Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2024 thread

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I was invited to a mates Birthday party at Cote in Brighton over the weekend. This place for me sums up everything that is wrong with some generic chain restaurants.

The service was terrible and the food extremely underwhelming, the french onion soup was tepid and flavourless, the corn fed roasted chicken that some of my friends had looked like it had been delivered by nando's and sat under a hot plate to dry out for an hour! My wife's £12 starter of seared scallops was basically some shrivelled up tiny scallops thrown on top of a pile of frozen peas!

The last time I visited a 'Cote' was in St Albans and must have been at least 15 years ago. It was pretty uninspiring back then and I can't work out for the life of me how these places stay afloat. The meal came to £120 for the two of us without deserts.

I went to one once on my dad's birthday as both my parents like it. The food was a bit meh. Not bad, just underwhelming.

On arrival, I ordered a Negroni, which arrived suspiciously quickly. Later on my mum wanted a Campari but the waiter said they didn't stock it. Then how did they make the Negroni, I asked. Pre-mixed, he explained. That just about sums up their model, I thought.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I went to one once on my dad's birthday as both my parents like it. The food was a bit meh. Not bad, just underwhelming.

On arrival, I ordered a Negroni, which arrived suspiciously quickly. Later on my mum wanted a Campari but the waiter said they didn't stock it. Then how did they make the Negroni, I asked. Pre-mixed, he explained. That just about sums up their model, I thought.
Ha, you're the negroni-swilling wokerati that baulks at being the pre-mixed negroni-swilling wokerati

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Btw, the raw pork was seasoned minced raw pork which is known as Mett or Hackepeter.

I’m still thinking about this dish 2 days later.
Do be careful with the raw pork...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do be careful with the raw pork...

Brain worms…..could explain a lot. :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pre-mixed Negroni, good lord.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Pre-mixed Negroni, good lord.
What are your feelings on pre-mixed Mojito...?

SEI_63440506.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In order to offer an alternative opinion, I have been to Cote restaurants in a number of different towns over a number of years and have found them consistently good. Good food, good service, good value. Last one was Sloane Square last month. Very good.
I'll offer the alternative back. Myself and Mrs WS went just for a quick lunch a while back - Mrs WS's chicken was as good as raw - sent back twice and still not good. My fish was so over cooked it could have been an old bit of carpet. Despite what they claim, Cote are anything but French - just a Harvester with a different name. And that's before we even get on to their dodgy business practices such as witholding service charges from staff or their owning company The Partners Group being anything but ethical.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What are your feelings on pre-mixed Mojito...?
I get the concept for trains and picnics as etc. But bars and restaurants I’d want it made for me. Negroni’s are pretty simple to make.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm going to be back in Brighton for a couple of weeks in August. Where should I eat? Palmito is definitely on my list.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm going to be back in Brighton for a couple of weeks in August. Where should I eat? Palmito is definitely on my list.
Bonsai Plant Kitchen, Squisito in Lewes. If you don't know Fourth & Church or Burger Brothers, give them a go.
I'm still yet to do Palmito.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Bonsai Plant Kitchen, Squisito in Lewes. If you don't know Fourth & Church or Burger Brothers, give them a go.
I'm still yet to do Palmito.

I've been to Fourth & Church and BB. Bonsai PK looks interesting; in fact I just reread Grace Dent's review before posting my comment. Squisito sounds good too and I'll actually be staying in Lewes so that's a good shout.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've been to Fourth & Church and BB. Bonsai PK looks interesting; in fact I just reread Grace Dent's review before posting my comment. Squisito sounds good too and I'll actually be staying in Lewes so that's a good shout.
Done LFM?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not that I know of but, if there are, I'd like to know about it. I've a feeling this might be BYO:

I always used to like the place at the back of the Asian supermarket at the Hove end of Western Road. I forget the name. Is it still there?

Edit: Just checked. Unithai and it's actually Church Road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here