Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Resentment towards new Falmer fans

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I'm not an uber fan by any stretch of the imagination but I have probably averaged 15-20 games a season at Withdean, suffering the cold, wind and rain along with the other 5K of hardcore fans.

Now I'm as enthusiastic as the next bloke about Falmer but I do find myself feeling a bit resentful towards all the 'fans' that are crawling out of the woodwork now the new stadium is only a year or so away. I realise that for Falmer and the club to be a success we need to be attracting gates of 15K+ along with all the corporate hospitality stuff. However at work yesterday the MD of one of the companies we supply was waxing lyrical about his purchase of two platinum tickets which he will have for life, and that he will be able to access exclusive bars and restaurants. When I asked him about this he told me that he has always been an Albion fan but had never attended a game a Withdean. I had to bite my tongue because it looks as though I'm not even guaranteed a ticket for the first match unless I buy a season ticket.

I hope we get big crowds, I hope all the corporate stuff helps to fund a decent team but I also hope the club doesn't forget all those that turned out week in week out at Withdean.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What do you want the club to do? Give us all special badges? Or would you rather 5-6000 of us rattled around in Falmer? Who cares, lets get it filled!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Im slightly concerned that for any glamour away matches, only the corporates will be able to get tickets.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
How many games must someone attend before they're 'worthy' of a seat at Falmer? FFS just enjoy it! Were you annoyed that 6,000 turned up at Withdean for the first game when only 2,000 went to Gillingham?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm not an uber fan by any stretch of the imagination but I have probably averaged 15-20 games a season at Withdean, suffering the cold, wind and rain along with the other 5K of hardcore fans.

Now I'm as enthusiastic as the next bloke about Falmer but I do find myself feeling a bit resentful towards all the 'fans' that are crawling out of the woodwork now the new stadium is only a year or so away. I realise that for Falmer and the club to be a success we need to be attracting gates of 15K+ along with all the corporate hospitality stuff. However at work yesterday the MD of one of the companies we supply was waxing lyrical about his purchase of two platinum tickets which he will have for life, and that he will be able to access exclusive bars and restaurants. When I asked him about this he told me that he has always been an Albion fan but had never attended a game a Withdean. I had to bite my tongue because it looks as though I'm not even guaranteed a ticket for the first match unless I buy a season ticket.

I hope we get big crowds, I hope all the corporate stuff helps to fund a decent team but I also hope the club doesn't forget all those that turned out week in week out at Withdean.

Agreed to a point, but if we are to be successful, we need his money as much as we do yours, it's simple economics. For me, if the likes of this person helps to swell the coffers so we can buy better players etc, then I'm happy.

I can't imagine that all 22,500 seats will be sold as season tickets

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Well at least you're being honest and I am certainly in the category of someone who calls themselves an Albion 'fan' but who doesn't attend (hardly) any matches these days. However I don't see how the club can 'remember' those who went week in week out to Withdean. They don't 'remember' me and I went week in week out to the Goldstone in good times and bad, and I went to I reckon nearly half the Saturday games at Gillingham.

Also, like you say you Withdeaners are going to need all us new, lapsed, fairweather, part-time, plastic, corporate, whatever fans to fill Falmer. The alternative is a big white elephant with just you 6000 rattling around in it. So come on, swallow your resentment and just be grateful that people DO want to come and be a part of our exciting future.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

i also agree to some extent, however there are a lot of people who have fallen out of love with the Albion and we need to get them back on board.

I think being a realist, the chances of us filling the ground every week is remote unless we are really flying in the Championship or by some miracle we get into the premiership. It will probably settle down around the 12to 15 k mark and then places will be available to all.

On another tack, I would love to see a Season Ticket that allowed access to the ground as opposed to a specific seat in a specific stand. From personal experience, buying a ST in an area full of twats will certainly not be a pleasant experience if you are forced to sit in your seat.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
I see your point but as said above we need his money as much as yours, u can sit in your seat at Falmer knowing that you were there through the dark days and no prawn sandwich eating champagne coiffing corperate type can take that away from you.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I have to confess that I'm looking forward to joining in with the first rendition of "Where were you when we were shit.. " :lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have to confess that I'm looking forward to joining in with the first rendition of "Where were you when we were shit.. " :lolol:
Only those of us who went to Gillingham will be allowed to sing that! At least the club haven't been TOTALLY shit at Withdean! :lolol:

I had to bite my tongue because it looks as though I'm not even guaranteed a ticket for the first match unless I buy a season ticket.
QUOTE]

I think it just shows what a great job the marketing team have done so far in selling the premium seats.

But as for not getting a ticket for the 1st match unless you are a STH, this is balderdash!

I think we would be very fortunate to sell 8000 ST's in our 1st year, maybe 10% more is we were in the championship. In the 30 years I have been a supporter, I dont we we have every sold this many.

So, even with a big away attendance, it will still leave 12,000 for sale. Now I agree the 1st game will likely be a sell out, but I reckon, blue/white members in the 10/11 season will get 1st dibs, and if so, there will be plenty to go around.

Don't fret, enjoy whats to come

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Oh! Good, all the over 40's can sing that to all the young whipper-snappers. :clap:

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Im slightly concerned that for any glamour away matches, only the corporates will be able to get tickets.

This is my concern too.
As for plastic fans etc, well I am drumming up the support at work, getting the 'Prem' supporters to think about watching 'live' football that is not in HD!
I send them the link with the latest updates from Falmer
If they enjoy it then they might take their mates, mates who have kids, and the kids might just wear an Albion shirt for the rest of their lives!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

I know what you mean, but i really wouldn't worry about it. You'll get a ST if you want one. I don't think like others are saying we will sell out (or come close) i expecting a half full stadium in league 1. Top end of championship 3/4 full. But for the Albion's sake i hope it is fuller than my predictions.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh

But this is the Albion... it would have to be "where were you when we were good, then shit, then good again, then shit, etc. etc."

Which doesn't scan so well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The money paid by a fan who bowls up at Falmer for the 1st time is no different to the money of a fan who has been to every game for 20 years. There are only uberfans in their own minds. The more the merrier imo and I don't care if they were Chelsea/United or Palace fans before :shrug:

Yes a few thousand have stuck by in good and bad times but you are still "just" fans and in the big new picture no more valuable than the new fans...but thanks for your support in the bad times and too bad you haven't got that seat with a name plaque on it that you were promised, but you're not REALLY suprised are you? :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is interesting a some fans want the small town mentality and will resent the phoenix rising from the ashes.

Everything will change at Falmer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here