Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Replica Watches - yay nor nay?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Curious seeing this thread today as had a wander round Harrods yesterday looking at the expensive watches. Some very nice ones for sensible money that you might splash out as a perhaps a lifetime purchase for a special occasion. However also some really obscene ones that were not that nice and not even from the well known Swiss quality brands. The worst example was a bulky looking sports watch from Graham of London which was going for £75k!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
But some of us can afford, there is your answer.

Some of us can afford but have taste or can't see the point of strapping an item worth several thousand pounds to their wrist.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
One of Clarkson's more knobbish comments. He admits to not wanting to like any kind of Porsche and calls a 911 a squashed VW Beetle so I wouldn't put too much store by his comments. I don't have one but a Boxster is the benchmark for all other sub 50k roadsters so I'd quite happily own one and not be even a little embarrased.

Maybe - but the sentiment that anybody (or a definite majority) who drives a Boxster does so because they cannot afford a 911 rings very true.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh dear I own two Rolex watches, I really am tasteless then.

As much as I like Rolex watches when I bought the one I did I spent a long time looking around and trying on watches and the Rolexes as the time were just too chunky for my dainty wrist :blush:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see your dainty wrist and raise you positively weedy.
Chunky metal watches make me look very silly indeed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I see your dainty wrist and raise you positively weedy.
Chunky metal watches make me look very silly indeed.

Oh you bitch, we share so much in common in our dotage

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh dear I own two Rolex watches, I really am tasteless then.

I'm not knocking anyone's ability to afford and/or want to wear an expensive watch. This is fine with me. I was making a point about people not being able to afford such a timepiece wearing a fake to give the impression they can.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A watch is more a piece of jewellery to me than it is a practical timepiece. The real thing normally has an inperceptable look about it, and you just know yourself that it's real. Would you buy your missis a huge bit of cubic zirconia and expect her to wear it and pass it off as a diamond?

Another thing is that top end brands such as Rolex always have a significant sell on value, even when they're years old.

Buy the real deal, just get something you can afford and is worth the money to you.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do like those Omega Speedmaster "moon" watches though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here