Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relaxing Dress Code

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Having a dress code for sections of the ground is fine - if you don't like the dress code in that section don't go in there. !901 was always supposed to have a dress code so the club could have an area that was deemed better and could allow opposition supporters to dine.
If you are taking guests or having a celebration event you don't want to be sitting or standing next to some people who are likely to spill their beer or hot dog down you because they don't care what they look like.

Horses for courses innit!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm really struggling to get my head around the issue here. You have to wear shoes and no replica shirts; big deal. You can show you allegiance with a club scarf, or some other means, if you want; I do on occasion.

I do agree that asking a girl to remove her shoes was a bit daft. This could have been resolved in a more sensible manner.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Having a dress code for sections of the ground is fine - if you don't like the dress code in that section don't go in there. !901 was always supposed to have a dress code so the club could have an area that was deemed better and could allow opposition supporters to dine.
If you are taking guests or having a celebration event you don't want to be sitting or standing next to some people who are likely to spill their beer or hot dog down you because they don't care what they look like.

Oh yes of course, put a pair of nice white trainers on and you're bound to cause trouble, get rowdy and pissed. Put shoes on that same person and they transform into a decent gent. I mean come on mate. That sort of attitude is so outdated. Last post on this from me because I can't be arsed with it anymore. If that's the way most of you want it, fine. But it's not for me, on principle of being told I can't wear this or that for a football match, I'll never go in 1901. It's a footy match not a wedding.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I really don't think jeans should be acceptable in the 1901, in fact I think Morning dress should be compulsary like The Derby or Royal Ascot.
There were certainly some shocking sights in the grandstand at Doncaster yesterday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They tried to refuse me entry for the Doncaster game because I was wearing lightweight Timberland walking shoes with rubber soles. The guy told me they were trainers. As I'd waited 14 years for that day, I didn't take it too well. When the steam started to come out of my ears, they sensibly relented. The rest of the season I wore a pair of boots which were battered and much scruffier but satisfied the ridiculous dress code.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Oh yes of course, put a pair of nice white trainers on and you're bound to cause trouble, get rowdy and pissed. Put shoes on that same person and they transform into a decent gent. I mean come on mate. That sort of attitude is so outdated. Last post on this from me because I can't be arsed with it anymore. If that's the way most of you want it, fine. But it's not for me, on principle of being told I can't wear this or that for a football match, I'll never go in 1901. It's a footy match not a wedding.

Its got nothing to do with the cut of your clothes - its to do with economics.
if you don't have a dress code and some one turns up in full opposition kit having booked a table for 16 over the phone do you refuse them entry because they are opposition fans or because they are wearing replica shirts?

Having a dress code allows the club to control everyone that goes in 1901 so that opposition fans can go as guests of their friends and clients without causing a ruck unless they go over the top in support of their (opposition) 1901 was created to try to allow some fans to mix civilly. You can't have people in replica opposition kit in areas populated in open general areas inside the ground can you.

Its got nothing to do with anyones individual clothes its about getting people to agree to a standard of dress that can be regulated.Its true some stewards go over the top but the club are trying to make 1901 different from the other parts of the ground

And actually on the whole people DO act differently when made to wear different clothes and uniform. Thats why doctors wear white coats and the SS wore nice uniforms. Its been proven that people act differently both IN and TO uniforms and suits.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

ironically doesnt sound like appearance comes into it. seems that you could go in looking like a tramp, with 20 year old scuffed shoes, stained shirt and battered cords, but someone in £300 of designer clobber is barred because the doorman decides his footwear are trainers (a very broad and ambiguous term these days). now i've done that job so understand you have to follow the code strictly or get more grief (he's wearing trainers...), so it comes down to the dress code is drafted a bit daftly.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
ironically doesnt sound like appearance comes into it. seems that you could go in looking like a tramp, with 20 year old scuffed shoes, stained shirt and battered cords, but someone in £300 of designer clobber is barred because the doorman decides his footwear are trainers (a very broad and ambiguous term these days). now i've done that job so understand you have to follow the code strictly or get more grief (he's wearing trainers...), so it comes down to the dress code is drafted a bit daftly.

You are absolutely right in this, its because many people bought 1901 to get a guaranteed season ticket not to use the 1901 facilities and dining. Gradually I think these fans will migrate to other areas of the ground but thats going to take 5 years now unless they can swap or transfer?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are absolutely right in this, its because many people bought 1901 to get a guaranteed season ticket not to use the 1901 facilities and dining. Gradually I think these fans will migrate to other areas of the ground but thats going to take 5 years now unless they can swap or transfer?

I simply do not believe this. Anyone who wanted a season ticket was pretty much guaranteed one due to the 20,000 plus capacity.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I simply do not believe this. Anyone who wanted a season ticket was pretty much guaranteed one due to the 20,000 plus capacity.

Not really HT most people wanted North or West - not that the East was ever going to be a poor cousin, just remember that before the ground opened a lot of people did not realise how good it was going to be.

I know a few people who only wanted the North stand and would not have bought elsewhere ( I think they have changed their minds now )

Some people were definitely worried they would miss out somehow

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not really HT most people wanted North or West - not that the East was ever going to be a poor cousin, just remember that before the ground opened a lot of people did not realise how good it was going to be.

I know a few people who only wanted the North stand and would not have bought elsewhere ( I think they have changed their minds now )

Some people were definitely worried they would miss out somehow

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying. But I still do not believe many people bought 1901 as a way of guaranteeing a ST. Anyone who had a history of ticket purchasing at Withdean or a friend with a history was pretty much guaranteed an AMEX season ticket. Sure, the North might have been oversubscribed but there were plenty of seats elsewhere.

Black Dalek

Jan 19, 2004
Yep, who the hell wants to be told what to wear. I don't, and I like my replica shirt. Loosen the rules please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here