Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recruitment Agents

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Facter in the biggest rectal discharge in the equation, The HR Department who are the bain of Recruitment consultants lives.

its funny because my mrs works in HR and her opinion of them is similar to mine. she says they are too ready to swamp you with inappropriate CV, or forward candidates without their salaray expectations which are higher than the job pays, and constantly cold calling to fish for jobs. Im sure there are alot of fuckups in HR too (one job i went for im pretty sure had two people dealing with recuritment through different agents for the same job), but at least they have a professional standards body. any failed second hand car saleman or eastate agent can setup in recruitment and im coming to the conclusion thats where most of them started.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
its funny because my mrs works in HR and her opinion of them is similar to mine. she says they are too ready to swamp you with inappropriate CV, or forward candidates without their salaray expectations which are higher than the job pays, and constantly cold calling to fish for jobs. Im sure there are alot of fuckups in HR too (one job i went for im pretty sure had two people dealing with recuritment through different agents for the same job), but at least they have a professional standards body. any failed second hand car saleman or eastate agent can setup in recruitment and im coming to the conclusion thats where most of them started.

Have to say that I am very wary of HR departments and HR staff in general. I take your point about them being swamped but the other side is that far too many HR people have a fixed notion of what they are looking for when in fact they know nothing at all about the function they are recruiting for. Because I am an IT Contractor I cannot get a permanent role despite the fact I can get excellent references and have some very, very good reasons for wanting a permanent job. It's worth noting too that at least twice last year I attended interviews which were for jobs that were nothing like what was advertised and in fact had there been an accurate advert placed on neither occasion would I have applied. That cock up was not down to the agency and I believe them as why would they advertise something that differed so much from the actual job ?

The Grub

Nov 14, 2004
Hurstpierpoint
Ah, the good old recruitment agency rant again. It never takes long to have a good old poke at us hardworking folk in the recruitment business.

Did you know that half of the work we do, we don't get paid for? How many of you do that? We only get paid for the work that results in us recruiting someone who accepts a job offer and starts. Unless you have done the job yourself then you're not really in a position to comment.

I too have had both very good and very poor service from recruitment companies. I have also had good and bad service from many other types of business, solicitors, estate agents, taxi drivers etc etc. I think we're just an easy target.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
well, there we go, 2 hours and the guy still hasnt sent me a job spec. what was the point of his call? does the job even exist or was he just logging a call to hit his targets? will we ever know? probably not, as they never give feedback. of 8 interviews ive had over the last few weeks only 4 have bothered to give feedback. for all i know that job i interviewd for 4 weeks ago might still be interested. yeah.

tossers.

Check your junk mail folder. I was cursing an agent the other week and they has sent the job spec to me the day before.

Failing that, continue rant.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It is an industry with more than it's fair share of chancers but sometimes the company recruiting doesn't exactly help by (and this has happened to me recently) interviewing people without having the money signed off to recruit.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Too tired and bored of all this to argue. You can read my opinion in the thread posted by Desperate Seagull. If you want me to abuse you back please PM me and we'll do it privately.

I'm proud to work for my company, have a great reputation in my industry and don't believe you should come anywhere near me with that tarry brush that you have been so busy with.

My summation (which i am rather bored of reiterating) is that there are some bloody good people in recruitment who do a great job, but there are some absolute PRICKS out there too. One of my colleagues located this gem on the S3 website. I'm proud to say that it's just about as far away from my employers culture as you can get, but it certainly good to stoke the fire....

“4 guys walk into a bar, bright shirts, large cuffs and collars, followed by a girl in a fitted Karen Millen trouser suit. A vision of confidence. One, the smaller guy, must only be 21 or so, walks up to the bar, pulls out his wallet, and it’s full of notes. Ever wondered what it was he does for a living? My bet would be that they are Recruitment consultants, working for one of the most successful companies in your area.”

:sick::tosser::laugh::sick::tosser::laugh:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
so todays installment... this is a good ruse. call a candidate with a couple of jobs, then arrange an interview for what is obviously the shittest. this was the out come of yesturdays caller and i agreed but still no f***ing job spec, obviously didnt wnat me to see it untill after i had agreeed. eventually got it and its poor job fit for me, but he wants me to go alone anyway just to make sure. what am i to do, out right refuse and piss him off with the other jobs waiting? so ive been, it was exactly what i thought and he wasnt even surprised. thanked me for going along. yeah, because i was just f***ing fodder to keep the relationship with the client sweet. 3 hours wasted i could have been doing something useful.

tossers.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It never takes long to have a good old poke at us hardworking folk in the recruitment business.

hardworking? at what? busy on the phone except when to tell somone its a rejection? playing buzzword bingo? my heart bleeds.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Shurely not, Mish Moneypenny?

seanconneryjamesbondphowz4.jpg

No, Jamssh Bond is a bottom-grabbing agent!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well personally I had a very good recruitment agency that found me a job. Im still with the same company 5 years later having a had some good career and salary reviews as well! So they did something right!

