Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember this Barnes haters?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I am baffled how anyone can defend his performance yesterday and the desperate attempts that 'he was somehow doing something only a select few uber analysts can see' is quite frankly ridiculous. If you asked Ashley this morning he would probably put his hand up and say he had an absolute nightmare of a game.

Lets take the penalty chance, the free header, the air kick and the sliced shot away and it still leaves us with some very wayward passes and generally very poor buildup play. It was a shocking performance which is why it stuck out with the vast majority of our fan base yesterday.

Also those desperately clutching at the 'when he went off we looked worse argument' that was merely because gus put on a central midfielder who then proceeded to join bridcutt and Hammond on the toes of our central defenders leaving Bolton free to drive forward in the middle of the park.

Calls for Barnes to be sold, sacked or dropped for the season are as ridiculous as those people desperately trying to defend a woeful display yesterday but the reality is Barnes form of late is contributing to dropped points and in a competitive squad poor form should result in a spell on the sidelines

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They seem to know their stuff. Greer is the other glaring weak link. As soon as him and Barnes are out of the side the better. But I fear we will have to wait until January for our new centre half. Big tough Jock Gordon, who cannot win a header to save his life. Can anyone remember the last time Greer won a 50/50 in the air. I can't.
Postioning is awful
Can't win a header.
Gets pushed off the ball is someone breathes on him.
Doesn't push the defence and plays to deep.
Other than that. Class player!!!

IMO we have a team of 9 players who can challenge at the top of the table, and Greer and Barnes who would struggle to get in most sides in this division (any in Barnes' case)

We are so close to mounting a challenge, yet so far

I bow to your tactical brilliance. You're right, Greer is shit. Don't know why I didn't realise it before...

Oh... Perhaps it's because, along with Leicester, we have the best defensive record in the entire division by a distance. I can't believe that Scottish twunk let in 16 goals all on his own. FFS Poyet, sell him now.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
the player is out of depth at the moment and needed taking away for a while, refresh and comeback better, if he plays Tuesday, i will be very pissed off.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is spot on. I don't really thinks it helps his confidence when so many wankers seem intent on giving him abuse for ninety minutes either.

What a load of bollocks. He got no abuse from the crowd whatsoever. I guess you weren't there. Totally agree with [MENTION=695]BUTTERBALL[/MENTION], the guy needs a break, he is currently a liability.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What a load of bollocks. He got no abuse from the crowd whatsoever. I guess you weren't there. Totally agree with [MENTION=695]BUTTERBALL[/MENTION], the guy needs a break, he is currently a liability.

You don't sit where I do then. There are 5 muppets behind me who have done nothing but moan about Barnes from the the first minute of the season - apart from when they take a break to complain about Greer or urge us to 'get it forward' any time we're building from the back.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Please do shut up, the guy is not good enough. Yes penalties get saved but the follow up beggars belief. The header, the air shot. Game after game we see him fail. Having been a st for 38 years I have to say he is the one player in all that time I just don't get.

Are you taking the piss? What don't you get about 20 goals in the League 1 Championship winning side and then being our top scorer last season? He is having a rough patch and I don't think Gus is doing him any favours by keeping him in the team when he is clearly low on confidence (not helped by some of the morons who call themselves fans abusing him every time he gets the ball). However, to say you don't get him suggests you think he was always rubbish, which despite the protests of a few is clearly not true.

Having said all this, sadly I do think he won't be good enough to be a regular in a promotion winning side, which is a shame as I think he is a really good player and, when on form, his importance to the team is massively under estimated.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Nonsense - Buckley played the ball almost behind Hoskins, he took a very good touch to knock it up for himself then hit a good strong shot which forced a very, very good save.

Spot on,I thought hoskins did superb to get it out his feet and hit it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

He does need a break but he was clearly getting abuse yesterday from the minute he missed the penalty. When your confidence is low, it doesn't exactly help the situation when your own fans abuse you. Sadly, we appear to have some "supporters" who aren't happy unless they can abuse at least one of our players.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
I felt for Barnes today. When a player is that shit on a football field you have to feel for the boy.
Is Dobbie any good at this football lark.

Id like to think this Dobbie is good at this football lark but unfourtunly we'll probably never find out as this class act Barnes seems to keep him on the bench so can't imagine seeing this Dobbie character anytime soon.

