Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reassurance needed! Time for a fans' forum?

attila said:
It's been years since we've had to seriously worry about what's happening ON the pitch - this is obviously a testimony to some great managers and players and to the board. (It's also just as well, given the never ending battles we've had to fight OFF it!) Most Albion fans (not all) accept the financial restrictions and realise that for the Albion to come through in the long term we have to battle against the odds in the short term - all the recent managers, McGhee included, have done wonders in this regard. The unity and team spirit has been awesome (Charlie's part in this is enough reason in itself for him to continue his career at the Albion in my view).

BUT....I think we are right to be rather worried now. No over-reaction and no taking sides (to be honest I don't think either MM or Leon comes out too well from this) but many people have questions, not least myself. I spoke briefly to Dick Knight today (he was very busy 'trying to sign players'....that's a good sign!!) and will do so again soon.

Time for a fans' forum?

What do you think?

Yep, they are always a good idea. They are always additionally amusing as the anti-Magoo loudmouths hardly ever turn up and put their criticisms direct to McGhee's face.

I would get the January window out of the way first though because every waking hour of our management team must be spent on that.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Don't think a forum will achieve anything other than being a P.R exercise. And what's the reason for it? We're the bookies fav to go down, always have been and they don't often get it wrong, so McGuee's actually on target in that respect. Besides, it's well documented as being football's least enviable job, what's McGuee so guilty of? Falling out with Leon Knight isn't a crime, he's tested the patience of many other managers and wasn't brought into the club by McGuee either. The Kuipers situation is more worrying but again it's the manager's decision and the worst thing I think any manager could do is have to respond to a fickle fans website which still represents a minority of Albion supporters albeit a passionate one - let's face it the hero to zero scenario happens every week on here, daily even for some. And let's not forget that a side from McGuee achieving promotion and the best finish this club's had since 1991 he's also the only one who's wanted to stay.

We're just all suffering from 10years of near bankruptcy and the consequent lack of investment. With Falmer so close, many people are impatient for the next leap forward in terms of success. But the truth is money talks, we haven't got any and even with a large cash-injection it's still going to take years to rebuild our club (image, fan's etc).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They do tend to be a 'little stage managed' but I suppose there is very little else that can be done as there are thin gs the board and manager can talk about and things that they can't.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Of course, if we had a forum all the judicial review/Falmer related questions would get asked! But although Falmer is obviously the most important issue, most people don't subscribe to the 'nothing else matters' line - I know I certainly don't, I'm a football fan and I want my team to try and win every game. Talk of 'writing matches off' isn't realism, it's defeatism...and unity in the dressing room is an absolute prerequisite for success on the field, especially when you're battling against the odds as we are......

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
attila said:
I know I certainly don't, I'm a football fan and I want my team to try and win every game. Talk of 'writing matches off' isn't realism, it's defeatism...and unity in the dressing room is an absolute prerequisite for success on the field, especially when you're battling against the odds as we are......

Thats why any rotten apples must be got rid of!!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
attila said:
Talk of 'writing matches off' isn't realism, it's defeatism...and unity in the dressing room is an absolute prerequisite for success on the field, especially when you're battling against the odds as we are......

True, but I hope we get knocked out 1-0 by Coventry in the Cup. An away day to Chelsea and a record-breaking drubbing in the 4th road might beckon otherwise!! :lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
attila said:
Of course, if we had a forum all the judicial review/Falmer related questions would get asked! But although Falmer is obviously the most important issue, most people don't subscribe to the 'nothing else matters' line - I know I certainly don't, I'm a football fan and I want my team to try and win every game. Talk of 'writing matches off' isn't realism, it's defeatism...and unity in the dressing room is an absolute prerequisite for success on the field, especially when you're battling against the odds as we are......

yes but until we understand where we are with the jucidial review we cannot ask the questions that will arise. Therefore by your words we have a Fans Forum now and then you'll all be crying out for another one in two months time regarding answers regarding Falmer etc Falmer questions now will be pointless until the club knows where they stand with regards to LDC and their purpose. Best to wait IMO

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Large One said:
We should be having two or three a year irrespective of any perceived problems.

Agreed there should be three during the season, dates announced at the beginning of the season. My questions would all be to DK, question 1 being wheres the money to buy a decent striker going to come from? Because without one we're going down.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Fans Forum sounds great. As long as I don't have to get on the coach with MM to get there.:down:

Can you see the club opening up at the moment - it's obviously not going well, the manager is having problems with some of the players, it would turn into a reality version of NSC.

We could bring an indoor heated swimming pool - as Michael Barrymore was heard to say "it's to die for".....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
HampshireSeagulls said:

Can you see the club opening up at the moment - it's obviously not going well, the manager is having problems with some of the players, it would turn into a reality version of NSC.

Well, the manager's having problems with one player - how has that been escalated into ''some' ?

