Recommend a film

Not the last 10 years...but

Double vie de Véronique, La (1991)
Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski

Writing credits
Krzysztof Kieslowski &
Krzysztof Piesiewicz

Genre: Drama / Fantasy / Romance (more)

Plot Summary: Veronika lives in Poland. Veronique lives in Paris. They don't know each other. Veronika gets a place in a music school... (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: The most beautiful movie I've ever watched (more)

User Rating: 7.5/10 (4,389 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:
Irène Jacob .... Weronika/Véronique
Halina Gryglaszewska .... La Tante
Kalina Jedrusik .... La femme barjolée
Aleksander Bardini .... Le chef d'orchestre/Conductor
Wladyslaw Kowalski .... Le père de Weronika/Weronika's father
Jerzy Gudejko .... Antek
Janusz Sterninski .... L'avocat/Lawyer (as Jan Sterninski)
Philippe Volter .... Alexandre Fabbri
Sandrine Dumas .... Catherine
Louis Ducreux .... Le professeur/Professor
Claude Duneton .... Le père de Véronique/Father of Véronique
Lorraine Evanoff .... Claude
Guillaume De Tonquedec .... Serge
Gilles Gaston-Dreyfus .... Jean-Pierre
Alain Frérot .... Le facteur/Postman
(more)

Also Known As:
Podwójne życie Weroniki (Poland)
Podwojne zycie Weroniki (Poland)
The Double Life of Veronique (USA)
Runtime: 98 min
Language: French / Polish
Color: Color (Kodak)
Sound Mix: Dolby SR
Certification: Iceland:L / Argentina:16 / Australia:M / Chile:18 / Finland:S / Spain:13 / Sweden:11 / UK:15 / USA:R / South Korea:18 / Germany:12 (f)

Trivia: Kieslowski originally wanted Andie MacDowell to play Veronique. (more)

Awards: Nominated for Golden Globe. Another 8 wins & 4 nominations (more)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Comments:

15 out of 15 people found the following comment useful:-
The most beautiful movie I've ever watched, 18 March 2004

Author: chanlone from Hong Kong

I still remember over 10 years ago watching this movie all alone in a theatre with no one else (Monday afternoon or some other week day time). Irene Jacob, the streets of France and Poland, the editing, the love scenes, the plastic ball reflections, and especially the music all are so beautiful that actually made me shivered and stunned.

Kieslowski's in another world now. I always worry whether it's possible to watch another movie that struck me so badly. A million thanks to him for showing me the most beautiful film of my life (probably).

p.s. this film has only been released in VHS - so ridiculous, a shame of the industry.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Requiem For a Dream
Dead Man
Donnie Darko
The Straight Story
24 Hour Party People ( :bowdown: )
Go
Fargo
Leon
Memento
Downfall
Amelie
The City of Lost Children
Goodbye Lenin!
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Motorcycle Diaries

...and loads more.

Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man is probably my favourite of all those...

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Switchblade Romance (or 'Haute Tension').

Cracking French suspense/horror film. Dunno why they changed the title to switchblade romance, high tension is a much better suited title.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Cement Garden and War Zone are both very good films. Roger Dodger, Consequences of Love and The Beat That My Heart Skipped are also excellent films.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
If you want a bit of a mad film, try Battle Royale. It's a Japanese language film, so if you are not into subtitles, it may put you off.

It's set in the near future where a the worst behaved class in the whole of the country is abducted and put on an Island, each of them given a weapon at random (some shite, some good) and have an explosive attached to them that will go off after so much time has passed.

The only way off the island is to be the last one standing before the time is up!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cinderella Man 8.6

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
One of the worst films I have ever seen 2.1. Zellshitters performance -29.7

Very strange behaviour.

In IMDB top 200 films ever made. Why do you think it is shit , a found the story interesting , uplifting and the boxing scenes superb. The acting all round was top drawer as well, from Crowe, Zellweger and particularly Giamatti.

