Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rio ferdinand

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Ah Ok. Thanks.

It's just with the lack of anyone speaking out to what exactly the protest is about, it makes it near on impossible to understand the point of it!

The irony is (a very simplistic view coming up here), I have never looked out specifically for the black players on a team for any reason...yet on Saturday I was looking out for which black players wern't wearing the shirt. Seemed kind of ironic when the whole issue is about equality. Again simplistic.

Not simplistic at all, you make a very good point. Nick Griffin and The BNP must be rubbing their hands with glee at the stupidity of the Ferdinands, the Jasons and their cronies.
Every week we see united teams of black and white footballers celebrating goals together, with no thought of colour or creed. We support our teams with no thought of the colour of the players in those teams. Now, along come these pampered fools stirring up trouble where there's virtually none. Rio the dimwit could succeed in turning back the clock on race relations forty years, though I trust it will a damp squib.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not simplistic at all, you make a very good point. Nick Griffin and The BNP must be rubbing their hands with glee at the stupidity of the Ferdinands, the Jasons and their cronies.
Every week we see united teams of black and white footballers celebrating goals together, with no thought of colour or creed. We support our teams with no thought of the colour of the players in those teams. Now, along come these pampered fools stirring up trouble where there's virtually none. Rio the dimwit could succeed in turning back the clock on race relations forty years, though I trust it will a damp squib.

John Terry, Suarez, the England u21 game.......virtually none? That's 3 more high profile cases than I can remember from say the year prior to Suarez's misdemeanor.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Can you please refrain from using singular terms in a plural sense please. I'll let you have Ferdinand as there are obviously two but 'the Jasons' please.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Perfectly encapsulated, also i like the fact that you mention griffin and the bnp in the same sentence as roberts and ferdinand etc, two sets of morons on opposite sides .

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
John Terry, Suarez, the England u21 game.......virtually none? That's 3 more high profile cases than I can remember from say the year prior to Suarez's misdemeanor.
I'd be interested to know quite how the kick it out campaign and a black players association would have any bearing on the behaviour of fans and officials in serbia , as for your mention of the suarez and terry incidents , considering the amount of professional players and games played in this country, yes, virtually none.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

What's the Under 21 game got to do with race relations in this country? John Terry said ONE word and has been punished for it. Suarez came from another continent, used language deemed unacceptable here, and was punished for it. So yes, virtually none. I remember the seventies and no-one would have dreamed then that the game in 2012 could be so free of racism, on the field and off.
The fool Ferdinand and his gang risk bringing division where is none. He also just happens to be the most serious racist offender in the last year, but he's too thick headed to even appreciate it!

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Can you please refrain from using singular terms in a plural sense please. I'll let you have Ferdinand as there are obviously two but 'the Jasons' please.
The Ferdinand Brothers and the two Jasons, Roberts and Brown, Brown being the Aberdeen and Wales goalkeeper who has been particularly vociferous in the last couple of weeks.
I actually share your dislike of terms such as "The Arsenals of this world, or The Wayne Rooneys" when there's only one of each; thankfully when it comes to the latter.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

If i'm going to be picky, I would say the Terry case is the only one which really raised the issue of racism in THIS country's football.

The Suarez issue (not making an excuse) was clearly BAD but also that grey area of him using a word which culturally means something nowehere NEAR as offensive. Again, not an excuse, but I think ceretainly not in the same league as Terry's.

The England game was ABROAD and showed no instances of an racist attitude in this country or by our players. The very fact we were OUTRAGED was, if anything, a sign that we have done a massive job in trying to stamp it out.

The Terry case and the punishment is the only one which I think raises any issues.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I heard ark McCamon on TS yesterday and he said all the PFA did was refer him to Kic it Out whodon't represent (and clearly cannot afford to) black players in legal action.

Suggestions that balck layers self fund Kick it Ot because their union does not represent them isunfair and discriminatory in my view

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Every week we see united teams of black and white footballers celebrating goals together, with no thought of colour or creed. We support our teams with no thought of the colour of the players in those teams.

How many of these 'united' teams have a black manager or assistant? How many of the teams have black representatives on their board of directors? How many black representatives are there at the FA? Do you think football as an institution is really clear of any racial inequality whatsoever, that virtually none exists?

Really? An England captain can call a fellow professional a black bastard and get just a 4 match rest? Laughable. We then go to some other country and claim they should be banned for 5 or 10 years while our own international captain got 4 games and barely a slap on the wrist. It is no great surprise this has caused the issue to erupt, and that many of the games black professionals feel they are not being represented strongly enough.

As Bushy has pointed out, the police has the NBPA, which far from being an exclusive body, aims to represent the concerns of minority officers, promote positive race relations through understanding, and offer mentoring, guidance and equality of opportunity through the force and is seen as a progressive part of how our police force moves forward (from clearly within some forces an institutionally racist past). It was actually the commissioner of the Met Police who said it was the only viable way for the force to move forward.

