255-89234.jpg

WHallisonM.jpg

In 1964 he moved to Plymouth Argyle in the Second Division. He took the club from 20th to 15th place in the league. In 1965 Joe Mercer appointed him assistant manager at Manchester City. In their first season they won the Second Division championship. Two years later they won the First Division league title. The club won the FA Cup (1969), the League Cup (1970) and European Cup-Winners Cup (1971). The following year Allison took over from Mercer as manager of the club.

Gary James argues in Manchester City: The Complete Record (2006): "Allison arrived at Maine Road in July 1965 as assistant manager to Mercer, and by the time he left City had won almost every trophy possible. During those seven years Allison worked closely with the players and it's worth noting that this relationship fostered a great team spirit, which helped the Blues succeed. His influence was felt throughout the club and his approach was refreshing. His charisma and style brought excitement to sixties Manchester."

In March 1973 Allison was appointed manager of Crystal Palace. However, he was unable to save the club from being relegated to the Second Division. In the 1975-76 season Allison led the side to FA Cup victories over Leeds United, Chelsea and Sunderland. Unfortunately the club lost to Southampton in the semi-final at Stamford Bridge.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Mel you bought me and a good few others some laughs and as others have said another colourful man gone from the game

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I remember Mal and Cloughie being part of the ITV World Cup 1970 panel and as pundits together they were awesome .... a good and a great manager too
RIP Mal

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Started his career with us, although none too convincingly (just two appearances in seven seasons aged 18-25) so I'm pretty sure there will be a minute's silence tomorrow, in there wasn't one planned already (last survivor of our 1946 FA Cup losing team died in the week).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was always fantastic value as an interviewee or a pundit. That Man City team that he and Joe Mercer produced was full of flair. Amazed he never went to Chelsea - if ever a club and a manager were made for each other ...

RIP Big Mal

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I remember him managing Yeovil at Hastings United in a FA Trophy replay. Massive gate at the Pilot Field and it was all over the local papers. And it was just down to his presence.

Fact fans may be interested to know that the man he replaced as Yeovil manager was ...... Barry Lloyd.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Big big Character - never had quite the success on the field to match his character. For me the Brighton/Palace thing started in the third division when it was Cloughie's Brighton v Big Al's Palace. Then it was really a battle of the big named managers, little did we know then quite how potent this fixture would become.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I liked him for his Man City work but not for his palace work, apart form te relegation of course. Great character who brought the Fedora to Football.

I like the following quotes taken from the BBC site :

MALCOLM ALLISON QUOTES

"A lot of hard work went into this defeat"

"You're not a real manager unless you've been sacked."

"John Bond has blackened my name with his insinuations about the private lives of football managers. Both my wives are upset."

crackers

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here