Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Ike Turner

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't have that many regrets in life but one that I do have is that my dad offered to take me to see the Ike and Tina Soul Revue in 1969 and, because I'd never heard of them, I said no. Damn it, do I wish I'd said yes.

RIP Ike - he's had a lot of bad press since his ex-wife's book. It's worth noting that he denies all the accusations - my guess is that the truth lies halfway between but no-one will ever know. He contributed a lot to rock and soul music though and deserves to be remembered.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I don't have that many regrets in life but one that I do have is that my dad offered to take me to see the Ike and Tina Soul Revue in 1969 and, because I'd never heard of them, I said no. Damn it, do I wish I'd said yes.

RIP Ike - he's had a lot of bad press since his ex-wife's book. It's worth noting that he denies all the accusations - my guess is that the truth lies halfway between but no-one will ever know. He contributed a lot to rock and soul music though and deserves to be remembered.

Part of the Wikipedia write up........................

Tina accused Ike of violent spousal abuse, which Ike repeatedly denied for many years. However, in his 2001 autobiography Ike admitted, Sure, I've slapped Tina... There have been times when I punched her to the ground without thinking. But I never beat her.

Turner has attributed many problems off the stage to his drug and alcohol addiction and intense use of cocaine, resulting in his abusive behavior and relationship with his wife and children. Since being released from prison in 1993, Turner had maintained sobriety and continued playing music.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What ? Classic record whoever the artists were and their behaviour off stage.

Indeed. The creator of RDMH deserves to be remembered for that, if nothing else.

I'm not condoning domestic violence but one should distinguish the artist from the man. his abuse of Tina (clearly real, however exaggerated her account is) no more invalidates his work than, to quote George Orwell, the second-best bed invalidates Hamlet.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I agree. River Deep and Mountain High isn't exactly rock and roll either.
:rolleyes:

Blooming hell, Yorkie. You really set yourself up to be knocked down at times don't you?

One song isn't representative of his output 20 years before. You might as well say "My ding a ling" is not rock n roll, ergo Chuck Berry wasn't a rock n roll pioneer.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Rock 'n' roll pioneer: tick.

Violent drug abusing wife beater: tick.

And every other musician in the world is a teetotalling pacifist saint: er, no.

Will I miss him now he's gone? No.

Did I enjoy his music? Yes.

And can I respectfully remember and acknowledge his contribution to musical history? Yes.

RIP Ike for all your faults.

(Can I also point out that Tina's post-Ike solo stuff was "simply the worst"? Thank you.)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

And can I respectfully remember and acknowledge his contribution to musical history? Yes.

(Can I also point out that Tina's post-Ike solo stuff was "simply the worst"? Thank you.)

:clap::clap::clap: Excellent summing up.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ike Turner. Wife beater and Junky. You will not be missed by me.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea

Spot on.

By the way, Ike Turner witnessed the brutal murder of his father by a white mob at the age of 8. (tick)

I'm not saying that excuses the disgusting crime of wife-beating, oh no, but might clarify the level of his f*ckedupness somewhat.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Personally I'm not a huge fan of wife-beaters, but what rock star has ever been 100% perfect (as Truffle said). Even Freddie Mercury had his vices (mostly other men) but he is greatly missed.

My only concern is will people miss Axl Rose as much when he is gone (another famous wife beater)? I doubt it very much, although he has had a huge influence in modern music.

RIP Ike, may your memory live on through your music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here