Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Replica Watches - yay nor nay?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
This.

Rolex is soooooo passe dahling....

Real or not , you are a wannabee......

Phillipe Patek, Breitling, Tag Heur, Tissot say so much more about you.

Mind you, I am from the gayest part of the world here in deepest Hove!:smokin:

You just can't afford one that is all. Get yourself a Rolex, best watches in the world.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
OK, my left wrist is home to one of these:

SMA001P_big.jpg

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Go for it, if you are happy funding criminals.

I always find the association between dodgy market-traders selling fake goods, or pirated DVD and "funding organised crime" as bit difficult to believe. Are there really drug gangs out there who are struggling to make ends meet selling crack, and have to rely on there being a market out there for a fake rolex or a shaky Harry Potter film?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I always find the association between dodgy market-traders selling fake goods, or pirated DVD and "funding organised crime" as bit difficult to believe. Are there really drug gangs out there who are struggling to make ends meet selling crack, and have to rely on there being a market out there for a fake rolex or a shaky Harry Potter film?

The original selling of fake cassette tapes heavily subsidised the IRA still you have a choice..........

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I bought a genuine Rollex of a bloke in the pub.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

There was a very interesting article in the Observer a while back. Lots of the pirated DVDs fund criminal gangs in China (i.e. Snakeheads etc). The sellers are loaned money to go to England with a promise of a job (they sellers are smuggled in), but never make enough money from their sales to pay their loan back. Their families at home are threatened and they are effectively trapped. Children are also used to sell the DVDs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why would someone want to wear something of greater value than they can actually afford? There is your answer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The original selling of fake cassette tapes heavily subsidised the IRA still you have a choice..........

Gun and drug running and other criminal miscellany obviously did not pay then?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My mate, a frequent visitor to Thailand, is adamant the fakes are just being knocked out of the same factory, as the originals, just through the back door.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I collect fakes (copies what what ever you want to call them) and there are lots of fairly decent ones coming out now, although they also have a price tag to go with them. Some fake day date just can cost as much as £1500 (copy of a watch costing £30,000 or so). Not sure it is worth paying that much on a fake watch though.

All the watches I wear are genuine the fakes are just a collection.

If anyone has any fakes out there they no longer want I might be interested in taking them off your hands but won't pay anything for them as they usually have no value but am willing to make a donation to charity.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
There was a very interesting article in the Observer a while back. Lots of the pirated DVDs fund criminal gangs in China (i.e. Snakeheads etc). The sellers are loaned money to go to England with a promise of a job (they sellers are smuggled in), but never make enough money from their sales to pay their loan back. Their families at home are threatened and they are effectively trapped. Children are also used to sell the DVDs

So you SHOULD buy the pirated DVDs to try and help them sell enough?

Nah, sorry, scare tactics by the media to try and discourage you from buying fake gear. If there was so much money in it that's how the criminal world was FUNDED, why would they waste their time with dangerous activities like drugs and armed robbery, if there was so much money to be made down the market.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My mate, a frequent visitor to Thailand, is adamant the fakes are just being knocked out of the same factory, as the originals, just through the back door.

Happens alot with PC parts too

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So you SHOULD buy the pirated DVDs to try and help them sell enough?

Nah, sorry, scare tactics by the media to try and discourage you from buying fake gear. If there was so much money in it that's how the criminal world was FUNDED, why would they waste their time with dangerous activities like drugs and armed robbery, if there was so much money to be made down the market.

Low setup costs. Low risk. High returns.

Police shut down huge pirate DVD factory | UK news | The Guardian

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I doubt that Santa can stretch to a Tag Heuer Monaco watch this year (£2,500ish), so was considering buying a replica after the festivities had died down.

However, from what I've read in the paper and seen on the news 'fake' goods can fund crime and are often crap quality.

So, my NSC brethren, should I steer clear of 'replica' watches? Is there any particular place I could look to get a decent quality replica that doesn't fund Osama or drugs?

Or should I stick to real (not fake) watches?

The real deal:
tag-heuer-monaco-1969-original-re-edition-chrono-watch.jpg

That is one UGLY watch.

A fifteen quid one from your local jeweller will tell you the time just as well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That is one UGLY watch.

A fifteen quid one from your local jeweller will tell you the time just as well.

OK grandad!

3p beans form Tesco's will fill you up, just as well as Heinz.
A clapped out old motor will get you from A to B
George at ASDA jeans will keep you just as warm as some Diesel jeans

blablabla

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
OK grandad!

3p beans form Tesco's will fill you up, just as well as Heinz.
A clapped out old motor will get you from A to B
George at ASDA jeans will keep you just as warm as some Diesel jeans

Right on all counts,except the grandad one.I'll substitute aged and knowledgeable if you like.

Keep that dire watch up your sleeve,and if you want to know the time,ask a policeman.(person)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your mate knows very little about the Swiss watch marques then.
So no high end watches or parts are made in Thailand, or the Asian sub continent, in general?.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Naay from me - if you can't afford the real thing then don't try to look like you can. It's a bit like owning a Porsche Boxter (quote Clarkson i think)...

One of Clarkson's more knobbish comments. He admits to not wanting to like any kind of Porsche and calls a 911 a squashed VW Beetle so I wouldn't put too much store by his comments. I don't have one but a Boxster is the benchmark for all other sub 50k roadsters so I'd quite happily own one and not be even a little embarrased.

I actually have a number of fake watches, my favourite being a Patek Philippe but they really are shit quality and I'm not even sure why I bought them! Don't waste your money is my recommendation.

http://watches.infoniac.com/uimg/patek-philippe-calatrava-line-most-elegant.jpg

I actually wear a Tissot which was not cheap but neither was it silly money.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

taking Bozza's point, not sure about watches depends where they actually manufacture them. it certainly is true for alot of stuff, the chinese factories are putting lots of "fake" stuff out which is either reject, nicked off the line or sometimes using old production lines that are salvaged and rebuilt. electronics, jeans, hand bags, perfumes and also quite scary pharmaceuticals. of course its done by criminal gangs, since they are groups and carrying out a criminal activity. but i dont see how it funds drug running, i'm pretty certain that needs no cross-subsidy from other product lines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here