Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reasons for not going to Scumhurst

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Simster said:
You're having a laugh. I'm not poor by any stretch of the imagination but I've just taken on a hefty mortgage (which might prove to be a mistake) and I have two kids and one income. Consequently I've started expecting VALUE from my disposable income. For examply, it costs £52 for my WHOLE family to get into Chessington ALL DAY (although the kids are under 4). So £30 to be herded around like animals (and with a fair number of utter chavs), to watch a football match with no guarantee of a decent performance is a bit STEEP in my opinion.

Five years ago, I wouldn't have said that - but my priorities have changed.

Know how you feel about the mortgage mate, have just done similar, and girlfriend is pregnant but Im sure Ill always find the £30 to watch the greatest fixture to me personally we can ever win.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simster is right. Whatever way you slice it, £30 is a COMPLETE rip-off to go to a dump like Selhurst and be treated like a PoW. I could afford it if I really wanted to go, but I know it'll be a totally shit night, that would only be partly alleviated if we win.

Nope, I'll go down the pub with a few mates, keep an earpiece to the commentary, and celebrate/commiserate accordingly. Those who are going - ENJOY (but I don't envy you).

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am not going to this one. The reasons:

for my son and myself that is the best part of £50 before we have stepped through the door

it is an evening game - and being herded around Thornton Heath at ten in the evening is no idea of fun

Tuesday night is training night - I manage my sons team so I have commitments that evening

for a choice of matches - I had planned to go to Wednesday on the Saturday and would have enjoyed it far more

Having said that - if it was Spurs away ...........

I'm not going cos I will be on a flight from Glasgow. I tried to get an earlier one but no joy. Very very gutted.
I've posted the cheque for the home match so if one of you lucky monkeys who's going to Selhurst wants to let the ticket office know so I can have your home ticket then we're all square.
:wave:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Young Simster makes a very valid point. I am going to palace BTW

Priorities do change in life and football does not become as appealing the older you get ( cue Yorkie having an apoplectic fit)

Up until last year, Laura and I used to go together, but she has moved on, so to speak and I have no-one really to go with to away games, therefore I look at games and think..." I can't really be arsed.."

A few years ago, I hardly missed a game in a season, now I pick and chose which games I want to go to.

Palace is expensive but I am going with Papa Laz, Smiley Miley, Rusco, etc etc so there is people to go with, Leeds was cheaper, but I would have gone on my own so It was a non starter

Harsh, but reality I am afraid

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Croydonbloke said:
Only for you.:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: You know you`re talking nonsense with that one BB. I`m on the look out for a good Palace performance at the moment and one is about to come very soon I hope.:drink:

I frequently talk nonsense it alleviates the stresses of my job. What is your excuse?

:D

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
Have you sold your allocation yet? (and how many exactly is your allocation?)

Im just trying to work out the seating plan. Surely the bunch of seats nearest the Holmesdale will be left free, it's very close to the home fans and easily withing coin throwing distance. And they must have a block free in the middle of the Arthur to seperate the home and away fans?

Here's my view of the away end from where i sit, this is against Man Utd last year and as you can see the home and away fans are very close!

(hope this works)

e64okk

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
Woody the Seagull said:
so in that picture are the man u fans the nearest ones and the ones behind the stewards palace? if so, how many man u fans were there?
I cant quite remember mate. Though i'm pretty sure they're Palace. United had about 3,800 i think. There certainly wasnt a gap between the two, and what with our history between the two with Cantona and them murdering one of our fans it could have kicked off big time. And alot of people were concerned about that. I didnt see any trouble though.

EDIT: Sorry may have misread your post. Yes United fans are the ones nearest us. Hence the 'CANTONA' Scarf being held aloft ;)

Last edited:

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
I think the first block will be left empty plus one a bit further along from the stewards I cant imagine them letting us that close to each other

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Re: Re: Re: Reasons for not going to Scumhurst

Simster said:
We were DEFINITELY a big club in the late '70s. Our crowds were HUGE at a time when football crowds were in drastic decline.
In the late 70s the Goldstone was a quiet ground contrary to some recent myth making.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
eagles #1 said:
Have you sold your allocation yet? (and how many exactly is your allocation?)

Im just trying to work out the seating plan. Surely the bunch of seats nearest the Holmesdale will be left free, it's very close to the home fans and easily withing coin throwing distance. And they must have a block free in the middle of the Arthur to seperate the home and away fans?

Here's my view of the away end from where i sit, this is against Man Utd last year and as you can see the home and away fans are very close!

(hope this works)

e64okk
Looking at the picture the seats between the pillar and the Oracge coated stewards will be empty and more than likely the row of seats the other side of the pillar to the stairway.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Croydonbloke said:
Looking at the picture the seats between the pillar and the Oracge coated stewards will be empty and more than likely the row of seats the other side of the pillar to the stairway.

Look at all them nasty people from London........and the Palace fans

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I see the cheerleader is realy enjoying herself

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
dave the gaffer said:
Look at all them nasty people from London........and the Palace fans

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I see the cheerleader is realy enjoying herself

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:lolol:

It was a f***ing cold day! Look at all the snow! Wish i built a snowman :(

;)

Last edited:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Simster said:
I've decided to go, but I'm sceptical of the way I'll be treated by plod.

To be honest, I was very close to not bothering - and if this experience goes the same way as the last, I really won't be going next time.

And £30 IS a lot of money to some people. To be honest, I can think of many better ways to spend it.

I'm not far from you Simster come with me and my mates we'll make sure you are ok! ;)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm not going because:

A - I'm scared!

B - £30 is too much for a championship game and I cant afford it

C - I dont even know when its on!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is a bloke in the middle of the Palace fans, with a mullett, tartan scarf and a palace shirt on

He has a lot going for him in his life:ohmy:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
1) I'm broke – my girlfriend's currently out of work so one salary is supporting both of us.

2) Being herded in totally the wrong direction (for me) for hours wasn't fun last time, and it'll be even worse if they try and do it again at 10pm on a weekday. Even if I escape the cordon it's going to be a long trip home, on my own.

3) Whisper it quietly, but I don't think our chances of a result are that good.

So am I going?

Hell yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here