Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Relegation odds

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Last ten games of the season Palace were 4th in the form table.
4th. For over a quarter of the season.
We were 17th.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Sorry, but I don't think you're telling anyone anything new. The model (that's worked) is exceptionally talented young players, mentored by very experienced pros because that's what we can afford and still be competitive. It'd be great, for instance, to go and sign Morgan Gibbs-White but he'd be £70-80m. Mid-20s players from the Championship might be an option, but as an emerging talent like Pedro cost us £30m, that's awkward too. We've got players this season like Enciso, Baleba, Adingra, Hinshelwood and Buonaotte and a hopefully revitalised Ferguson (if we get a manager with a style to suit him) who've been building up experience they'd never get at 'bigger' clubs and can put in performances beyond their years.
Over the course of the Prem years we’ve signed Gross, Veltman, Propper, Trossard, Ali J, Welbeck, Webster, Maupay, Pervis, Cucarella, Mwepu and possibly others I’ve missed who were all in their mid-late twenties. As well as Dunk and Solly who were already with us.

We don’t purely deal in youngsters and old heads. The squad needs players hitting their prime for a variety of reasons and we are at a stage where we need a couple. Especially in midfield.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Over the course of the Prem years we’ve signed Gross, Veltman, Propper, Trossard, Ali J, Welbeck, Webster, Maupay, Pervis, Cucarella, Mwepu and possibly others I’ve missed who were all in their mid-late twenties. As well as Dunk and Solly who were already with us.

We don’t purely deal in youngsters and old heads. The squad needs players hitting their prime for a variety of reasons and we are at a stage when we need a couple. Especially in midfield.
We weren’t looking for players to improve a European/top half squad when we signed those players. The standard required now to better what we’ve got is higher and consequently a lot more expensive, not helped by Chelsea chucking money about over the past 2 years. If you can name a few established Premier League/Europa League standard players in the golden age range that are a) better than what we’ve got b) not paid substantially more c) less than £40m each and d) not already at their peak value then I’m sure the club will love to pile in.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I do not bet but surely considering losing manager and form since Christmas present odds of 20-1 is generous.
Perhaps this thread should be merged with the Kieran McKenna thread.

Apparently we can’t get anyone else to come to Brighton except Potter and well
No players or managers want to come to us, we are really on a downward spiral atm and palace are the opposite,how things change.They have people that want to stay at their club and I reckon they will keep a few of their top players just to add salt in the wound.
Relegation and no manager for 2024/25 it is then.

:shootself

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Palace half the odds we are? Surprising given they are currently pretty sorted and we are in disarray.

And you can guarantee their few good players won't leave?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
And you can guarantee their few good players won't leave?
Nope but Parish will make it f***ing difficult for them to do so. Zaha wanted out for a few seasons and it didn’t happen. We seem to let any player who wants out to do so, if the price is right

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nope but Parish will make it f***ing difficult for them to do so. Zaha wanted out for a few seasons and it didn’t happen

I think Olise has a release clause.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
We weren’t looking for players to improve a European/top half squad when we signed those players. The standard required now to better what we’ve got is higher and consequently a lot more expensive, not helped by Chelsea chucking money about over the past 2 years. If you can name a few established Premier League/Europa League standard players in the golden age range that are a) better than what we’ve got b) not paid substantially more c) less than £40m each and d) not already at their peak value then I’m sure the club will love to pile in.
If I did, I’d be sending my CV to the club!

Unfortunately, if we don’t get a couple of talented players in that golden age range, I think it’s unlikely we’ll be competing in the top half next season, let alone pushing for Europe.

The club hierarchy probably know this and may decide to accept it, and hope to try and break back in the season after when Baleba, Enciso, Buononatte, Hinshelwood, Adingra, Ferguson, Barco, Gilmour, etc have another year of progression in them (and hopefully haven’t been sold!).

Most sensible fans will accept it too. The trouble is, we’ve had a taste of the top half and European football. PB/TB have also gone public about this being the club’s ambition. Some fans - and in particular younger fans who have only experienced lots of relative success - will argue that a Summer without recruiting some players with top pedigree, will show a lack of ambition or commitment to maintaining that top half/European push. It could be argued that we didn’t try to kick on from a position of strength.

A lot of ifs and buts at the moment, and we may well end up spending big this summer! But for now I will stick to my opinion that if we don’t get a couple of players in that golden age range, I’ll be lowering my expectations to a 12th-15th finish next season.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I do not bet but surely onsidering losing manager and form since Christmas present odds of 20-1 is generous.
If anyone can do it, we can :thumbsup:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If I did, I’d be sending my CV to the club!

Unfortunately, if we don’t get a couple of talented players in that golden age range, I think it’s unlikely we’ll be competing in the top half next season, let alone pushing for Europe.

The club hierarchy probably know this and may decide to accept it, and hope to try and break back in the season after when Baleba, Enciso, Buononatte, Hinshelwood, Adingra, Ferguson, Barco, Gilmour, etc have another year of progression in them (and hopefully haven’t been sold!).

Most sensible fans will accept it too. The trouble is, we’ve had a taste of the top half and European football. PB/TB have also gone public about this being the club’s ambition. Some fans - and in particular younger fans who have only experienced lots of relative success - will argue that a Summer without recruiting some players with top pedigree, will show a lack of ambition or commitment to maintaining that top half/European push. It could be argued that we didn’t try to kick on from a position of strength.

A lot of ifs and buts at the moment, and we may well end up spending big this summer! But for now I will stick to my opinion that if we don’t get a couple of players in that golden age range, I’ll be lowering my expectations to a 12th-15th finish next season.
I'm pretty confident Bloom will spend what's required to keep the club in contention for top 10. We shouldn't be far off with the squad we've got, bearing in mind we've had half a team all season and only missed that target by a point. I think everyone agrees that ideally we could do with some mid-20s players too - let's hope they can find some at a sensible price.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I do not bet but surely onsidering losing manager and form since Christmas present odds of 20-1 is generous.
20-1, really? Yes, generous indeed. There seems to be a lot of hope for the summer, but our form at the end of last season should not be forgotten. I thought I was watching a side that could be relegated at that point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here