Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistically, how long do you think it will take to get into the premiership?

???

• 5 years +

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • 10 years +

Votes: 57 38.0%
  • 15 years +

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Never.

Votes: 23 15.3%

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Once Falmer is ready, I see no reason why we should not do a Reading or a Hull, and get a season or two up there. If every element of the club can be run properly, from bringint in and retaining the right players, through the youth development programme, marketing and supporter relations, I think this is a perfectly achievable objective.

Think the Champions League may be beyond us, but who knows which clubs may just implode sometime.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Tough one because if Bloom splashes the cash success is not guaranteed but more likely. Think we need a good few years in the championship (5 +) before we can even think about becoming a yo-yo club in the premiership.

Will it even be around in 5-10 years time anyway?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
f***ing hell , 43% think we'll do it in 5 years, no wonder people get pissed off when we draw 1-1 with stockport.

I fully expect us to still be in this division at the start of the 2012/13 season.
I know. People go on about 'the moaning' on NSC, but they never acknowledge that it's counterbalanced by an equal amount of insane and often completely irrational optimism. Mind you it's probably the same people swinging wildly from one extreme to the other; the ones who say "The squad's better than last year!" or "We'll be in the prem in five years time!" will, as you say, be upset with a draw against Stockport: "Bloody hell why are we so shit?"

PS - Haven't voted in the poll as there are too many variables to even attempt a guess.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Here's a controversial view, and I'm probably gonna be flamed for it, but I'm genuinely not that bothered if we ever make it to the premiership at all.

Now obviously I'm not saying I don't want us to make it, and I'd love it if we ended up playing amongst the elite, but if we never did in my lifetime, I honestly wouldn't be be that bothered.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Here's a controversial view, and I'm probably gonna flamed for it, but I'm genuinely not that bothered if we ever make it to the premiership at all.

Now obviously I'm not saying I don't want us to make it, and I'd love it if we ended up playing amongst the elite, but if we never did in my lifetime, I honestly wouldn't be be that bothered.

That was my take it on it but my view has changed recently.I would like to see Bloom claw back some of his money he has pumped into the club INTEREST FREE.He deserves it for basicially giving us a stadium especailly in these difficult times.I doubt there we would have survived without him long term.

Dandyman

In London village.
Here's a controversial view, and I'm probably gonna be flamed for it, but I'm genuinely not that bothered if we ever make it to the premiership at all.

Tend to agree. I'm happy for us to be a decent Championship side with hopefully the chance of grabbing the odd Cup. We've only ever been at the top level between 1979 and 1983 and if we did get up again I suspect we would be a typical yo-yo club. The ride would be quite fun mind you.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
Tough call this, once we make the Championship ( which we will but think this will take a few more seasons) you are only one very good season away from the Premiership but realistically at the moment it seems so far away.

To do it would mean needing more investors and the club becoming a BHA PLC which I would hate.Falmer would have to be developed further as the capacity at 22,500 is not big enough for the turnover needed. Look what's happened financially to some of the clubs who made it but then got relegated fairly quickly.

I love the fact Mr Bloom is a fan and that his family has been connected with the club for years.:clap:

I would be happy with a strong Championship side who have a good cup run every once in a while

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Tough call this, once we make the Championship ( which we will but think this will take a few more seasons) you are only one very good season away from the Premiership but realistically at the moment it seems so far away.

To do it would mean needing more investors and the club becoming a BHA PLC which I would hate.Falmer would have to be developed further as the capacity at 22,500 is not big enough for the turnover needed. Look what's happened financially to some of the clubs who made it but then got relegated fairly quickly.

I love the fact Mr Bloom is a fan and that his family has been connected with the club for years.:clap:

I would be happy with a strong Championship side who have a good cup run every once in a while
People keep saying this over and over again but stadium capacity is not needed for prem success as 90% of the money comes from tv.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
People keep saying this over and over again but stadium capacity is not needed for prem success as 90% of the money comes from tv.

Wasn't aware of that fact, if true point taken.
Still doesn't change the fact that we would need serious investment to reach the Premiership and being realistic being able to cope with the cost of relegation, as how long could we stay there? Look at Charlton for example...

I am just keen to get out of League 1 and enjoy being a decent Championship side in a fantastic stadium :clap2:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Once Falmer is ready, I see no reason why we should not do a Reading or a Hull, and get a season or two up there. If every element of the club can be run properly, from bringint in and retaining the right players, through the youth development programme, marketing and supporter relations, I think this is a perfectly achievable objective.

Think the Champions League may be beyond us, but who knows which clubs may just implode sometime.

Can I have some of what you're on please.

Forget the Premier League, there are some pretty big clubs in the Championship, and whilst Falmer is essential for our survival it in no way guarantees success.

Personally I see getting into the Championship, and staying there as a realistic, achievable target, look at our History - we'vre only been in the top flight for 5 years out of over a hundred.

I do take your point about Hull and Reading - Reading had/have a man in charge who has a LOT more money than Bloom, and Hull have massively overspent, and if they go down this year will be in serious do do.

Will we ever get there - who knows - possible - but highly unlikely IMO , certainly within the next 10 years.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Firstly we have to become a club where players want to go be appreciated and at Withdean, we're not. Once we have Falmer, we start being that club.

Then we need fans to come week in week out so we have a good atmosphere; this then attracts more decent players.

Next we need to become a strong League 1 club, somewhere about which other fans say "we'll be lucky to get anything there" and "Brighton at home, that's a toughie".

After that we need to become contenders for automatic promotion, and live up to it.

Then we'll be in the championship and we'll be back to the start.

Underpinning all this is money, lots of money.

As others have said, I'll be happy for us to be a good Championship side and maybe in a lucky season making the playoffs.

I've not voted because, currently, I can't see it happening and a better question would be "When will we get into the Championship"

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Impossible question, just so many variables. I'd like to think within 10 years, if we can continue to get financial backing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here