Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reports of Cox demise are greatly ecaggerated

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Now we've got some bigger, stronger, better players in it's much easier to see how ineffective Cox and Robinson are.

Cox obviously has some talent, but he can't beat anyone for pace (legs too short), and doesn't have the tricks to buy himself a yard. Consequently, his crosses are predictable .. and that's when he doesn't run into trouble, which is most of the time. About one in five at best are good deliveries - watch how Thornton, McLeod or Savage can whip in a centre and it's obvious what we've been missing.

As for Robinson. Three words. Blue Square Premier.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would certainly agree with the view that Cox looked lively for about 20 minutes in each half, and then completely disappeared. When we were under pressure in the second half he drifted inside too much, giving us no outlet down the left side, thus stifling our attempts to attack. In fact that’s probably the main reason we had to revert to longer balls down the middle and right, as there was nobody to release the ball to down the right.

On the crossing front, there were 3 crosses from the right that summed Coxy up. In all 3 cases he had to check back onto his right foot. They all beat the 1st defender – check . However, the first 2 went straight to the keeper (with no outswing on them) and the 3rd was a good cross, but behind everyone. He then went missing.

Robinson looked very weak when he came on…

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Cox never got enough of the ball in the 2nd half, thought him and Jake looked up for it last night(as well they should).

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Had a good fist half, still very predictalbe, doesn't run at defences like Joe does. Completely disapeared in the second half.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Cox is a good player who is sometimes guilty of taking his foot off the gas.

Robinson is a good player, who has been used as a sub for half of his short career.

However neither of them are MA's type of players

Wilkins got the best out of Cox.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Cox is a good player who is sometimes guilty of taking his foot off the gas.

Robinson is a good player, who has been used as a sub for half of his short career.

However neither of them are MA's type of players

Wilkins got the best out of Cox.

Yet Robinson again came on last night and looked ineffective and light weight and did not have the nerve to be in the first 5 penalty takers.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Yet Robinson again came on last night and looked ineffective and light weight and did not have the nerve to be in the first 5 penalty takers.

I can't comment on last night because I wasn't there.

Although to be fair to him I heard, through an undisclosed source, that he thought he had fractured his foot during last night's game.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Then he should have asked to come off, rather than again the other players having to carry him.

Maybe so?

But put yourself in his position. He never has a chance to impress anymore, and he must have been DESPERATE to do so last night. Maybe that's why he decided to struggle on, even if it was the wrong decision.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe so?

But put yourself in his position. He never has a chance to impress anymore, and he must have been DESPERATE to do so last night. Maybe that's why he decided to struggle on, even if it was the wrong decision.

I struggle to have much sympathy there, as he has had a number of chances and normally not taken them. There is talent there, Huddersfield away in 2006 showed that, but he cannot do it on a regular basis and has gone so far backwards, it would be best for all parties that he move on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I struggle to have much sympathy there, as he has had a number of chances and normally not taken them. There is talent there, Huddersfield away in 2006 showed that, but he cannot do it on a regular basis and has gone so far backwards, it would be best for all parties that he move on.

Agreed. Both players have had ample opportunity to impress - far more than they would have had at any other club.

Funny how we never have these discussions about Tommy Elphick, who took his chance and made the shirt his own.

By the logic of many people on here, Elphick must be one of "Micky's favourites" .. or perhaps it's just that when the manager came in and assessed the squad without any preconceptions, he pretty soon worked out who is going to be able to contribute long term.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I can't believe that peolple are writing off Dean Cox. Over twenty assists and over 20 goals in his first two season (top in assists for both those seasons). If Gary Hart is worth another year Dean Cox is worth another five.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
DC has had a dip in form, it is to be expected from a young player. He has done it before and always returns with fire and enthusiasm.

I'm sure we all at work have off days, but that doesn't mean we are past it/never had it/ should be sacked.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
DC has had a dip in form, it is to be expected from a young player. He has done it before and always returns with fire and enthusiasm.

I'm sure we all at work have off days, but that doesn't mean we are past it/never had it/ should be sacked.

It's just laughable. I love the way that people are writing him off now we have Thornton and Ayinsah. Erm, they're on loan chaps!

Key thing is, he's playing out of position on the left. Anyone who's played football knows how hard it is to whip a ball in from the byline with your weaker foot. When Wilkins swutched him to the right/middle last season he was a revelation. Good player, get behind him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here