Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Refreshments at the Amex

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They only had 1 of the food outlets open in WSU, hence the queues.
I know it was also reduced capacity, but I'm sure with all 3 open, it'll be a lot quicker.

No actually, the one at the south end was open too but hardly anyone was using it.

Gumbo

Feb 18, 2009
The man was amazed i wanted sugar with my cuppa and after consulting with his supervisor they said there wasnt any in the building!!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Oh, I assumed as the North was closed, the South was, and I imagine a lot of people probably thought this. There should have been someone telling people the South was open.

Uridium

May 30, 2011
It will be so much quicker when all the outlets are open (plus smart cards and the benefit of experience!).

The pies were bloody lovely :amex:

james

May 14, 2004
Lindfield
Brilliant comedey value trying to buy in the WSL today. Me: two chilli beef noodles. Reply: we are not doing that as there is no button on the computer. Chef at the back after a few minutes of questioning: I have chilli beef noodles here. Me: two then please, one with harveys and one with a pint of fosters. Reply: you can't have a meal deal with harveys as its not on the computer. After much questioning, supervisor comes over and say: Harveys is not on the till yet so press the fosters button and give him Harveys. Where was David Walliams when you needed him - computer says no!
The other problem was that they only had 1 person serving to a till which made is so slow - taking the order, pay and then get the food/drink. Fortunately it was all good humoured but if it continues there could be a lot of unhappy people.

Besides that though, great afternon - what a stadium!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Catering: Very good - when you could get to it. Happy to pay £6.50 for a pint of Kronenbourg (£3.80 by itself) and a very substantial steak 'n ale pie. Think the beer could be speeded up by having people selling from backpacks in the concourse. General consensus worryingly was that if service is that slow then there's very little incentive to stay on at the end of the game and let the train queues die down.

Trains: faultless. 6 minutes London Road to Falmer, got the 17:05 back. The platforms were well supervised and stewarded and it may pay some people wanting to go to Brighton to go to Lewes and double back on themselves. Would say though the platforms were fairly packed, half the seats in the carriage I was on were empty. Could have easily got another fifty people on there alone.

Ticketing: great access the card readers scan both swipes and paper tickets.

PA: tremendous. Though a great fan of punk, it was a nice change to listen to some fairly safe poppy toe-tappers. Seemed to go with the mood of the day somehow.

Crowd noise: North Stand were very loud with only a scattering of fans. Elsewhere in the ground: oh dear. WSU was sadly reminiscent of the old West Stand at the Goldstone. Utterly silent. Must try harder.

Big screens: couldn't really fault them, came into their own when doing close-ups of messrs Knight, Perry and Bloom.

Little screens: classy and plentiful. Sky Sports News throughout. Nice.

Club shop: Big, oddly seemed to have less of a range of stock than the Queens Road shop. Expect it'll all come onstream soon enough tho.

Football: so-so, as you might expect from the SSC. But that's neither here nor there.

General viewing: Superb

Stewarding: Light touch, friendly

Negatives: Only real grouch, which should have been easily avoidable , was having nowhere to shelter from the seriously pissing it down rain other than the club shop when they ridiculously didn't open the doors to concourse until nearly half one. As a result got far wetter than I did at Withdean at any time last season.

Conclusion: A very promising first run-out for our new home. We'll grow into it! :amex: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh yes, and one of the snacks on offer was the mysterious 'Hanging Bag' (£2.50). I wanted to ask the bloke serving me what on earth that could be, but he was looking severely stressed so I didn't bother. Anybody any ideas?

I was looking forward to my pre game pint. I never got it.

Knowing I cant take a pint to my seat, and due to the fact I was with kids. I queued for 40 mins only to be told no kids meals.

Guy next to me was told no coffee.

I could not spend 4 x £6 on burgers. Never got back for a pint.

