Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remember this Barnes haters?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I felt for Barnes today. When a player is that shit on a football field you have to feel for the boy.
Is Dobbie any good at this football lark.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spot on. If any player covers more ground I'd be astonished and he offers a defensive element that none of the others match. Notice how Bolton got into the game more once he went off. Unlike the other strikers, most times when Barnes has a chance he's started his run on the edge of our own box. There really are some dicks at the games these days. I'm sure he'd love to play as an out and out striker but he's clearly asked to do a job by Gus which he does diligently every game.

You clearly have a footballing brain. All the myopic posters who don't see his defensive work and chose to focus on his problems with scoring will choose to ignore this aspect or never saw it in the first place. As you rightly pointed out, Bolton got more into the game when he'd gone off. Dobbie cannot track back, although to be fair I don't know if Hoskins can. I would have taken CMS off and put either Dobbie or Hoskins on and earlier. Why Barnes has to be the focus for the scapegoaters is beyond me. Orlandi missed a sitter yet again but I can't see anyone slating him this evening.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You clearly have a footballing brain. All the myopic posters who don't see his defensive work and chose to focus on his problems with scoring will choose to ignore this aspect or never saw it in the first place. As you rightly pointed out, Bolton got more into the game when he'd gone off. Dobbie cannot track back, although to be fair I don't know if Hoskins can. I would have taken CMS off and put either Dobbie or Hoskins on and earlier. Why Barnes has to be the focus for the scapegoaters is beyond me. Orlandi missed a sitter yet again but I can't see anyone slating him this evening.

He's not my favourite player by any stretch of the imagination but you can't have 11 Will Buckleys in one team. Barnes is still young, has a decent goal ratio considering where he's played and works his nuts off every time... I'd like to see more of Dobbie and Hoskins too like a lot of people, but it's all about the balance of the team. There are guys around me who started moaning about him within 5 minutes of the season starting and who pick up on every negative, while ignoring mistakes from other players. Apart from Greer who they have also decided is shit, in their wisdom.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
He's not my favourite player by any stretch of the imagination but you can't have 11 Will Buckleys in one team. Barnes is still young, has a decent goal ratio considering where he's played and works his nuts off every time... I'd like to see more of Dobbie and Hoskins too like a lot of people, but it's all about the balance of the team. There are guys around me who started moaning about him within 5 minutes of the season starting and who pick up on every negative, while ignoring mistakes from other players. Apart from Greer who they have also decided is shit, in their wisdom.

I don't think it is a coincidence that the game we conceded the most goals in (Wolves) - he didnt start...

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I like Barnes and he did work hard again today but he and CMS were awful in front of goal today. It wasn't just poor finishing, it was air-kicks and total miscues by both.

Hoskins might just get his chance.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I like Barnes and he did work hard again today but he and CMS were awful in front of goal today. It wasn't just poor finishing, it was air-kicks and total miscues by both.

Hoskins might just get his chance.

Hoskins had a gilt edge chance to put it away, but no, he took a touch, and f***ed it up. One feels that the strikers are not getting the training they need to make them ruthless enough.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
There are guys around me who started moaning about him within 5 minutes of the season starting and who pick up on every negative, while ignoring mistakes from other players. Apart from Greer who they have also decided is shit, in their wisdom.
They seem to know their stuff. Greer is the other glaring weak link. As soon as him and Barnes are out of the side the better. But I fear we will have to wait until January for our new centre half. Big tough Jock Gordon, who cannot win a header to save his life. Can anyone remember the last time Greer won a 50/50 in the air. I can't.
Postioning is awful
Can't win a header.
Gets pushed off the ball is someone breathes on him.
Doesn't push the defence and plays to deep.
Other than that. Class player!!!

IMO we have a team of 9 players who can challenge at the top of the table, and Greer and Barnes who would struggle to get in most sides in this division (any in Barnes' case)

We are so close to mounting a challenge, yet so far

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Remember this? He has a couple of penalties saved and you think he should be dropped. He worked hard today and it may not have been the best penalty in the world, but everyone has off days. He was our top goal scorer last season and he definitely doesn't need to be dropped.

He is a useless dickhead...... bin him please.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Barnes fan here.:)

All players have poor patches and bad games, having a big squad does provide the option of dumping him on the bench for a while till hes over it or a replacement proves better. The way barnes is being crucified on here by alleged brighton fans is a f***ing disgrace imo.

