Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nice idea, but surely many ex-players would have a lot of clubs they either like or dislike. And lots of players they're mates with or really hate from their own playing days. And sets of fans they have a problem with. So basically, whilst it's a good idea, how would you get impartiality?

Doesn't seem to bother cricket authorities. We frequently get old Sussex players at Hove (and other counties will welcome former players) and no-one seems to too concerned.

It could be that refs are professional enough to put any loyalties aside.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Might have something to do with the fact he was being assessed. He was woefully inconsistent - but thankfully it didn't affect the outcome. He booked Bennett, but didn't book Zebroski for the same infringement. Ditto Kuipers and the Wycombe keeper, who was time wasting all the time the score was nil-nil!

Also, I still haven't forgotten him allowing Cheltenham's third equalising goal last season, after the ball had gone three yards out of play on the south side. He also was poor (although not as poor as we were) at Walsall, where he let a red-card challenge on Al Bangura go completely unpunished (he didn't even give a free kick).

Aren't refs automatically assessed at every FL game?

Gavin Ward (for that is he) doesn't look as if he's going to cut it as a ref at this level to me.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I thought he was poor and inconsistent.

If Kuipers was time wasting, what about their 22 who was cleaning the ball at every throw in and increasingly taking the piss? Or later when one nil down and he kept trying to gain about 10 yards, the ref would tell him to get back, then take his eye of him and watch the field of play while he goes right back to where he originally planned to take it?

When they made their double substitution, it took ages before the first bloke even made a move to get off the pitch as everyone just seemed to be standing around. Didn’t even see the ref try and sort this out. There was also an incident in the second half where he gave Wycombe a free kick but not even their players seemed to have a clue what it was all about. Their defenders were climbing all over Dickinson throughout the game without the ref giving a single foul that I can recall.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
There weher men in suits at the match who where "watching the ref" on saturday......so said the SCR during the match.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
At the end of the first half the fourth official signalled 1 minute extra, then Whingy got injured and was down for quite a long time.When recovered we began a possible creative move(unusual in first half!) when he blew the whistle according to my watch after only adding on about 50 secs and not the original minute and no time for Whingy's injury! I try to look at a referee's performance from both sides but even doing that he was very poor. Surprisingly I think he was right to penalise Michel at the end as he did take an inordinate length of time to release the ball and was not subtle about his timewasting.However as previously mentioned he was inconsistent and did not punish the same offence which they were constantly pereforming all the time it was 0-0.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
So because they are not ex players, they won't have favorite players or clubs either?

At least ex-players would have a greater understanding of what is a part of the game and this help should benefit the flow of the match, and therefore also the specticle on offer to fans, rather than getting refs who blow their whistles for nothing incidents, leading to frustrated players and fans, and opening them up to more abuse.

Reffere - bias oppinion on the club he supported there rivals and maybe 2-3 other teams who his parents support or whatever.

Ex-Player 2-6 ex clubs and countless ex team mates who he will want to see do well, he would favour clubs he did well against as a player, then if there were players he had run-ins with he might not be completly fair with them, also you could get to the point where fans where chanting at the ref for being a Palace reject or booing the ref's name when its read out, ex-players as refs works in theory but doesn't work in realality.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
At the end of the first half the fourth official signalled 1 minute extra, then Whingy got injured and was down for quite a long time.When recovered we began a possible creative move(unusual in first half!) when he blew the whistle according to my watch after only adding on about 50 secs and not the original minute and no time for Whingy's injury! ...

Why would he add any time for an injury that was already in added time?

He was, however, a jumped up little twerp with a serious case of small man syndome.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Surprisingly I think he was right to penalise Michel at the end as he did take an inordinate length of time to release the ball and was not subtle about his timewasting.However as previously mentioned he was inconsistent and did not punish the same offence which they were constantly pereforming all the time it was 0-0.
Agreed - although the ref was inconsistent he was crap towards both sides, not just us, though we did get the worst of it.

Although their keeper did take his time clearing a few times in the first half, Kuipers took the piss in the extreme for the one the ref blew up for at the end. The ref had already told him to get on with it at least twice beforehand as well.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I knew what sort of ref he was going to be when him and the two linesmen were warming up in front of the family stand and giving each other hugs & high fives before the game...Anyone would have thought THEY were the players!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here