Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reassurance needed! Time for a fans' forum?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Reassurance needed! Time for a fans' forum?

London Irish said:
Yep, they are always a good idea. They are always additionally amusing as the anti-Magoo loudmouths hardly ever turn up and put their criticisms direct to McGhee's face.

Didn't somebody mildly question McGhee re: McCammon at the last one, and the manager went a bit ballistic? The bloke doesn't take kindly to any kind of criticism & he'd either be frogmarching punters out of the hall or cutting the proceedings shorter than one of Sir Alex's press conferences. Just won't do.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
TLO

Do you honestly believe that the 5 you list would get asked as I am afraid I dont I think that it would be dominated by the questions on Transfers and LK/MM falling out with LDC thrown in.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Re: Reassurance needed! Time for a fans' forum?

Tom Hark said:
Didn't somebody mildly question McGhee re: McCammon at the last one, and the manager went a bit ballistic? The bloke doesn't take kindly to any kind of criticism & he'd either be frogmarching punters out of the hall or cutting the proceedings shorter than one of Sir Alex's press conferences. Just won't do.

I wouldn't say the person midly questioned McGhee. The question was loaded and McGhee said he thought it was. Fair comment.
He didn't go ballistic but said that every player should be appreciated for their contribution as the point that McCammon gained by scoring in the match was 'maybe' the point that kept us up last season. Slightly different slant than you have put on it Tom. :p

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
attila said:
It's been years since we've had to seriously worry about what's happening ON the pitch - this is obviously a testimony to some great managers and players and to the board. (It's also just as well, given the never ending battles we've had to fight OFF it!) Most Albion fans (not all) accept the financial restrictions and realise that for the Albion to come through in the long term we have to battle against the odds in the short term - all the recent managers, McGhee included, have done wonders in this regard. The unity and team spirit has been awesome (Charlie's part in this is enough reason in itself for him to continue his career at the Albion in my view).

BUT....I think we are right to be rather worried now. No over-reaction and no taking sides (to be honest I don't think either MM or Leon comes out too well from this) but many people have questions, not least myself. I spoke briefly to Dick Knight today (he was very busy 'trying to sign players'....that's a good sign!!) and will do so again soon.

Time for a fans' forum?

What do you think?

Great idea! Perhapse he can tell us what he is doing to attract new Directors/investors - we need them!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
portlock seagull said:
True, but I hope we get knocked out 1-0 by Coventry in the Cup. An away day to Chelsea and a record-breaking drubbing in the 4th road might beckon otherwise!! :lolol:

whatcha talking about...Town are going to pull off the biggest shock of modern day footy on saturday by winning at Chelski

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
We should be having 2 or 3 a season, regardless of what happens. The board promised to be open with us.

I'd love to ask McGhee why he refuses to play our best players in their correct positions, why he takes risks on players like Turienzo and Molango while admitting we have scarce resources, etc. But to be honest i'd expect stubbornness and excuses in response.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It might be worth asking why he spent loads on Turienzo

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
TLO

Do you honestly believe that the 5 you list would get asked as I am afraid I dont I think that it would be dominated by the questions on Transfers and LK/MM falling out with LDC thrown in.
Your first question would probably be a 10-minute spoken answer from Martin Perry.

The other questions only need a one minute answer, with the exception of the Leon Knight saga. That could go one of two ways. Either McGhee will be the soul of discretion and specifically tell us that it is not a matter for public consumption, or, more likely, give as diplomatic answer as possible regarding him in relation to the whole squad. McGhee would much rather answer questionsa and talk about the positives within the squad than linger on any perceived negatives. It's just not helpful to do so.

I don't think the meeting would be bogged down with one subject, and it wouldn't reflect well on the club or the fans to go round and round on a subject, waiting for someone with an agenda asking the same question until they got to hear only what they wanted to hear.

Hopefully, by the time any meeting is arranged (and I don't think it should be until next month), all this nonsense would be cleared up, and we will be saluting the arrival our new creative genius midfield dynamo. *cough*

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Benny Zamora said:
We should be having 2 or 3 a season, regardless of what happens. The board promised to be open with us.

I'd love to ask McGhee why he refuses to play our best players in their correct positions, why he takes risks on players like Turienzo and Molango while admitting we have scarce resources, etc. But to be honest i'd expect stubbornness and excuses in response.
They are open. How many fan messageboards have an Ask The Club thread?

Sebastien Carole is a winger, CKR is a centre-forward, Paul McShane is a centre-half. I think you'll find McGhee plays them in those postions.

Turienzo was a risk, and at present, it doesn't appear to be working out - yet. But Molango, on his pittance of a salary, was never going to be seen as a 'risk'. As McGhee stated ad nauseum, he was 'one for the future'.