On the other hand I have come across some right d icks as well but as the grub said they (Rec Cons) are just easy targets, I have recently come across some right cocks at Brighton Council Parking Department.

Doesnt mean EVERYONE who works for the council is a complete cockjugglingthundercunt.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well said, TMLS, old boy. I'll be starting an absolute corking new job in a week and a bit and all thanks to an unmitigated star of a rec con.

Bottle of whisky will be winging its way to him, shortly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My only real beef with recruitment agencies are that they continue to take a cut even though I'm into my 4th contract renewal (5th year) at the company, yet they no value to the process by that stage.

I'd rather they were a bit more honest. Lump sum for placing the candiate, percentage paid through the duration of the contract - but at some point, they must accept that the gravy train runs out.

There are definitely the good ones and bad ones out there, you just have to shop around.

The ones I've had bad experiences with are the ones that say ooooh I've got this amazing £10k a year telesales evening job and stress how much they LOVE to see people happy and in their dream job! Then when you say no thankyou they get all arsey cos they don't get their comission and scrub you off their books.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
My only real beef with recruitment agencies are that they continue to take a cut even though I'm into my 4th contract renewal (5th year) at the company, yet they no value to the process by that stage.

I'd rather they were a bit more honest. Lump sum for placing the candiate, percentage paid through the duration of the contract - but at some point, they must accept that the gravy train runs out.

may be worth asking th firm you work for (and i guess are still paying over the odds to the agency?) if they want to take you on permanent, and split the difference in rates?

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
hardworking? at what? busy on the phone except when to tell somone its a rejection? playing buzzword bingo? my heart bleeds.

Listen, you clearly haven't got a clue. The Grub works a 47 hour week. If she fucks up on any kind of regular basis she gets sacked. However, she has kept her job for almost five years through doing a bloody good job and placing people into roles and keeping her clients happy. How do I know this? I managed her for four and half years. You haven't got a f***ing clue about who this person is and what kind of job she does, so f*** off with the insults.

You clearly have a gripe. Why don't you be man enough to direct it at the recruitment consultant in question rather than just have a big f***ing girly bitch on a totally unrelated message board. Do you honestly think sending a candidate along for an interview that they are unsuited to helps the relationship with a client? Two things seem apparent, THAT PARTICULAR recruitment consultant might not be up to it and you have no f***ing backbone.

Last edited:

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
The Grub recruited a graduate trainee in to the firm I work for and he is top performing in the country. Took time to visit our firm, meet our staff, understand our needs and found the right person to fit in. Job done.:clap2:

Do agree there are recruitment scum out there as in all walks of life and those people are best avoided.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Why don't you be man enough to direct it at the recruitment consultant in question rather than just have a big f***ing girly bitch on a totally unrelated message board.

i have done. guess where that gets me? this girly bitch is my therapy so i dont rant at them.

Do you honestly think sending a candidate along for an interview that they are unsuited to helps the relationship with a client? Two things seem apparent, THAT PARTICULAR recruitment consultant might not be up to it and you have no f***ing backbone.

well you explain it then? i phone the agent and say im not going as its not suitable for me and they give the hard sell. no i dont have back bone, because i need a f***ing job and i know full well that i have to go through agents. and they know that too so treat me like a mug.

thats my gripe, that somehow they have become indespensible to employers, if you contact them direct they say contact their agents, most dont publish jobs on their websites or advertise them direct because this industry has conned them into thinking they provide a valuble service. theres a place for recruitment agents, for temps where you need a pool of people and at the top to identify specilised people in specific jobs. In between its just a load of shit, with companies paying '000 (20% salary is not unusuall i understand) just for someone to send them a bunch of CVs. i thought companies would wake up and just advertise direct on the job boards, so maybe its just dumb HR people who perpetuate the problem. Maybe The Grub is one of those who does actully call back, but my experience is 8/10 dont bother unless they sniff a commission and will drop you if the CV isn't accepted or as soon as you failed an interview, you never hear from them again. did you see the comment earlier, for half of my interviews i havent even been told i was unsuccessful. no commision so they arent interested.

if you work in recruitment and you care about the image, isnt about time there was proper standards and industry regulation to cull the bullshit merchants?

and to add i dont accept anyone, including myself in IT, calling sitting in an office on the phone/computer saying "us hardworking folk" when you consider what some people do for a living.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here