Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renault INTEND to pull out of F1

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this thing about car vs driver... Button didnt suddenly become the best driver in the world in Febuary, likewise Hamilton hasnt suddenly forgotton how to drive. Proof that the car is so very very important. But you need car and driver to get the winning package (and a dose of luck and clever team strategy), could be argued that Button has had the car developed for him just as Hamilton did last year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But, Icy Gull, is there an example of the flip-side of what I said? A good driver in a crap car?

You've changed it from average to crap :lol:

See about two posts above your last post for my take on it.

Even God would struggle in a crap car, come on :glare:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Nah, Jacques Villeneuve won it in 1997.

Tbh I don't think Räikkönen is anything special, so I'd argue him.

kimi would be brilliant if he actually gave a toss and took it as seriously as everyone else on the grid

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
each to their own but there is now SUCH a gulf between one team and everyone else that it is frankly non-competitive and even more predictable than the english and scottish premier leagues when it comes to winning. Of course that changes from time to time (season to season) when one team spends more on another bit of super technology to outperform others to the degree that the drivers' skill cannot possibly bridge the gap no matter how good they are...a bit like chelski buying success but at least with them it was the quality of the players that made the difference.

It's why I enjoy League 1 and would rather watch karting :lolol:

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
kimi would be brilliant if he actually gave a toss and took it as seriously as everyone else on the grid

Kimi is a brilliant driver on his day he's just lost that bit of mental toughness and seems to lack concentration but when he won the Championship he was superb you kid yourself into thinking he wasnt a good driver but we all know he is:annoyed:

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
each to their own but there is now SUCH a gulf between one team and everyone else that it is frankly non-competitive and even more predictable than the english and scottish premier leagues when it comes to winning. Of course that changes from time to time (season to season) when one team spends more on another bit of super technology to outperform others to the degree that the drivers' skill cannot possibly bridge the gap no matter how good they are...a bit like chelski buying success but at least with them it was the quality of the players that made the difference.

It's why I enjoy League 1 and would rather watch karting :lolol:

I tell you what mate we have an easy solution here if you dont like F1 then please, please dont watch it it makes sense doesnt it?:bigwave:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
each to their own but there is now SUCH a gulf between one team and everyone else that it is frankly non-competitive :

Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that there is a big gap between Brawn ( the independent team) and everyone else? :wozza: If so can I ask if you have actually WATCHED one second of a Grand Prix this year?? ;)

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
The only way we'd truley know the greatest driver in F1 is if they all lined up on the grid in identically constructed cars (which is what the FIA is clumsily trying to move towards with this £40m cap).

It's called A1 GP and I find it duller than F1. Not that there isn't good close racing - there can be - but I like the ins and outs of the technical acheivements of F1, as engineers and designers push the creative boundaries to make their cars faster. That's as much the 'sport' of F1 as the driving, and if you're technically minded like me, it's equally fascinating.

This element of the sport is actually why the British are so good at this and why so many of the 'foreign' teams (like Renault) are actually based in Britain. Not only that, F1 being a technological race is actually important to the economy - BBC NEWS | Business | UK F1: 'Losing innovation race' - and attempts to make the rules so tight there's no variation on car designs is destroying innovation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's called A1 GP and I find it duller than F1. Not that there isn't good close racing - there can be - but I like the ins and outs of the technical acheivements of F1, as engineers and designers push the creative boundaries to make their cars faster. That's as much the 'sport' of F1 as the driving, and if you're technically minded like me, it's equally fascinating.

This element of the sport is actually why the British are so good at this and why so many of the 'foreign' teams (like Renault) are actually based in Britain. Not only that, F1 being a technological race is actually important to the economy - BBC NEWS | Business | UK F1: 'Losing innovation race' - and attempts to make the rules so tight there's no variation on car designs is destroying innovation.

I have heard of this A1 of which you speak. It just doesn't really appeal though.
To be honest, I am spouting off from a position of ignorance (as usual). I'm not really a huge F1 fan. I sit just there hoping to see crashes and controversy - I am utterly incapable of appreciating a brilliant drive by a guy who leads from start to finish. If that is happening, I'm more likely to keep flicking over to Murder She Wrote or something.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I agree with this - part of me wants the FIA to remove EVERY single restriction on cars, budgets and so on just to see what the designers come up with. They'd be so hellishly quick it'd probably be very dangerous though.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So, first we had the new fangled Bernie scoring system that was quickly binned, and now the budget cap will surely go the same way.

Is it about time that the FIA adopted the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" approach to their sport? Clearly, the teams hold the power really, so why try to bring things in without their agreement first?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here