As for being stubborn, I can only assume you haven't been to a Fans's Forum before. He is very open, honest and direct. What he tells bloody Andrew Hawes in the immediate aftermath of a game, and what he tells his club's supporters face-to-face are entirely different.

What he will do is he give his opinion as to what he thinks his best tactics are. He knows the players a damn site better than us. If, after his opinion, you don't like what he said, ask him about it. The worst that will happen is that he tells you he disagrees.

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The Large One said:
They are open. How many fan messageboards have an Ask The Club thread?

Sebastien Carole is a winger, CKR is a centre-forward, Paul McShane is a centre-half. I think you'll find McGhee plays them in those postions.

Turienzo was a risk, and at present, it doesn't appear to be working out - yet. But Molango, on his pittance of a salary, was never going to be seen as a 'risk'. As McGhee stated ad nauseum, he was 'one for the future'.

As for being stubborn, I can only assume you haven't been to a Fans's Forum before. He is very open, honest and direct. What he tells bloody Andrew Hawes in the immediate aftermath of a game, and what he tells his club's supporters face-to-face are entirely different.

What he will do is he give his opinion as to what he thinks his best tactics are. He knows the players a damn site better than us. If, after his opinion, you don't like what he said, ask him about it. The worst that will happen is that he tells you he disagrees.

If you don't think McGhee plays important players out of position on a regular basis you're in a minority.

If you don't think he has made some strange signings considering how often he cites our 'lack of resources' then you're in a minority.

Nowt wrong wi that, but i'm just saying there are plenty of people who'd like to ask him questions.

Although i'm not sure if i've been to all of McGhee's ones, i've been to most forums since about 1990 and went to the most recent one with McGhee. His response to the (in my opinion reasonable) question about McGashmon was, i thought, quite childish. Some of the stuff he's been saying in the press recently has also pissed me off - particularly, as Attila mentioned, 'writing off' the Southampton game when loads of fans had paid 30 odd quid a ticket.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Reassurance needed! Time for a fans' forum?

Yorkie said:
I wouldn't say the person midly questioned McGhee. The question was loaded and McGhee said he thought it was. Fair comment.
He didn't go ballistic but said that every player should be appreciated for their contribution as the point that McCammon gained by scoring in the match was 'maybe' the point that kept us up last season. Slightly different slant than you have put on it Tom. :p

The question was put in a reasonable manner, McGhee was the one that went back to it and was getting a tad irrate with the questioner.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes... Fans Forum in Feb would be a great idea...

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Pretty obvious that the board and MM are fully occupied at the moment and it seesm to me that we should see what happens in the next few weeks with a view to trying to sort something for Feb - if events haven't answered many of the questions. Sadly, it seems to me that Leon's track record is that of someone who needs a change of club every so often to keep him functioning at peak potential and keep his head right. This is a real shame because on his day he can be brilliant and has given us wonderful moments to remember. McGhee has done very well, and has 100% support from me, but the dressing room bust ups are worrying and £150, 000 of our tiny budget for Turienzo seems utterly weird...unless there is more to it than meets the eye interms of the Argentine connection - in which case it's still weird, but in a different way....
Enough speculation. Let's see how things pan out.

Give 'em a cheer for me on Saturday - I'm playing in Belfast (which answers the weird comment from Nobody's Dupe) but don't worry, the Supertramp ban is in place!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Benny Zamora said:
If you don't think McGhee plays important players out of position on a regular basis you're in a minority.

If you don't think he has made some strange signings considering how often he cites our 'lack of resources' then you're in a minority.

Er...we've had several polls on NSC in the last few weeks and each time there's an overwhelming vote of confidence in McGhee. I think it's you who's in the minority on this one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Benny Zamora said:

Nowt wrong wi that, but i'm just saying there are plenty of people who'd like to ask him questions.
I didn't say he doesn't play players out of position, I was merely responding literally to your point about 'best' players out of position. If you're talking about Hart at right-back, then fair enough. He did OK, but he is best kicking the shit out of oppostion defenders. If you're talking about Knight on the wing, or Reid at left-back, on the other hand, I think they are acceptable plans. Players are professional enough to be adaptable to suit a given situation. I don't recall players moaning about playing away from what others consider their 'best' position to be.

Most of us found it weird when Adam Virgo was made centre-forward...

I don't think he has made 'strange' signings, (they were never considered strange at the time) although he has definitely made signings which haven't worked out. But then every manager in history has, and he will admit when things do not go to plan. Can anyone name a manager who has never signed a duff player? And I don't think his record on that score is any better or worse than most other managers.

However, asking him a question on how he chooses who he's after may well be in order.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Benny Zamora said:
I'd love to ask McGhee why he refuses to play our best players in their correct positions, why he takes risks on players like Turienzo and Molango while admitting we have scarce resources, etc.

I for one would pay good money to see you ask McGhee that :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here