Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richie Barker forced to retire

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Eighteen goals in 170 games, can that be right? Seems ridiculously unprolific for a decent striker.

a fair few of those rotherham appearances were off the bench - and, much like with gary hart, when he was starting and getting a run in the team he was very much more a provider of goals with his work rate and unselfishness - alan lee would not have had as much success at rotherham without richie. and as you said, he is a bloody nice bloke as well

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
My second favourite albion player ever behind Michel:bowdown:

I don't know where all this stuff about him only scoring 18 goals is coming from. According to wikipedia he's scored about 120 in his career, and seeing as he scored 12 in one season for us I can't believe he's only found the net 6 more times in the last 10 years!

18 for rotherham :thumbsup:

The times at Gillingham were dark days indeed and his effort was one of the few shining lights that made watching BHA worthwile

So he may not have had the goalscoring prolificness of Zamora or Ward, but at the time we were so desperete for aa ray of light that we were relying on Damien Hilton (might as well have been relying on Paris Hilton!)

One of the few players at Gillingham who could not be faulted for effort and effect

RESPECT TO THE BEAR:bowdown::bowdown:

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Oh right. Well to be fair to him, he did play for them in the championship so you'd expect his strike rate to go down. His record is better than 1 in 3 for Macclesfield, Hartlepool and Mansfield so don't let it be said that the man doesn't know where the goal is!

and when he was given a run in the team, he was more of the assister for alan lee lee lee. sedgwick and monkhouse RAMPAGING down the flanks with richie setting up alan who promptly BANGED them in - poetry in motion

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
and when he was given a run in the team, he was more of the assister for alan lee lee lee. sedgwick and monkhouse RAMPAGING down the flanks with richie setting up alan who promptly BANGED them in - poetry in motion

Don't, I'll get emotional. That Brentford game.

Although whether Monkey could ever have been described as "rampaging" is open to debate...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The poor bloke is only 33. Richie was a decent player when he played for us. Big and strong , he made Hilton look like a pansy.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I always liked the effort he put in. He wasn't exactly Michael Robinson or Bobby Z but he was an honest grafter and as someone who's own football contributions are about a trillion times less than he produced I can't criticise him. I too think he was one of the few good memories of Gillingham (Gary Hart being the other).

Also big respect for the way in which he moved up north becase his father was ill and he wanted to be nearer his family. Someone who had his priorities right.

Only black mark is he never responded when I asked him (when he was at Macclesfiled) if he'd do an interview for Seaside Saga. But life is too short to moan about that. Good luck whatever you do in the future, Ritchie; and fond memories.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here