I have never been a Barnes hater but today his confidence looked absolutely shot after the penalty miss. He has often been hot headed in the past in a disciplinary sense but, today, he just seemed hot headed in every sense. The more he tried to make up for his mistake the worse his performance got - wild shooting, air shots and passing out of play. No doubt about his work rate and commitment but the quality is sadly lacking at present.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
You clearly have a footballing brain. All the myopic posters who don't see his defensive work and chose to focus on his problems with scoring will choose to ignore this aspect or never saw it in the first place.

This argument is all well and good, and I agree with it mostly.

Sadly you just cannot look past the fact that having good defensive work as a forward is not really good enough if you are woeful in front of goal, which Barnes was yesterday and has been quite often this season.

Linking play and tracking back is something Barnes is good at, but our problem is scoring goals at the mo, so we have gotta change it up a bit.

Barnes is off form, has no confidence and it seems cannot take penalties any more, or even connect with the ball sometimes (an airshot for a professional footballer is shockingly bad) so time for him to have a breather, change tactics if necessary to accommodate him not playing, and give somebody else a go up front.

Will Gus actually do this. No. So the Barnes lovers will see their golden boy on Tuesday night I'm sure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This argument is all well and good, and I agree with it mostly.

Sadly you just cannot look past the fact that having good defensive work as a forward is not really good enough if you are woeful in front of goal, which Barnes was yesterday and has been quite often this season.

Linking play and tracking back is something Barnes is good at, but our problem is scoring goals at the mo, so we have gotta change it up a bit.

Barnes is off form, has no confidence and it seems cannot take penalties any more, or even connect with the ball sometimes (an airshot for a professional footballer is shockingly bad) so time for him to have a breather, change tactics if necessary to accommodate him not playing, and give somebody else a go up front.

Will Gus actually do this. No. So the Barnes lovers will see their golden boy on Tuesday night I'm sure.

I agree that we need to score goals but clean sheets would be good too. As soon as Barnes went off, our defence started sitting deeper and almost inviting Bolton to come onto us which they did. All the Barnes critics should remember that he isn't playing as a striker but that doesn't suit their arguments.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don't understand people that say 'but he shouldn't be judged on scoring goals'

If that's the case he shouldn't be taking penalties and we might as well play him at left back.

He is an attacking player whether he plays as an orthodox striker or as a withdrawn left sided player. He isn't shit like some people want to make out but we have better players than him sitting on the bench. Don't want him sold or never seen again but I do think he needs a period out of the side.

Sadly I'm sure what will happen is he will be dropped Tuesday and Dobbie will play ok but Barnes will be back in the side on Saturday and have another run. He needs to WIN his place back not have it presented back to him, when he was dropped for a period a couple of seasons ago he came back positively in the run in and scored some important goals and I hope he can have that response again. But with the chances missed yesterday and against Huddersfield the week before he needs to make way for a bit.

Nov 19, 2012

Remember this? He has a couple of penalties saved and you think he should be dropped. He worked hard today and it may not have been the best penalty in the world, but everyone has off days. He was our top goal scorer last season and he definitely doesn't need to be dropped.

Nobody hates Barnes,Most can see that he is not good enough and lacks the skill to take this team forward, can someone wake Gus up

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Barnes fan here.:)

All players have poor patches and bad games, having a big squad does provide the option of dumping him on the bench for a while till hes over it or a replacement proves better. The way barnes is being crucified on here by alleged brighton fans is a f***ing disgrace imo.

I will tell you what a disgrace is... leaving a player like Dobbie languishing on the bench.... shame on Gus.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

So you are claiming that if people blindly excuse Ashley's poor performances, they know more about football than those who don't?
Nobody has said it is ALL about his ineptness in front of goal. What about the countless times when our attacks break down because he has given the ball away cheaply again? Ok he is a battler but his speed of thought is lacking compared to others in the team.
And this 'defending' you keep banging on about, do you mean doing what any other professional footballer would do, if played in the same position?
To be honest TB, I sometimes think you would defend Jimmy Savile if he put on the stripes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hoskins had a gilt edge chance to put it away, but no, he took a touch, and f***ed it up. One feels that the strikers are not getting the training they need to make them ruthless enough.

Nonsense - Buckley played the ball almost behind Hoskins, he took a very good touch to knock it up for himself then hit a good strong shot which forced a very, very good save.

Nov 19, 2012
Nonsense - Buckley played the ball almost behind Hoskins, he took a very good touch to knock it up for himself then hit a good strong shot which forced a very, very good save.

Yep Hoskins was unlucky,i think Gus has lost the plot what was the point of bringing Will on with 2 minutes to go, he should have come on at half time Barnes and CMS were both shit in the 1st half again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here