Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ref butted by No. 9 at Clymping v Southwick game today

When I played for them in the 60s they played on the green opposite the village hall and changed in the village hall.
In their previous spell in county football a chap used to put up a large tarpaulin all around the pitch as was required under County League rules. When at The Glebelands ask Dean about Tom Carver who used to walk across the pitch at kick off every home game and sit in the centre circle on his wheel barrow and have a smoke as he maintained it was a public park and organised football should not have been permitted.
I lived in Ferring in 1978 and knew the village used to have a County League club. 33 years later, I have found out why I was unable to discover any trace of an enclosed football ground!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was at Southwick the day Armstrong jumped into the crowd after being sent off and butted some bloke!

So was I, but I think, for the benefit of members who weren't there, you have to put this into perspective. Albion played a lot of youngsters who were getting kicked to bits by Southwick players who thought it was fun. Gerry had had enough and had a go back and was sent off. On his way back to the changing rooms, some twat hurled some abuse at Gerry, so he jumped over and stuck one on him. I don't think anyone there blamed him. However, Gerry fell on his sword and that was his last game for the club. A great bloke both on and off the field.

Nealy67

Mar 29, 2011
Apparently Arundel v East Grinstead county league game abandoned today after 75 mins due to 'serious incident' anyone know what happened?

Apparently Arundel v East Grinstead county league game abandoned today after 75 mins due to 'serious incident' anyone know what happened?
Nomad Forum View topic - Arundel v East Grinstead Town F C

And this, from GrinsteadMark on another thread on that board:-

Arundel 2-1 East Grinstead Town - match abandoned

Oh dear. Such a sorry incident to share with the Sussex football community. What had been a relatively normal match - unspiteful and without nasty challenges or attitudes although refereed in a inexplicably inconsistent and frustrating fashion in my view - was abandoned after a poor challenge from John-Paul Collier led to a bit of a brawl. Some punches were thrown amidst the pushing and shoving.

J-P was sent off (not unfairly I think) for the challenge and an Arundel player and Rikki Cable were then also dismissed by the referee for their part in the ensuing scene. I didn't see the actions of either player so can't comment on whether those dismissals were fair or not.

Just as the match was getting ready to re-start, there was a ruckus in the entrance to the changing rooms in which a gentleman (Arundel's chairman I heard, my apologies if that's inaccurate) was knocked to the ground as he tried to intercede. Word from a couple of people to whom I spoke was that he was caught accidently as he very bravely tried to calm things down. He took several minutes to recover and my very best wishes to him.

In the aftermath of this, it seemed inappropriate to play football and Tony Buckingham very sensibly took the East Grinstead team off the pitch. Police attended the club. I think both TB and the Chairman Richard were very dignified and sensible in very difficult circumstances. Arundel officials too.

I'd really enjoyed my visit to this beautiful ground until the incident. My best wishes to the gentleman involved, the players and fans at Arundel.

To avoid any doubt, please remember that I'm not a member, or otherwise officially involved with EGTFC so all views are my own.

And more, from Captain Barbosa:-

Yes it was the Arundel Chairman. No one (including himself) really knows how he ended up unconcious. He's currently in a&e being treated for concussion. A shame because up until the tackle it was a cracking game. I dont know what got into the 1st eg player to recieve red head but it really lead to an ugly scene. The arundel players wanted to continue the game, as would the chairman (my dad). Eg simply refused to carry on. Make of it what you will, but 2-1 down with 9 players MAY have something to do with it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Arundel 2-1 East Grinstead Town - match abandoned

Oh dear. Such a sorry incident to share with the Sussex football community. What had been a relatively normal match - unspiteful and without nasty challenges or attitudes although refereed in a inexplicably inconsistent and frustrating fashion in my view - was abandoned after a poor challenge from John-Paul Collier led to a bit of a brawl. Some punches were thrown amidst the pushing and shoving.

J-P was sent off (not unfairly I think) for the challenge and an Arundel player and Rikki Cable were then also dismissed by the referee for their part in the ensuing scene. I didn't see the actions of either player so can't comment on whether those dismissals were fair or not.

Just as the match was getting ready to re-start, there was a ruckus in the entrance to the changing rooms in which a gentleman (Arundel's chairman I heard, my apologies if that's inaccurate) was knocked to the ground as he tried to intercede. Word from a couple of people to whom I spoke was that he was caught accidently as he very bravely tried to calm things down. He took several minutes to recover and my very best wishes to him.

In the aftermath of this, it seemed inappropriate to play football and Tony Buckingham very sensibly took the East Grinstead team off the pitch. Police attended the club. I think both TB and the Chairman Richard were very dignified and sensible in very difficult circumstances. Arundel officials too.

I'd really enjoyed my visit to this beautiful ground until the incident. My best wishes to the gentleman involved, the players and fans at Arundel.

To avoid any doubt, please remember that I'm not a member, or otherwise officially involved with EGTFC so all views are my own.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Sussex county league is going mad! Whats wrong with some people?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Anyone that head-butts a ref should be taken to court - regardless of the level of the game. I hope the official pursues it to help protect other refs in future. The fact it's on a football field should be no mitigation at all IMHO.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Anyone that head-butts a ref should be taken to court - regardless of the level of the game. I hope the official pursues it to help protect other refs in future. The fact it's on a football field should be no mitigation at all IMHO.

Agreed, violence is violence, doesn't matter whether its in a house, pub, street or park, it's someone attacking someone. What would happen if I headbutted a person in authority in West St tonight .. Jail, me thinks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here