Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

regrets

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm a great believer in fate, so If I changed anything I had done earlier in my life, I probably wouldn't be where I am now. As I am happy with my lot right now, I wouldn't change anything I've done before.

No regrets about this, but I guess it was some sort of life-changing decision.

I had applied for a job as a university lecturer at Lancaster. They offered me an interview. I decided I didn't want the job, withdrew my application and never again applied for a similar job. Had I stuck with it, I might have ended up an entirely different person in a different place.

And, just possibly, a Preston North End supporter.

I might wish I'd had more regard for money and the keeping of it, for the hoarding of it until I could put it to use to make more money....instead of spending it all as it came in, on living in the now, for today, for the moment.
But then, my life would have been changed completely by different values, and money can tie you down to things, occupy your mind, give you other worries, change your track in life and change the people you mix with.
So.....no, ultimately it's not that I might regret, I can't regret my life and my people and my values - these things all culminate to a whole 'oevre' that is my self, my choices that led to who I am.

So..... the biggest regret I can have, was listening to my parents - who were born of another time, of different values, and who suffered for not changing with the times. I stuck with a crap job because my parents said I needed professional longevity. My father was screwed for years by a company (The Co-op) that held him down, because he was looking at a pension he would lose if he walked. He stayed for years, then got the picture and moved to The Polytech, then next door to Sussex Uni. Suddenly, he was doing something to be proud of, but he died before he could retire anyway, he never collected any pension!

I had stayed with that crap job though, instead of auditioning for 'Quadrophenia' like I'd wanted. It was something that was at last my own choice, my decision to do, stick my neck out. An audition was in the balance, arranged with American casting director Patsy Pollock, but waiting for her to get settled in after arriving from the States.
Parental argumentations and strife ensued "a few weeks of filming, and you will be out of a JOB, having to go on the dole", 'stay in your shitfactory job working with nohopes and wankers, the eventual nervous breakdowns and years of longing to have lived your own choices until your heart attack and death'.

My most successful friend learned IT early, working with computers, he changed jobs like shirts, leaping and bounding up the wage-scale each time, headhunted into the hundreds of thousands per annum!

My parents got that wrong, and with all due respect to them, they were living proofs that their honourable ethics were utterly and abjectly misguided.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I wish I hadn't met most of my exes!
I wish I'd have known what was going to happen to the Brighton property market when I bought my place in the late 90's. I'd have bought a f*cking mansion!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Similar to NMH - being hidebound by what my parents had thought was the "right way" to do things.
Two of us were in the same job - me and my best mate - we both got interviews for anothe job and he got it and I didn't. He now earns three times what I do and seems to change jobs every 12-18 months. I have been with the same employer for 30 years and am completely fed up but am now too old to be employable elsewhere.
But "I wish" doesn't get you anything does it . . .

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.
Henry David Thoreau

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I want to say I wish I had stayed at college and gone to uni to do something like sports coaching or something like that, but I didnt, and I started working full time and im happy with my life and I know half of what Ive got now I wouldnt have if I didnt work in my current job so im gunna keep what Ive got and not regret anything!!

But I will alwyas wonder what could have been

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
... and getting married of course.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
For a start I wouldn't have married either of my two wives, I also should have been unfaithful to the first one in the light of experience.

Similar but I would rather have met the second instead of the first I certainly would not be living in the damp shit hole of a country (UK) and we might have even been rich.....................................but then I have got two great children from the first marriage ........you can't have it all

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How I`d wish I had listened to my dad on that morning all those years ago.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
not going to Selhurst for McShane in the 79th minute because I thought I couldn't afford to spend the money... would have probably cost me about 70 quid and it would have been amongst the best money spent ever :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here