Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Record amount of points to go down

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I fear it will be a long time yet before we can breathe easily. Every team in the division are beating everyone bar Liverpool. Our results against the likes of Spurs and Arsenal are not as great as they could have been seeing that teams around us are winning against top 6 so called sides as well. I am delighted that we are competing better but we must keep up the terrific results as well as taking advantage of the more winnable games that we seem to drop points in.

This season has been more open and exciting than many I can remember in the last 20 odd years in this league. I'm loving it but will be nervously looking at others results for a good while yet!

I really enjoyed todays 2nd half performance from the boys and we more than deserved our point.
We just gotta keep these levels of performance up.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Current estimate from extrapolation is 36pts (with decent GD) needed to stay up.

Quite likely it will be those 36pts, or perhaps 37pts, come the end of the season.

We will be well clear.

What are you extrapolating this from?

Villa in 17th have played 21 and have 21 points. Why would it be less than a point a game?

I'm guessing 39 for safety. If you rely on 38 GD will come into it.

I think we'll be fine, but it would be nice not to be s******* it towards the end of a season for the first time I can remember

One thing in our favour is that the teams we've played twice are Spurs and Chelsea. We have to make hay while the sun shines (relatively speaking) over the next couple of months.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I fear it will be a long time yet before we can breathe easily. Every team in the division are beating everyone bar Liverpool. Our results against the likes of Spurs and Arsenal are not as great as they could have been seeing that teams around us are winning against top 6 so called sides as well. I am delighted that we are competing better but we must keep up the terrific results as well as taking advantage of the more winnable games that we seem to drop points in.

This season has been more open and exciting than many I can remember in the last 20 odd years in this league. I'm loving it but will be nervously looking at others results for a good while yet!

I really enjoyed todays 2nd half performance from the boys and we more than deserved our point.
We just gotta keep these levels of performance up.

Leicester too are pretty untouchable, outclassing virtually everyone, having an astonishing season. Ahead of these huge spenders and/or arrogant clubs, by:

Spurs - 15 points
Arsenal - 21 points
Everton - 20 points
Chelsea - 9 points
Manure - 14 points

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What are you extrapolating this from?

Villa in 17th have played 21 and have 21 points. Why would it be less than a point a game?
The team in 17th don’t go down. 20pts/21x38=36pts.

Having so many teams potentially involved makes it more likely that this estimate will end up correct.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When the bottom teams are all consistently losing to the big 6 it’s 36 to stay up. When they’re not it’s 40. This season looks like a “40” season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
When there are no crap teams getting tailed off and consistently beaten by other non Big 6 teams, it’s 36 to stay up. When there are crap teams, it’s 40. This season looks like a “36” season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There are currently only 15 teams with more than 1 point per game so far. If that continues we will have 15 teams above 38 points with the other 5 teams on 38 or less. This doesn't account for 2nd half improvements or teams falling apart

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The team in 17th don’t go down. 20pts/21x38=36pts.

Having so many teams potentially involved makes it more likely that this estimate will end up correct.

Hmmmm, but we have to get to 17th.

I don't think anyone is interested is what number of points 18th place will get. It's the number of points you need to finish above 18 that matters.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
This season is going to be as tight as the proverbial fishes ********. Any dip in form is going to be severely punished. Watford despite their position are turning into a powerhouse and Norwich have just had a couple of results. To be honest I don't think I would want to put money on any of the bottom half teams staying up, too much of a gamble maybe Everton and Arsenal (I expect them to get their shit together) but the other 8 no way.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This season is going to be as tight as the proverbial fishes ********. Any dip in form is going to be severely punished. Watford despite their position are turning into a powerhouse and Norwich have just had a couple of results. To be honest I don't think I would want to put money on any of the bottom half teams staying up, too much of a gamble.

Yep. Fascinating season this one. I only wish we had 5 points more and could watch the others stress out about it

I still think 39 for safety, i'm very confident we will retain our relatively good goal difference. That means from here P17 W4 D3 L10 would be enough. Highly do-able, and personally I think we'll easily be ok.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
When the bottom teams are all consistently losing to the big 6 it’s 36 to stay up. When they’re not it’s 40. This season looks like a “40” season.

When there are no crap teams getting tailed off and consistently beaten by other non Big 6 teams, it’s 36 to stay up. When there are crap teams, it’s 40. This season looks like a “36” season.

:mad:

HT, I know you are PKP, but are you MG too?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Highly do-able, and personally I think we'll easily be ok.
Agree about the points and to be honest we should have had them. Not so sure that we will Easily stay up. I suspect Norwich will be going straight down but as the the other two who knows. I don't think Watford will take a relegation spot. We certainly have the ability to stay up and unlike last year we most definitely deserve our PL status.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This sort of thread appears pretty much every season. Invariably ends the same way - 36/37 will be enough.

I suppose that's because we're in a relegation battle every season.

Clearly there is significant variance is the number of points needed. Last years total, will not be enough. I'd be surprised if 36 will be enough. Possibly 37 with a decent GD

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here