Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Been looking for a thread on this, but couldn't find one. Doubtless someone will 'fixture' me for this, but if not, I can't believe that there isn't a thread about the hopeless, one-sided cretin in the yellow yesterday.

Bennett booked for kicking the ball away, when their fellow did exactly the same under the same circumstances in the first half.

Kuipers booked and penalised for time-wasting, when their goalie was doing exactly the same in the first half.

Dickinson (rightly) booked for reacting to the ref for (wrongly) giving them a free-kick when their ginger forward was given a 'you fouled him there, there, there, there and there' warning. TWICE.

Incompetence doesn't even come close - and as for the offside given against Bennett for which he subsequently got booked. :wozza:

However, in his defence, he was the only interesting thing that happened in what was otherwise a sorely tedious game. I'm amazed he wasn't awarded Man of the Match, such was his limelight-hogging.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd never seen a ref whistle for throw-ins before either. I think he was out to impress.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Never seen a ref talk the players through the game so much. Some referees need to remember that they are there to make it a fair match and the crowd haven't come to see them!!

Lamps

Dec 30, 2008
Tenterden, Kent.
The linesman didn't have the greatest match either. He failed to spot an lot of shirt pulling and pushing to which Forster seemed to have words him in the first half I think it was. The ref at Stockport wasn't much better either.
Does a match report get written on the Refs performance after every match at all?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Moaning about referees is so tedious. Why do people do it instead of looking at the deficiencies in our team first? Unless they make an obvious error that turns the match on it's head and clearly affects the result, I'm really not fussed by refs at all. They're all a bit annoying but that goes with passionately supporting one side I'm afraid.

I have eaten enough fish to give myself enough brain power to consider the referee as well as looking at the team's deficiencies, rather than just instead of them.

The 'obvious error' you refer to misses the point. It's like saying you're not fussed about driving at 90mph through a 30mph area - unless you have a crash. How about trying to minimise or eradicate a problem BEFORE it becomes one?

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Might have something to do with the fact he was being assessed. He was woefully inconsistent - but thankfully it didn't affect the outcome. He booked Bennett, but didn't book Zebroski for the same infringement. Ditto Kuipers and the Wycombe keeper, who was time wasting all the time the score was nil-nil!

Also, I still haven't forgotten him allowing Cheltenham's third equalising goal last season, after the ball had gone three yards out of play on the south side. He also was poor (although not as poor as we were) at Walsall, where he let a red-card challenge on Al Bangura go completely unpunished (he didn't even give a free kick).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
He was yet another shite ref in a game that's full of shite ref's. Let's all put our hands together for the 'Respect' campaign...

ps Are there any decent ones left?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Walking past many wycombe fans on the way home, almost every one of them commented on how poor the referee was to them!
Its something both sets of fans almost every game complain about, and the days when we dont complain about a referee will probably mean the other side didnt recieve many decisions. Its something over the course of the season will almost certainly even its self out. Not that it matters anyway, 3 points is 3 points!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Moaning about referees is so tedious. Why do people do it instead of looking at the deficiencies in our team first? Unless they make an obvious error that turns the match on it's head and clearly affects the result, I'm really not fussed by refs at all. They're all a bit annoying but that goes with passionately supporting one side I'm afraid.

And certain people moaning about our players, manager etc isn't tedious?

The ref deserves the criticism he is getting for his poor display.

The match would have been a far better specticle had he allowed the game to flow as it should rather than continually stopping the match over nothing incidents. (eg. Kuipers caught the cross, yet the ref made him take a free kick rather than letting play carry on)

btw - Your opinions........... - North Stand Chat

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
These sort of threads/posts seem to appear after EVERY game. We can't always have a bad ref.

We have so far this season, perhaps we're using them all up early and the rest of the season will be hunky dory.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I know it's a cliche but we really do need more ex-pros as refs. The whole culture of refs keeping separate and aloof from players and managers will never improve ref standards.

As stated, thankfully he didn't affect the result.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Nice idea, but surely many ex-players would have a lot of clubs they either like or dislike. And lots of players they're mates with or really hate from their own playing days. And sets of fans they have a problem with. So basically, whilst it's a good idea, how would you get impartiality?

So because they are not ex players, they won't have favorite players or clubs either?

At least ex-players would have a greater understanding of what is a part of the game and this help should benefit the flow of the match, and therefore also the specticle on offer to fans, rather than getting refs who blow their whistles for nothing incidents, leading to frustrated players and fans, and opening them up to more abuse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here