Last edited:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Are you taking the piss? What don't you get about 20 goals in the League 1 Championship winning side and then being our top scorer last season? He is having a rough patch and I don't think Gus is doing him any favours by keeping him in the team when he is clearly low on confidence (not helped by some of the morons who call themselves fans abusing him every time he gets the ball). However, to say you don't get him suggests you think he was always rubbish, which despite the protests of a few is clearly not true.

Having said all this, sadly I do think he won't be good enough to be a regular in a promotion winning side, which is a shame as I think he is a really good player and, when on form, his importance to the team is massively under estimated.

think you might be in a very small minority there.

Barnes was played as a striker in league 1 remember because that his position. He's not some fancy left side/defensive/attacking/covering option or whatever position it is he plays. Thats what people "just dont get"

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land

Spot on London Blue.
Just watch him for 5 minutes he is ineffective in marking, tackling or closing down so thats sorts out the crap about his defensive capability. As for attacking, he gets knocked off the ball easily, and lacks pace or change of pace to beat a man. So that leaves his work rate - well again just watch him amble around its a feckin joke. (only time he puts any effort in is when we kick to the North stand so he is in front of our dug out.)
Look none of us want to knock our own players but it is bleedin obvious he is not on form and out of his depth. I ask would he get in any other Championship team?
I've said before I just don't get what Gus is looking at!!!!

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Spot on London Blue.
Just watch him for 5 minutes he is ineffective in marking, tackling or closing down so thats sorts out the crap about his defensive capability. As for attacking, he gets knocked off the ball easily, and lacks pace or change of pace to beat a man. So that leaves his work rate - well again just watch him amble around its a feckin joke. (only time he puts any effort in is when we kick to the North stand so he is in front of our dug out.)
Look none of us want to knock our own players but it is bleedin obvious he is not on form and out of his depth. I ask would he get in any other Championship team?
I've said before I just don't get what Gus is looking at!!!!

I laughed at the bit where you said when he's playing against the north and dug out. To true. I said to my mate that Barnes just trys harder in front of Gus and all Gus can see is the number 9 so thinks Barnes is ace. Barnes is a division one player at best. We'll not make the play offs with Barnes in the side.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So you are claiming that if people blindly excuse Ashley's poor performances, they know more about football than those who don't?
Nobody has said it is ALL about his ineptness in front of goal. What about the countless times when our attacks break down because he has given the ball away cheaply again? Ok he is a battler but his speed of thought is lacking compared to others in the team.
And this 'defending' you keep banging on about, do you mean doing what any other professional footballer would do, if played in the same position?

I've just posted this on another thread but bears repeating. Barnes didn't start at Wolves and we shipped 3 goals. Barnes was the MoM at Selhurst Park last season for his defensive work. Find the thread and read the Player ratings.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
I laughed at the bit where you said when he's playing against the north and dug out. To true. I said to my mate that Barnes just trys harder in front of Gus and all Gus can see is the number 9 so thinks Barnes is ace. Barnes is a division one player at best. We'll not make the play offs with Barnes in the side.

Sadly Bigbelly he is dividing opinion, but I too think he is not good enough. Others on the bench must see this and be mightily pissed off!!!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I've just posted this on another thread but bears repeating. Barnes didn't start at Wolves and we shipped 3 goals. Barnes was the MoM at Selhurst Park last season for his defensive work. Find the thread and read the Player ratings.

I didnt play either v Wolves either, doesnt mean Gus should stick me in does it!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Sadly Bigbelly he is dividing opinion, but I too think he is not good enough. Others on the bench must see this and be mightily pissed off!!!

We have a 2.5 million pound striker who can't score more goals than Barnes in a season but Barnes isn't good enough? Right.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
We have a 2.5 million pound striker who can't score more goals than Barnes in a season but Barnes isn't good enough? Right.

Personally I wouldn't have him in a village team but it is about opinions and at the moment Gus believes in him hey ho!!!!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Where I was, Barnes was booed from before the whistle for the start, and throughout the game. Every touch was greeted with Frank Doberman-esque squawks of "Geddimoff Poyay!" and the only time the booing stopped was when he was clattered in the second half, when the tossers sitting behind me got very excited because a 23-year-old Brighton player might be so injured he would have to come off.

This was incessant, in the Family Stand, and it did my bloody head in. Why can't we drop some of our so-called supporters? Clueless wankers.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011

Pissed off [MENTION=24330]Gullzone[/MENTION] is an understatement. Dobbie must be pulling his hair out with frustration. Blackpool tried so hard to sign him as they know he's a quality player and helped them gain promotion but he opted for us because of Gus and what does Gus do, leave him to rot on the bench. Bet Dobbie is starting to regret coming here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here