In the east 2 outta 3 stands were open, but the problem is that the east was only 1/3 full. OK, refreshements can increase by 50% but spectators will also increase by 200%

They need seperate Beer areas and places kids can go to get sweets/soft drinks etc.

AND. We need somewhere to eat/drink our stuff on the concourse. There was maybe shelving enough for 15 people in the whole of the east stand.

Plenty of loo's, but never used - I guess coz no one was able to fill their bladders!

Catering: Very good - when you could get to it. Happy to pay £6.50 for a pint of Kronenbourg (£3.80 by itself) and a very substantial steak 'n ale pie. Think the beer could be speeded up by having people selling from backpacks in the concourse. General consensus worryingly was that if service is that slow then there's very little incentive to stay on at the end of the game and let the train queues die down.

Trains: faultless. 6 minutes London Road to Falmer, got the 17:05 back. The platforms were well supervised and stewarded and it may pay some people wanting to go to Brighton to go to Lewes and double back on themselves. Would say though the platforms were fairly packed, half the seats in the carriage I was on were empty. Could have easily got another fifty people on there alone.

Ticketing: great access the card readers scan both swipes and paper tickets.

PA: tremendous. Though a great fan of punk, it was a nice change to listen to some fairly safe poppy toe-tappers. Seemed to go with the mood of the day somehow.

Crowd noise: North Stand were very loud with only a scattering of fans. Elsewhere in the ground: oh dear. WSU was sadly reminiscent of the old West Stand at the Goldstone. Utterly silent. Must try harder.

Big screens: couldn't really fault them, came into their own when doing close-ups of messrs Knight, Perry and Bloom.

Little screens: classy and plentiful. Sky Sports News throughout. Nice.

Club shop: Big, oddly seemed to have less of a range of stock than the Queens Road shop. Expect it'll all come onstream soon enough tho.

Football: so-so, as you might expect from the SSC. But that's neither here nor there.

General viewing: Superb

Stewarding: Light touch, friendly

Negatives: Only real grouch, which should have been easily avoidable , was having nowhere to shelter from the seriously pissing it down rain other than the club shop when they ridiculously didn't open the doors to concourse until nearly half one. As a result got far wetter than I did at Withdean at any time last season.

Conclusion: A very promising first run-out for our new home. We'll grow into it! :amex: :thumbsup:

Actually have to say (sitting in East) that one time the WSU did make some noise it was louder than the North. There was even some East stand noise. I have no doubt the atmosphere will rock at a proper game

I missed not having the time or the number of minute to go anywhere on the screens or elsewhere. Even Withers has a clock

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Oh yes, and one of the snacks on offer was the mysterious 'Hanging Bag' (£2.50). I wanted to ask the bloke serving me what on earth that could be, but he was looking severely stressed so I didn't bother. Anybody any ideas?

I would have thought a hanging bag would be things like Maltesers, Minstrels etc surely?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Correct - bought a pack myself to make up for the shit hot dog!

If they are the standard sized bags, £2.50 is not too shabby as most supermarkets seem to be selling them for around the £2 mark these days.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
A special mention must be made of Isak serving refeshments at the south end of West Stand Lower. He didn't know how to work the till, let alone understand anything anyone was ordering. I was third in the queue and it still took 15 minutes to get a pie and a pint. When I handed my £7 over, he registered £707 with the till indicating I was due change of £700.50. He even got that wrong and only gave me 50p change.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Actually have to say (sitting in East) that one time the WSU did make some noise it was louder than the North.

Totally agree, it was very impressive. Would have liked them to have tried out the acoustics more than once though. Nevermind, I'm sure the singers will turn out in force for the proper games. North Stand will still be louder tho :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone sample the 1901 sit down meals?

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I decided to go to the swan as ground was not open. they had about 8 staff on duty and only aroung 20 customers. What did strike me was that the club had sent around 7 stewards to work the doors of the pub. Did return to ground and had 2 pints ( both ordered at the same time ) have to agree the staff on the kiosks made Mcdonalds look quality

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here