Cinderella Man (2005)
Directed by
Ron Howard

Genre: Biography / Drama / Sport (more)

Tagline: One man's extraordinary fight to save the family he loved. (more)

Plot Outline: The story of James Braddock, a supposedly washed up boxer who came back to become a champion and an inspiration in the 1930s. (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: Old story well told! (more)

User Rating: 8.1/10 (18,986 votes) top 250: #175

Cast overview, first billed only:
Russell Crowe .... Jim Braddock
Renée Zellweger .... Mae Braddock
Paul Giamatti .... Joe Gould
Craig Bierko .... Max Baer
Paddy Considine .... Mike Wilson
Bruce McGill .... Jimmy Johnston
David Huband .... Ford Bond
Connor Price .... Jay Braddock
Ariel Waller .... Rosemarie Braddock
Patrick Louis .... Howard Braddock
Rosemarie DeWitt .... Sara Wilson
Linda Kash .... Lucille Gould
Nicholas Campbell .... Sporty Lewis
Gene Pyrz .... Jake
Chuck Shamata .... Father Rorick
(more)

Trivia: Crowe suffered from several concussions and cracked teeth. (more)

Quotes: Mae Braddock: Every time you get hit, feels like I'm getting' hit too. (more)

Awards: Nominated for 3 Oscars. Another 10 wins & 18 nominations (more)

CINDERELLA MAN

User Comments:

Old story well told!, 25 May 2005

Author: cquinn-1 from Kent, Ohio

Geez, another boxing movie! Yeah, Yeah, I know the story. Down and out guy gets a break and makes the most of it. He's fighting for his family, he's fighting for all those other hopeless people. Been there, done that.

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing. This movie is about the best 140 minute I've spent in a movie theater since . . . . since . . . ., Oh, well, you get the picture. Better yet, instead of getting the picture, go see it.

Russell Crowe owns the character of James Braddock, the unlikely hero who makes the most of his second chance. He's a good fighter turned hack. Injury, bad luck and this thing called the Depression sends him down the drain.

His wife, Mae, played by Renee Zelleweger, wants to be his biggest fan, but the kids need a dad, the rent has to get paid and the money from boxing dried up along time ago. Her husband's courage is undoubted, but his nerve is killing her.

And then there's Joe Gould, played by Paul Giamatti.

A boxer by the name of George Cochan once told me his manager was the bravest man he ever knew, he was willing to pit his man (Cochan) against anyone. As a result, Cochan had his head handed to him multiple times by the likes of Jake LaMotta and other class middle weights of the Forties and Fifties. Gould, is that brave manager, if not literally, in spirit. He pits Braddock, out of shape and with one day notice, against the number two heavy weight contender. Regardless of the risk, it's a pay day needed by both Gould and Braddock.

The story, while familiar, is executed brilliantly. The camera work is both subtle and, in turn, spectacular. Craig Bierko, Paddy Considine, Bruce McGill and the rest of the cast give flawless performances.

Yes, been there, done that! And I'm ready to do it again for anyone who wants to go with me.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
My Review Unc.

Cinderella Man

For those who were not aware, Ron Howard, Cinderella Man’s director, played Ritchie Cunningham in 70’s sitcom Happy Days. In the same way that Ritchie never grew up, neither has Howard, churning out expertly executed mainstream mediocrity, usually about one man’s battle against insurmountable forces.

Cinderella Man, his latest since the decent but unashamedly Oscar baiting Beautiful Mind, is somewhat like an episode of Happy Days, its wholesome characters struggle to live the American dream. The only difference being Happy Days’ laughs were intentional.

The characters are clichéd and the script clunky; with a trite sentimentality and homely philosophy that is spoon feed to the audience. It’s amazing that any of the actors come out of this with any credit, yet somehow Crowe and Giamatti do. Whilst much maligned in the press Crowe is an excellent, technically gifted actor who brings charisma and subtlety to the one-dimensional role of Jim Braddock, the boxer given one last chance in the ring. Giamatti has a good rapport with his leading man, brightening up scenes with his hangdog features and smart quips.

However the same cannot be said of Renee Zellweger, typically bad (how did she ever win an Oscar?) she outdoes herself here. She doesn’t hit the tone of any of her scenes giving perhaps the worst performance ever seen in a film of this scale, with facial expressions that range from happy pout to sad pout.

Still, despite its apple pie message, the fight scenes have a visceral quality and the fact that it is based on real events adds validity to what is an amazing story. If only this tale of hope and courage against decadence and greed hadn’t slammed it message home so loudly in an attempt to catch ‘Oscar’s’ attention, it might have made a decent movie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here