Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renault INTEND to pull out of F1

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The fact that this is true in a season in which one driver has won 80% of the races, truly is a damning indictment of the 'sport'.

edit to add: in response to your questions about Alonso/Piquet and Hamilton/Kovalainen, I was having this discussion with my dad at the weekend. The difference is that while an average driver, in a good car, can win the world championship, a good driver, in an average car, cannot. THAT is an indication of the extent to which the machinery, rather than the drivers, dominate the sport.

I think it was Coulthard a couple of weeks ago that came out and said winning was now 80% car, 20% driver skill.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Won't be the case by seasons end, that is what is making it so enthralling. One team hit the ground running with a big advantage that is being whittled away whilst the big boys are at the back of the field. If Wolves end up being top of the table after 6 games next season and Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and United struggle at the bottom, wouldn't you LOVE it? You'd know it wouldn't last but don't tell me you wouldn't find it more interesting?

Exactly for the first time for many years I look forward to watching the qualifying and race, maybe it because its come home to proper tv, maybe its because Button is doing well, but I'm sure it becasuse it just feels better.

I can see a cap of spending can only be good for the sport, bring it into football please

Won't be the case by seasons end, that is what is making it so enthralling. One team hit the ground running with a big advantage that is being whittled away whilst the big boys are at the back of the field. If Wolves end up being top of the table after 6 games next season and Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and United struggle at the bottom, wouldn't you LOVE it? You'd know it wouldn't last but don't tell me you wouldn't find it more interesting?

I couldn't care less; but then the Premiership was probably a bad example... I know what you are getting at.

I can't raise any excitement about the F1 season. The entire sport is far too contrived, and is dominated by the technology; witness the fuss being kicked up by all of the big teams regarding this salary cap. God forbid they should have to compete on a level playing field with the other smaller teams!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
stupid french twats, couldnt win any wars and now cant win races so have gone crying off home to burn a few sheep.

That better

much better - thanks :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Alonso/Piquet
Hamilton/Kovalainen

Same cars...massive gulf in performances..verdict? The above is bollocks, it's like saying the football boots make the difference between footballers

Wasn't saying I subscribed to that particular theory, but it IS a factor. One driver is bound to be naturally better than the other in any given team - that doesn't necessarily mean he is the best on the grid though.

The only way we'd truley know the greatest driver in F1 is if they all lined up on the grid in identically constructed cars (which is what the FIA is clumsily trying to move towards with this £40m cap).

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't saying I subscribed to that particular theory, but it IS a factor. One driver is bound to be naturally better than the other in any given team - that doesn't necessarily mean he is the best on the grid though.

The only way we'd truley know the greatest driver in F1 is if they all lined up on the grid in identically constructed cars (which is what the FIA is clumsily trying to move towards with this £40m cap).

A1 racing does that, it's a bit shit though. The secret is getting the best drivers into the best teams, there is no way the whole grid is going to be competing at the front end and if the cars are all equal the drivers are good enough to stop others overtaking them if the machinery is the same. Anyone who can't see how good F1 is this seson is not really into F1 imo. In much the same way as I'm sure there are some blinding players and tacticians in Curling, I could quite easily pick holes in it as I think it's shit whateve happens. same goes for swimming and (ducks) cricket imo

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Damon Hill ?

I'll give you that one, although I'd say he was better than average as he did quite well in an Arrows and took them to the front of a race for the 1st time in their history. Any others? I don't think so

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't really follow F1. To me it's a bunch of cars going round and round for an hour or so, and I don't see the appeal. The controversy pulled me into this thread, I was hoping for some sort of explanation.

I posted the link to the post which to one degree or another answered the idea put forward. I wasn't trying to argue one way or the other, I just think it takes more than putting forward an example and not even waiting 3 minutes before proclaiming someone has been 'owned' (a phrse that thoroughly annoys me, only slightly less than "pwned").

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The difference is that while an average driver, in a good car, can win the world championship, a good driver, in an average car, cannot. THAT is an indication of the extent to which the machinery, rather than the drivers, dominate the sport.

my point

.......................but much better made :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. The difference is that while an average driver, in a good car, can win the world championship, a good driver, in an average car, cannot. THAT is an indication of the extent to which the machinery, rather than the drivers, dominate the sport.

Schumacher in a Benetton
Alonso in a Renault

Both were average in comparison to McClaren, Ferrari ( with Schumacher at the wheel when Alonso won) and Williams, at the time

Both won the World Championship and their co-drivers were nowhere so I don't believe you are right in your assumption. Yes it makes it more difficult but it can and has happened.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
I Still dont understand your points?
Even if the car does matter more than the driver why is this a bad thing, all this does is shows us which team creates the best car for the driver which i dont see as a bad thing and at the end of the day the driver has to keep the thing on the road and win the races.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tbh I don't think Räikkönen is anything special, so I'd argue him.

Not any more, he seems to have lost his appetite but he was certainly not average at his peak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here