Still, an FF would be great - if only to see the McGhee baiters tell him to his face that he should leave.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
HampshireSeagulls said:
Fans Forum sounds great. As long as I don't have to get on the coach with MM to get there.:down:

No it wouldn't because people don't ask the questions or make statements in public that they do on Nsc.

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth
You'd be surprised how few fans do turn up. (before anyone takes a swipe at me, I have only been to two myself)

---

Only two! I bet your a season ticket holder too!
wcnige

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
plymouth nige said:
You'd be surprised how few fans do turn up. (before anyone takes a swipe at me, I have only been to two myself)

---

Only two! I bet your a season ticket holder too!
wcnige

:wave:

HampshireSeagulls said:

Can you see the club opening up at the moment - it's obviously not going well, the manager is having problems with some of the players, it would turn into a reality version of NSC....

No it wouldn't, because they moaners wouldn't have the guts to front up to McGhee.

(edit - posted that before seeing Yorkie's similar reply :) )

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
portlock seagull said:
Don't think a forum will achieve anything other than being a P.R exercise.

My initial thought was, 'what would it achieve?' too. However, you answered that for me. A P.R. exercise could be good. If the club play it right, it could calm the waters a bit and get everyone back on side. We need, imo, everyone united right now. I can't see us staying up if the fans are bitching at the manager/players, the players are bitching at the staff etc. NSC provides a platform for everything to be blown out of proportion - would there be such a divide in opinion in the pre-internet days (I'm a bit too young for the days when fanzines presented fans opinion) in these circumstances? A concern is, everytime there's an NSC Bandwagon, you'd have to have a fans forum.. Which is madness given the nature of the forum, however I'd agree with the person who said we should be having regular forums anyway, that way they would be in place regardless of current NSC opinion. I'd wait on this till the end of Jan anyway, lets see who we bring in and lets see how results go in the next 3 league games. Opinion, by then, may have drastically changed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I suppose on reflection, with the transfer window open, and the Judicial Review looming (not sure how much of Martin Perry's time is being taken up on this), DK and MP are up against it, and any questions to the club would probably be answered with 'we are hoping for...' or 'we believe we can get...' etc.

Is it worth trying to arrange one for early February? We should at least have some answers as to what Lewes DC are up to.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that very little would be achieved by holding one now.

As has been suggested there were 3 per season the dates prebooked obviously there would be one about now and it doesnt take a genius to work out 5 questions that would be asked.

1. What is the latest on Falmer and LDC.
2. What is the truth about LK and your fallout with him.
3. Is there money available for new players.
4. Do you expect to be able to sign any new players soon.
5. What is the news on the injury front.

An answer to these or any similar questions could be given in a press interview if The Argus asked the same questions so we as fans would be no better off if we had a forum to ask the same questions. Most of the answers given would be vague because they wouldnt want to and we couldnt expect them to be specific on any of those points.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
portlock seagull said:
Don't think a forum will achieve anything other than being a P.R exercise. And what's the reason for it? We're the bookies fav to go down, always have been and they don't often get it wrong, so McGuee's actually on target in that respect. Besides, it's well documented as being football's least enviable job, what's McGuee so guilty of? Falling out with Leon Knight isn't a crime, he's tested the patience of many other managers and wasn't brought into the club by McGuee either. The Kuipers situation is more worrying but again it's the manager's decision and the worst thing I think any manager could do is have to respond to a fickle fans website which still represents a minority of Albion supporters albeit a passionate one - let's face it the hero to zero scenario happens every week on here, daily even for some. And let's not forget that a side from McGuee achieving promotion and the best finish this club's had since 1991 he's also the only one who's wanted to stay.

We're just all suffering from 10years of near bankruptcy and the consequent lack of investment. With Falmer so close, many people are impatient for the next leap forward in terms of success. But the truth is money talks, we haven't got any and even with a large cash-injection it's still going to take years to rebuild our club (image, fan's etc).

Disagree with it being a PR exercise per se Portlock, but am with you on the rest. The word 'fickle' is an understatement when describing a hefty number of our fans atm.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
I think that very little would be achieved by holding one now.

As has been suggested there were 3 per season the dates prebooked obviously there would be one about now and it doesnt take a genius to work out 5 questions that would be asked.

1. What is the latest on Falmer and LDC.
2. What is the truth about LK and your fallout with him.
3. Is there money available for new players.
4. Do you expect to be able to sign any new players soon.
5. What is the news on the injury front.

An answer to these or any similar questions could be given in a press interview if The Argus asked the same questions so we as fans would be no better off if we had a forum to ask the same questions. Most of the answers given would be vague because they wouldnt want to and we couldnt expect them to be specific on any of those points.
6. Any news on the Season Ticket prices front?
7. Have you thought about XYZ as a fund-raising idea?
8. Any news on the new home kit for next season yet?
9. Are you extending the Kids for a Quid programme?
10. Can we buy front row tickets for Norman Baker v John Prescott Super-Heavyweight Headbutting title fight?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here