Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Relegation odds

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Saw that so called super computer in some article yesterday predicting next seasons final table. Had us finishing 16th! Who makes these things up I don't know?🤣
You’ve highlighted a major issue with the application of algorithms full stop. Lots of mathematical modelling, such as the type used here, is exclusively based on static data. I.e using historical data to reach a probable conclusion. “What would likely happen if everything stayed exactly the same”.

But it won’t stay exactly the same. The data is flawed (GIGO) because football like business - probably moreso - is extremely dynamic.

Transfers, managerial changes, injuries, form, refereeing decisions change the original data on a daily, hourly basis making any such calculation outdated immediately.

Plus, you know, it’s football. There are massive outliers every single season because of all the above.

So yeah, we might finish 20th or we might finish 1st - both are very unlikely. This is why these pre-season calculations are generally woefully inaccurate every single season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Saw that so called super computer in some article yesterday predicting next seasons final table. Had us finishing 16th! Who makes these things up I don't know?🤣
At the start of last season one had us finishing 4th and one had us finishing 7th.

I guess no-one told the algorithm that RDZ would give up halfway through the season.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Star Lizard is still Boom’s, isn’t it??
Nah, we're abandoning all that data shit and will make our future signings based on whether or not they wear gloves in the winter.

Cheaper for us: if they wear gloves they are weaklings and we don't want them, and if they don't wear gloves they're idiots and we don't want those either.

(jokes aside, I can't find anything about Tony Bloom selling Starlizard and I don't think he would)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
9th and 200/1 for the title. Palace 10th and 250/1 however that works.

Only 12/1 to be relegated with SkyBet.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
9th and 200/1 for the title. Palace 10th and 250/1 however that works.

Only 12/1 to be relegated with SkyBet.
Cynically I'm surprised we aren't lower given how we ended last season and the unknown of Hurzeler.

As it stands that's probably pretty accurate.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Cynically I'm surprised we aren't lower given how we ended last season and the unknown of Hurzeler.

As it stands that's probably pretty accurate.
I'd go with this, we're an unknown quantity as far as bookies are concerned.

I mean, i'm confident, but manager's and signings don't always work out

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Can't see us going down but days of top half finishes and Europe will be a distant memory this time next year!
You,ve been on those happy pills again haven't you....!

Put them away...!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here