Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richie Barker forced to retire

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
My favourite player back in the Gillingham days.

Didn't he come and watch us at a Northern Away game a few years back as well?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just about the only positive thing i can remember about Gillingham (apart from perhaps the comfy padded seats in the "gold" ticket area that we always sat in but never paid for)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Very sad news, I hope he has a trade to fall back on.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
His antics - I remember a great goal up at Peterborough - were a real highlight during a fairly grim time. Great player, great attitude.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Also remember the Bear at his Gillingham Days. Didn’t we get him from Lindfield? Also he couldn’t score a goal for toffee at the start of his period with us. However, once he scored that first he went on a roll.

Maybe Craig Davies will prove similar?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
absolute legend - one of my favourite ever players

i might even write to him to express this

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Also remember the Bear at his Gillingham Days. Didn’t we get him from Lindfield? Also he couldn’t score a goal for toffee at the start of his period with us. However, once he scored that first he went on a roll.

Maybe Craig Davies will prove similar?

but davies has scored for us already therefor its different

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
for anyone who wants to pass on their regards to the great man, you can e-mail media@rotherhamunited.net who will then pass on the message

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used to quite like him but it's a bit puke inspiring to see how he is now remembered as some sort of legend as the Albion fans at Gillingham gave him SHIT initially and I remember very clearly the way he want from looking really chuffed to a bit hangdog as the ironic pisstaking chant went out "Barker's scored a goal he's scored a goal etc" when he eventually broke his duck.

He did become a bit of a cult hero after that due to his workrate and the fact that he left to be near his ill father.

No way is he the legend that some would have us believe now though

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
His antics - I remember a great goal up at Peterborough - were a real highlight during a fairly grim time. Great player, great attitude.

:thumbsup:

Winning at Peterborough was about as good as it got in those dark days. We actually looked like we might be getting somewhere with Barker & Hart up front and then Brian Horton left.

I loved Richie Barker - a good honest pro.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
He became a legend because of his attitude. Gave me a lift to Gillingham in his car a couple of times and caught up with him for a few beers in the pub near Millmoor when I had a Rotherham season ticket. Top bloke, funny as fook. Eighteen goals in 170 games, can that be right? Seems ridiculously unprolific for a decent striker.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
He may not be a legend in the Zamora/Ward sense but it was such a desperate time that we needed somebody with the right attitude and a bit of drive to help drag us out of the mire. Had he not moved north he would have been another OGH i'm sure.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He may not be a legend in the Zamora/Ward sense but it was such a desperate time that we needed somebody with the right attitude and a bit of drive to help drag us out of the mire. Had he not moved north he would have been another OGH i'm sure.
Agreed, they were indeed DESPARATE times and whilst Barker was no Zamora he was good for us then. I'm not surprised he's got 'cult' status, we were so shit then that there are people who STILL seriously think that Jeff Minton was a decent player simply because he stood out in a crap team. I think he thought he was good as well, but most people realised the truth when he went to Port Vale and sunk without trace.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
I used to quite like him but it's a bit puke inspiring to see how he is now remembered as some sort of legend as the Albion fans at Gillingham gave him SHIT initially and I remember very clearly the way he want from looking really chuffed to a bit hangdog as the ironic pisstaking chant went out "Barker's scored a goal he's scored a goal etc" when he eventually broke his duck.

He did become a bit of a cult hero after that due to his workrate and the fact that he left to be near his ill father.

No way is he the legend that some would have us believe now though

Your opinion differs from mine. He was one of the high spots of Gillingham life, and especially some piss-poor away trips too.

The fact that he won the fans (including me) over is part of what makes him a...

:Legend:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here