Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2024 thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At the start of the year, and after my exploits in Marseille and an abandoned trip to Paris, I decided to try and identify a French restaurant I could frequent. I think I’ve found it, but given I’ve only sampled two others, the research isn’t very broad to date.

So, Friday took me to https://irmaladouce.de/ for the second time. A stylish but relaxed place with a very tight menu of obvious French dishes and wines I recognise. What they lack in imagination they certainly make up for in presentation and execution, so much so they obtained a star a few years back.

A bottle of French fizzy wine and some oysters kicked off the evening and the perusal of the menu. Steak tartar followed, then perfectly cooked sweetbreads and a main of bouillabaisse. Cheese, plus the first red of the evening followed. Last time I had their beef bourguignon which was exceptional, bouillabaisse was excellent but not quite at the same level. It’s the asparagus season over here, the Germans go mad for this, and a French menu wasn’t going to be spared the madness. …my German friend could not resist. The Frau said the tartlet thing was superb.

Last night was very different, The Bird‘s 18th birthday party. This is the burger joint I often mention. It was excellent to celebrate, eat and drink and shot with them…..and witness the napalm wing competition. I once had three napalm wings and was pissing fire the next morning. The four contestants were all at least 20 plus deep and sweating and heaving before a winner was declared; I dread to think what their Sunday porcelain performances were like. I wanted to try the beer-pong but young people in baseball caps hogged the table. It’s a cultured life I lead.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Erawan in Lewes was always pretty good for a takeaway. And I always try to pop into Pestle and Mortar for lunch.
Yes Pestle and Mortar is great for lunch, annoying they don't really do evenings.
Erawan is very good as well.

Heard great things about Squisito and Dill but my attempts to visit have been thwarted so far.

This place looks pretty good and has only been open a month

And Cafe Vegu at the top of town is very good vegan Korean cafe for lunch

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes Pestle and Mortar is great for lunch, annoying they don't really do evenings.
Erawan is very good as well.

Heard great things about Squisito and Dill but my attempts to visit have been thwarted so far.

This place looks pretty good and has only been open a month

And Cafe Vegu at the top of town is very good vegan Korean cafe for lunch

Vegu definitely on my list too. I meant to go there last summer but didn't have time. Same with Dill.

Hadn't heard of no.34 before. Will add it to the list.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Continuing my alternative surf and turf theme, duck liver and smoked eel.

5FB00BE3-9099-4BC9-94CB-3CE7AD9B6610.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now that's an interesting combo. How was it?
Very good, both very strong flavours. It was sat on a bread thing , maybe that could have been crisped up to provide some extra texture but otherwise good.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I went for a decent meal here in Almería last night. They're clearly aiming for a star but not quite there yet. Good value at under 80 euro for a tasting menu + wine flight.

Anyway, perhaps the most interesting thing was a flor eléctrica (electric flower) which was served between courses. According to Wiki, in English they're known as Sichuan Buttons, Tingflowers and Electric Daisies amongst other names. Just a small bud but creates a strong tingling sensation that last a couple of minutes. Delicious? No. But certainly interesting. Anyone else tried one?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
@Herr Tubthumper any ‘non obvious’ Berlin beer / craft recommendations ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
@Herr Tubthumper any ‘non obvious’ Berlin beer / craft recommendations ?
Sure.

Not sure what you exactly mean by “non obvious” but The Muted Horn is my favorite. It’s an independent bar stuffed with great beer. Lovely owners as well. Some outside seating.

But if you want an evening of it and you’re over Friedrichshain way try Bräugier. They’re a local brewery. There’s the lovely Hops and Barley nearby and then you can head to Urban Spree beer garden for some fun. Visit in this order.

Another option with a huge beer garden is BRLO Brewhaus. They have 3 bars so make sure you get the brewhaus at Gleisdreiecke

And if you want burgers I got you covered! :lolol:

If you have any other questions just ask.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS if you want to join your fellow country men there’s hundreds of fans and St George’s crosses draped along the river Spree bars at Schiffbauerdamm.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sure.

Not sure what you exactly mean by “non obvious” but The Muted Horn is my favorite. It’s an independent bar stuffed with great beer. Lovely owners as well. Some outside seating.

But if you want an evening of it and you’re over Friedrichshain way try Bräugier. They’re a local brewery. There’s the lovely Hops and Barley nearby and then you can head to Urban Spree beer garden for some fun. Visit in this order.

Another option with a huge beer garden is BRLO Brewhaus. They have 3 bars so make sure you get the brewhaus at Gleisdreiecke

And if you want burgers I got you covered! :lolol:

If you have any other questions just ask.
Those are the exact kind of recommendations we were after. Just down at Prenzlauer Berg so will head up to Braugier shortly to start with

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Those are the exact kind of recommendations we were after. Just down at Prenzlauer Berg so will head up to Braugier shortly to start with
If in Prenz then have a cheeky beer at Prater Bier garten. Lovely old school place from 1930.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Curry Leaf Cafe has shut down 😞 I think Mowgli & Permit Rooms probably had an impact I’d guess

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here