Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relaxing Dress Code

D

Deleted User X18H

So after attending the Arsenal match today (free tickets) we had tickets in the club level, i was told to dress 'smart' and i went by the Amex dress code and dressed up, on entering the lounges practically everyone had an Arsenal shirt on and there was no dress code whatsoever, it made the whole atmosphere much more friendly and less corporate. I think this could be something that we could learn from, instead of the dress codes and prawn sandwiches in the 1901 club? Please correct me if i am wrong but i have only ever seen people dressed smart/suits there.

You can wear jeans in 1901 (if you want to) However you cannot wear replica shirts or trainers.

Going to the 1901 is alaways a fulfilling experience. And a brilliant way to watch the Albion.

Wearing a replica shirt with 'Calderon' on the back (unless you are Calde) isn't the environment they are trying to create.

You have to wear a tie at Malcolm's Bridge and Backgammon table.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The 1901 needs changing into 2 sections, the fans 1901 and then corporate 1901. Will be hard to do but they could. The problem is the club expected alot more corporate and business types than fans. When in fact it's the other way around. The dress code thing is idiotic.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The 1901 needs changing into 2 sections, the fans 1901 and then corporate 1901. Will be hard to do but they could. The problem is the club expected alot more corporate and business types than fans. When in fact it's the other way around. The dress code thing is idiotic.

From everything I have heard on this I really think that is the only option now and I suspect something the club will need to do.

Many fans bought 1901 as they were spooked into thinking they may not get a season ticket.

I don't wear colours but as soon as I saw the rules for 1901 this was bound to happen but it is all part of a learning process.

D

Deleted User X18H

From everything I have heard on this I really think that is the only option now and I suspect something the club will need to do.

Many fans bought 1901 as they were spooked into thinking they may not get a season ticket.

I don't wear colours but as soon as I saw the rules for 1901 this was bound to happen but it is all part of a learning process.

Spooked?

Ah yes I remember now, Ken Brown jumped out of the bushes in Snakey Lane at me in April 2010 and shouted ''you won't get season ticket - you won't get a season ticket'' And ran off making Red Indian noises

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The club cannot split the seating into two groups though, unless everyone is willing to move the PSL prohibits rearrangement of the seats. I'm not convinced the dress code is an issue either. A few people comment on here but no 1901ers I know ever talk about it.

D

Deleted User X18H

The club cannot split the seating into two groups though, unless everyone is willing to move the PSL prohibits rearrangement of the seats. I'm not convinced the dress code is an issue either. A few people comment on here but no 1901ers I know ever talk about it.

However a few turned up in replaica shirts and trainers last season. And got away with it.

Tighter restrictions now.

You would have known at the presentation what the restrictions were.

D

Deleted User X18H

Yes but why have the restriction?

Because people want, and pay for something a bit different.

You can dress up a bit if you want. Not be like the thousands in replica shirts if you don't want to be.

Don't forget in the Bupa, afterwards, Wayne Bridge or Vicente turn , sorry, I mean man of the match.

It's just an image the Albion try and create it's not elitest, it's simply creating a sense of uniformity that is seperate to other areas of the stadium. Plus a lanyard will look silly over the top of an replica shirt.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Because people want, and pay for something a bit different.

You can dress up a bit if you want. Not be like the thousands in replica shirts if you don't want to be.

Don't forget in the Bupa, afterwards, Wayne Bridge or Vicente turn , sorry, I mean man of the match.

It's just an image the Albion try and create it's not elitest, it's simply creating a sense of uniformity that is seperate to other areas of the stadium. Plus a lanyard will look silly over the top of an replica shirt.

Well you can wear jeans, as long as you don't wear trainers or a replica shirt it's ok then? You can't dress poorly with shoes and a flowery shirt?

I just think the dress code thing is daft. Yes you could say no shorts, open footwear, ripped clothes or track suits. That pretty much is the norm with smart casual. But to stop people with trainers and say no replica shirts is just daft. Even BA in first class don't have a dress code anymore, because they recognise that if you pay alot of money you can wear what you like. Alot of trainers cost alot more than shoes, so too replica shirts cost £40 notes. It's not cheap wear.
I just think if they relaxed the dress code to smart casual, you wouldnt have this problem. There would then also be no need to split the 1901. As far as the players go, have you seen what they wear? It's not a Marks and Spencer's Suit with Clarks shoes!

D

Deleted User X18H

Well you can wear jeans, as long as you don't wear trainers or a replica shirt it's ok then? You can't dress poorly with shoes and a flowery shirt?

I just think the dress code thing is daft. Yes you could say no shorts, open footwear, ripped clothes or track suits. That pretty much is the norm with smart casual. But to stop people with trainers and say no replica shirts is just daft. Even BA in first class don't have a dress code anymore, because they recognise that if you pay alot of money you can wear what you like. Alot of trainers cost alot more than shoes, so too replica shirts cost £40 notes. It's not cheap wear.
I just think if they relaxed the dress code to smart casual, you wouldnt have this problem. There would then also be no need to split the 1901. As far as the players go, have you seen what they wear? It's not a Marks and Spencer's Suit with Clarks shoes!

The thing is though they are not desperate for 1901 members, it's sold out. With a waiting list.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The thing is though they are not desperate for 1901 members, it's sold out. With a waiting list.

Look ive heard plenty of people that have been in 1901 moan about the dress code. You think that asking a woman to take her trainers off to enter is ok? It's Football not a party conference. Yes have smart casual, no silly hats and stuff but if you've paid to get in, you should be able to more or less wear what you like (within reason).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having people walking around shoe-less must be EXACTLY the look the club are after with the 1901.

Nothing says 'special' quite like people with no shoes.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
My son couldn't make the match last night so I took my wife. She's not into football but I thought she might like the atmosphere etc. However, she was refused entry to the 1901 club because she was wearing trainers (very smart pinky jobs they were) No matter how I pleaded they wouldn't let her go in unless she took them off and walked in her stockened feet. How ridiculous is all that.

I'm intrigued to enquire as to why you didn't inform your wife that trainers are not allowed as part of the dress code before you left home. Were you genuinely not aware that was the case?

D

Deleted User X18H

Look ive heard plenty of people that have been in 1901 moan about the dress code. You think that asking a woman to take her trainers off to enter is ok? It's Football not a party conference. Yes have smart casual, no silly hats and stuff but if you've paid to get in, you should be able to more or less wear what you like (within reason).

Yes I do. Because the club has made a concession to her.There is a strict NO TRAINER rule that I , my guests and every 1901 member has to observe.

Instead of saying no you can't come in , they said yea come in but take your trainers off.

It is up to the member, to advise each guest whether the member attends or not , of what the dress code is.

I sent a mate home last season who turned up at London Road Station in trainers. Luckily he lived quite near. But I told him prior to this NO TRAINERS.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Yes I do. Because the club has made a concession to her.There is a strict NO TRAINER rule that I , my guests and every 1901 member has to observe.

Instead of saying no you can't come in , they said yea come in but take your trainers off.

It is up to the member, to advise each guest whether the member attends or not , of what the dress code is.

I sent a mate home last season who turned up at London Road Station in trainers. Luckily he lived quite near. But I told him prior to this NO TRAINERS.

Ok, ok. Whatever, there's no problem at all then.
Read your post back and tell me it doesn't sound a bit stupid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here