Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF bet - Barnes

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I find it odd, that just one season after having the worst penalty record of all time, people want us to change penalty takers when we've finally settled on a good one.
You cant take pens for the Albion when you are on the bench or playing at another club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You cant take pens for the Albion when you are on the bench or playing at another club.

He won't be at another club, and I still think he will occupy one of the 'winger' positions.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He didn't last season but he may well be more of an outlet than a workhorse this year?

Fair comment, but

1: He started the season up front, before Gus went 4-5-1, and so picked up some goals whilst we were 4-4-2.
2: With 7 subs, I suspect he won't have as many minutes on the park this season as last.
3: If we do sign a striker, then I would expect more goals to be scored by the CMS + 1 other axis, and therefore less by AB.

Don't get me wrong, I find the Barnes hating on here abhorrent, it goes far beyond reasoned debate and has descended into a witch hunt of appalling proportions from people who have serious issues, but I still think 17 goals unlikely.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I do find it rather sad, sitting amongst grown men in their 40s and 50s, in the WSU, actively jeering and booing Barnes, a 21/22 year old lad playing in the Championship. What hope does JFC and co have?
Its because we have enough footballing knowledge to see when we are carrying someone. He survived last season on the crest of that euphoric enthusiasm of 1st season at Amex, reputation from the previous season and the fact that we didnt buy anybody else good enough. We can see he isnt good enough, scoring 8 league goals from 36 league appearances ( pens deducted) isnt good, but more telling was the number of times he failed to control, the number of times he had a moody outburst, the number of times he missed good chances........ he will be bench at best to start the season, and he will moan and be shifted out on loan by January...... sorry but that is the real story, not the views driven by some misplaced loyalty or consideration for his age.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its because we have enough footballing knowledge to see when we are carrying someone. He survived last season on the crest of that euphoric enthusiasm of 1st season at Amex, reputation from the previous season and the fact that we didnt buy anybody else good enough. We can see he isnt good enough, scoring 8 league goals from 36 league appearances ( pens deducted) isnt good, but more telling was the number of times he failed to control, the number of times he had a moody outburst, the number of times he missed good chances........ he will be bench at best to start the season, and he will moan and be shifted out on loan by January...... sorry but that is the real story, not the views driven by some misplaced loyalty or consideration for his age.

:moo:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But why settle for a GOOD penalty taker? I think Vicente would be beteer, just my opinion.

Oh I'm not disagreeing about Vicente, but he hasn't taken a penalty for us and as such is still a bit of an unknown quantity on the penalty stakes. I also have an odd mistrust of left footed penalty takers!

I would suspect that as much as I would love Barnes to be starting every week, he probably won't so we're likely to see Vicente step up in those cases.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

You talking about CMS?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Its because we have enough footballing knowledge to see when we are carrying someone.

Remind me again of your footballing qualifications that make you a better judge that Gus Poyet?

Are you are a former international? Have you played at the top level in Spain and England? Do you have a UEFA licence? Or are you just a fat, bitter middle aged wanker who likes to have something to moan about because your life is so f***ing bad that you have ended up living with a bunch of six fingered inbreds in Somerset, and thinks you could have made something with your life, but it was always someone else's fault that you didn't, so the only pleasure you get is taking it out with vitriol against a jobbing footballer?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Remind me again of your footballing qualifications that make you a better judge that Gus Poyet?

Are you are a former international? Have you played at the top level in Spain and England? Do you have a UEFA licence? Or are you just a fat, bitter middle aged wanker who likes to have something to moan about because your life is so f***ing bad that you have ended up living with a bunch of six fingered inbreds in Somerset, and thinks you could have made something with your life, but it was always someone else's fault that you didn't, so the only pleasure you get is taking it out with vitriol against a jobbing footballer?
No reply needed except...... KOOONT .......... Oh how I would love to have a little personal meeting EP,... in all these exchanges I resist the need to personally attack a poster..... there are lines to be drawn, you just stepped over mine

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No reply needed except...... KOOONT .......... Oh how I would love to have a little personal meeting EP,... in all these exchanges I resist the need to personally attack a poster..... there are lines to be drawn, you just stepped over mine

Oh no, it's a veiled hardman threat, what a surprise.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Oh no, it's a veiled hardman threat, what a surprise.
No veiled element to it at all.....if you recall my little friend, you turned this debate in a completely different direction all on your own, all my exchanges were giving an honest supporters view of one of our players. Just because it differed from yours you restorted to abuse.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ducked the issue then I see.
My answer, as I if I need to say it, is that I have as much or as many qualifications as most on NSC, and that my view is just that, my view,.... it seems to be a common view, and one I dont feel inclined to change.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

One of the most stupid posts I have ever seen on NSC despite some quite exceptional competition

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My answer, as I if I need to say it, is that I have as much or as many qualifications as most on NSC, and that my view is just that, my view,.... it seems to be a common view, and one I dont feel inclined to change.

Criticise yes, (and if you note I also think he won't score the goals suggested by the OP, so we are probably in agreement), but there's a difference between that and your schadenfreude.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Criticise yes, (and if you note I also think he won't score the goals suggested by the OP, so we are probably in agreement), but there's a difference between that and your schadenfreude.
No, I get enjoyment from seeing the Albion do well,... hence the 300 mile round trip to all the games.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My own personal jury is out on Barnes, but I'll add a few things...

1. In the 93rd minute, with the Albion needing a goal there's no one else currently on our books I'd rather the ball drop to in the box. To me, he has been proven to have a clinical finish, even under pressure. That he is Poyet's preferred penalty taker should tell you all you need to know on that score.

2. Every team seems to have a 'marmite' player. He is clearly ours right now.

3. It is rare for those who take delight in belittling a player repeatedly to ever compliment that player nomatter what good he does. At such times they'll remain quiet and await a future opportunity for them to remind everyone how shit that player is. This blinkered vision seems to be a typical trait of the anti-Barnes brigade so they can, as far as I'm concerned, just f*** right off.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
all my exchanges were giving an honest supporters view of one of our players.

Yes, you are honestly deliberately ignoring one of his strengths, i.e. penalty taking (a skill he has been consistent with over two seasons where other players, "better" players have not shown such skill - murray, bennett, dicker, harley have all lacked the consistency barnes shows with their penalties) in an effort to make him look worse than he is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here