Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relationships - What do you reckon?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Did he get a new contract because he went to the pub a certain amount of times last year?

He did indeed, despite showing poor form at times.

For his testimonial I took him to a different pub, it was nice enough but some of our other friends said he should have expected better as he always gives 100%.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He did indeed, despite showing poor form at times.

For his testimonial I took him to a different pub, it was nice enough but some of our other friends said he should have expected better as he always gives 100%.

You can't expect to throw someone into a new pub and them to perform straight away, it takes time to build form

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Please excuse the essay, but it was alot more interesting doing this than doing any work.
'The One' theory is a very simplistic way of looking at things. In reality there are billions of people in the world, that means that there are many people out there suited to you, you just need situation to dictate that you meet them at the right time.

The way I think of it is that everyone has a path in life, these paths cross with many people each day. Every now and then you cross with someone who is relationship material, if situation dictates that it is right for both of you to enter into a relationship at that given time then your paths become entwined by experiencing things togeather, your personalities also tend to rub off on each other entwining things even further.

Things tend to go wrong if you try to force the issue by either getting with someone at the wrong time or forcing things with someone when you aren't right for each other. I've seen loads of my mates waste months or years with birds when they clearly aren't right for each other. Although as I said on the other thread, some people are clearly much happier when they are rowing and having dramas all the time.

I think your game playing theory is sound and works alongside what I have said. From personal experience I have been f***ed over by the preverbial game player, I realised that it will never work with me and those types and for the past few years have stopped things at the dating stage with any bird who I thought had that in them. That has worked well for me as I've been with my current girlfriend for 5 months and we haven't had a row yet, although she did get the hump with me when I suggested that women have smaller brains than men :D I've got a very good feeling about this one, but as you say it was down to pure luck that we met.

I think the main thing is to be patient, I've just ended a dry patch of 4 years waiting to meet a bird worth the effort, not that I haven't tried with a few, but they all got cut off (or cut me off) after a few dates because I realised that it wasn't going to work in the long run.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
William my son, I like your outlook. I feel this may be worth a try.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My missus and I met a school and in two days time we have been "going out" for 31 years ( 26 years married this April).

I am not sure its luck, I think a lot of it is how you treat eachother and what you are willing to put into a relationship as much as what you expect to get out of it.

I have never been in a violent relationship, but know a couple of people who have and I personally think a man who raises his fists to a woman is beneath contempt, but that is just my opinion and I apprecaite people have pressures they deal with in different ways. I also think that having interests outside the two of you, ie I go to football, sing in Choirs etc and my misses does Yoga and that sort of thing although we have recently discovered Latin/ballroom dancing which we do on a Monday and tuesday which we both have a fantastic time at ( bloody hard work too!!) ( and why I dont go to Albion games those nights any more)

At the end of the day, personally I think it is much easier to walk away from something when it starts to go wrong that to work through it. My mum and dad didnt have the happiest of times, but the last few years before dad died, they seemed to have worked through the problems and tragically as it turned out, much happier!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Surely there is only one man who can be the authority on this subject?

1066 the floor is yours......

Nouvelle Vague deliberately chose the youngest female singers they could find for the re-workings of the (mainly) British 80s new wave songs from their first 2 albums. The main force behind NV wanted someone who could come to the song without baggage and preconceptions formed by previous listening.

As with most French music it is either very good or very very cheesy. In this case NV's albums really work. I heartily recommend Friday night, Saturday morning sung more as a reprise, kind of reminds me of Tom's Diner (which I'm sure Vega fans will remember featured both as a main song and a reprise on her album). Also worth mentioning is the simple beauty of "In a manner of speaking". It's as if Beth Orton had written a song to her soon to be lover and bravely baring her soul for him.

The second album is quirkier but the very Frenchified "Fade to Grey" is the highlight for me. Fragile, stripped right back and (as the sleevenotes attest) as if a busker on the tube were giving their unwanted biography to busy commuters who neither care nor have the time to look up from their routine to take stock of a life unfulfilled.

Where am I going with this and what has it got to do with anything? Maybe, just maybe, 1066's virgin naivety and awkwardness around women can give us all an angle hitherto discarded as so unsighted as to be worthless that on further viewing opens up the answer that we all seek.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
:bowdown::bowdown: Buzzer!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree with Billy and Dave.

Ive had some car crash realtionships in my time but I was with the SFW for 12 years and that counts for something - I was in love once and believe that as Billy says that its being patient. Mind you I aint gonna live like a monk either as I have a bet to win ;)

I would also add that some people also do settle for second best and go out with people or form relationships simply because they are scared they will be "alone" even tho they are clearly not happy.

Also I do agree with Dave as well, im still trying to put my finger on why me and the ex girlfriend split and I can really only think like Dave says its easier to walk away then at least try or even talk about it.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was discussing the nature of relationships with Nibble and a mate of ours on Christmas Eve and thought it might be quite pertinent to ask what people think given Digweeds thread.

I personally think relationships are blind luck, our neuroses, desires and need to not die alone guide us into and through our relationships with partners. I don't believe in soul mates or 'the one', I feel you meet people who feel right at a certain time but fundamentally you are very lucky if these relationships last.

In the main it's all about game playing and in that situation there are rarely winners. If two people who hardly play the game at all get together then it stands more chance of working. However game players are usually people with emotional baggage who play games because they are unhappy while people who aren't playing the game to any great level usually end up getting f***ed by these people so are made unhappy themselves.

Nibble on the other hand felt that that was reading to much into it and that it's not as much of a game as that and that people will meet someone who is right for them.

Anyway what do people think?

By the way I'm not a completely cynical psycho, I do believe it can work just there's not really much chance of it:)

I think you have more chance of finding a girl that is right for you if you are not a Raving Iron living with bum chums whilst approaching the age of 30.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I think you have more chance of finding a girl that is right for you if you are not a Raving Iron living with bum chums whilst approaching the age of 30.

Well if you're a f***ing homosexual how is a girl gonna be right for you you f***ing spazmoidian f*** stick.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I would also add that some people also do settle for second best and go out with people or form relationships simply because they are scared they will be "alone" even tho they are clearly not happy.

EXACTLY, I've seen many decent potential girlfriends fall into that trap time and time again, its that whole sense of "better than being on your own" well is it?
I'm very independent and since I said "I Love You" to one (and the only) girl back in the early 2000s I've been very wary of who I get involved with. Usually more often than not its me screwing up the relationship but looking back its only because deep down I've known them "Not to be the One". Maybe "the One" was that girl I loved back then and since then I strive to find her replica, maybe I'm too single minded in life (do what I want, when I want - ALL OF THE TIME!) which is also holding me back as I enjoy being single and doing what I want, when I want - ALL OF THE TIME!

But I believe the guys before me, there are paths and at that perfect time I might well find that girl which lights that spark and then see's the light for the rest of my days, maybe Fate is the answer, maybe Luck is the answer...for I'll just keep on rolling along and biding my time until that day.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Les mate - I don't think you want a relationship right now. Why else would you be thinking anything you start won't last?

There ain't anything wrong with being single for a while....heck knows many girls love the strong, independent type...I should know I married one! :lol:

You aren't going to have a long term relationship until you let yourself have one. At the moment you aren't.

PS - Don't ever go looking for love, it'll smack you in the forehead when you least expect (hopefully you'll have clean undies on) :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here