I have no idea what Ferdinand is actually proposing, but in 2012, the lack of a diverse representation especially in the management and senior positions within the game is alarming. Any other sector would be asked serious questions as to why this was the case.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
How many of these 'united' teams have a black manager or assistant? How many of the teams have black representatives on their board of directors? How many black representatives are there at the FA? Do you think football as an institution is really clear of any racial inequality whatsoever, that virtually none exists?

Really? An England captain can call a fellow professional a black bastard and get just a 4 match rest? Laughable. We then go to some other country and claim they should be banned for 5 or 10 years while our own international captain got 4 games and barely a slap on the wrist. It is no great surprise this has caused the issue to erupt, and that many of the games black professionals feel they are not being represented strongly enough.

As Bushy has pointed out, the police has the NBPA, which far from being an exclusive body, aims to represent the concerns of minority officers, promote positive race relations through understanding, and offer mentoring, guidance and equality of opportunity through the force and is seen as a progressive part of how our police force moves forward (from clearly within some forces an institutionally racist past). It was actually the commissioner of the Met Police who said it was the only viable way for the force to move forward.I have no idea what Ferdinand is actually proposing, but in 2012, the lack of a diverse representation especially in the management and senior positions within the game is alarming. Any other sector would be asked serious questions as to why this was the case.

hahahaha you've got to be f***ing joking , is this the same association thats had such paragons of virtue as ali dizaei as its head , the same association that advised black men against giving dna samples in the hunt for the nighstalker rapist because it was discriminatory , as for the lack of representation of blacks in management and board level , black players have stated in the past that they arent interested in doing badges , and the paul inces and john barnes's of this world have hardly set the world alight have they ? Can you show me any figures for black former players that have applied for jobs and been turned down in favour of inferior white candidates ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
as for the lack of representation of blacks in management and board level, black players have stated in the past that they arent interested in doing badges , and the paul inces and john barnes's of this world have hardly set the world alight have they ? Can you show me any figures for black former players that have applied for jobs and been turned down in favour of inferior white candidates ?

Well, you've actually made the point quite well. You've decided on the voice of your own representative group for why this is the case. I actually find it amusing that you can state 'black players have stated...' without any recourse to numbers or statistics, then ask for statistics of how many former black players have been turned down for jobs! I wonder if it's as many as those that aren't interested in doing badges?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Ferdinand Brothers and the two Jasons, Roberts and Brown, Brown being the Aberdeen and Wales goalkeeper who has been particularly vociferous in the last couple of weeks.
I actually share your dislike of terms such as "The Arsenals of this world, or The Wayne Rooneys" when there's only one of each; thankfully when it comes to the latter.

Fair enough, I have never heard of Jason Brown.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, you've actually made the point quite well. You've decided on the voice of your own representative group for why this is the case. I actually find it amusing that you can state 'black players have stated...' without any recourse to numbers or statistics, then ask for statistics of how many former black players have been turned down for jobs! I wonder if it's as many as those that aren't interested in doing badges?

Looking deeper than that - would the percieved lack of opportunities, be disuading these men from training to be coaches / managers?

Perhaps they feel they would be wasting three years of their lives taking a load of badges, if nobody is going to give them a chance at the end of it?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Looking deeper than that - would the percieved lack of opportunities, be disuading these men from training to be coaches / managers?

Perhaps they feel they would be wasting three years of their lives taking a load of badges, if nobody is going to give them a chance at the end of it?
Yes , thats exactly who i'd want coaching my team , someone with the attitude " whats the point, I wont get it anyway" , nothing like a bit of a can do attitude is there ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes , thats exactly who i'd want coaching my team , someone with the attitude " whats the point, I wont get it anyway" , nothing like a bit of a can do attitude is there ?

This discussion was about numbers bushy. It doesn't preclude a driven and bright individual from stepping up (Chris Powell, for example), but it might help to explain your suggestion, that there are not loads of black players being turned down for jobs.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There have been plenty of articles on the subject, paul ince has stated that black players dont bother taking coaching badges because " they know there wont be a job at the end of it " , well thats exactly the attitude that would discourage me from employing someone, john barnes has said he has applied for jobs but didnt even hear back , wonder why john ? is it because you're black or have proved that you're a totally gash manger ? same as keith connor of wolves who " wants to be judged on his cv , not just to make up the numbers " well judging by his cv he wont be getting a job anytime soon will he ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Iconsidering the amount of professional players and games played in this country, yes, virtually none.

A lot, if not most, crimes thankfully are in the minority/virtually none. Does this mean we should ignore these as well?

Where are you trying to go with this line of thought?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
According to reports on SSN the PFA have been trying to get hold of rio to articulate his issue but to no avail.

From the outside the comments and timing make this look like a personal frustration with the situation surrounding Terry's soft punishment. Particularly as this issue led to rio being sidelined for terry in euros

Perhaps Rio should engage his argument with the PFA or just set up a 'kick out John terry' campaign so this can move on rather than what looks like a self important toys out the pram union forming

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here