Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic Transfer Targets

D

Deleted member 18477

Are people mentally ill talking about Michael Owen and Kolo Toure? I really do hope I'm just missing some incredibly well veiled sarcasm because that's f***ing idiotic. If we're stalling on Murray's demands we're hardly going to afford Michael f***ing Owen are we? And to think people reckon Southampton fans are deluded and arrogant.:facepalm:

don't forget we have adopted a lot of new fans who have (in some cases still) supported big glory teams like man u, chelsea, arsenal, spurs etc. they havn't quite got to grips with the fact that not ALL teams have their budgets.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
THis could be fixtures and I cant be bothered to read the whole thread but I heard that Bloom met Owen this week?

I have also heard though previously that Kevin Phillips was coming. :facepalm:

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Are people mentally ill talking about Michael Owen and Kolo Toure? I really do hope I'm just missing some incredibly well veiled sarcasm because that's f***ing idiotic. If we're stalling on Murray's demands we're hardly going to afford Michael f***ing Owen are we? And to think people reckon Southampton fans are deluded and arrogant.:facepalm:

burst out laughing at the opening accusation! more or less spot on in fairness.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
burst out laughing at the opening accusation! more or less spot on in fairness.

Well, y'know, it makes you doubt yourself! Is this some firmly tongue-in-cheek NSC tomfoolery? Or is it just purest brain-dead, fuckwitted, head-in-the-sky, certified fruitloop wanderings of the imagination? An educated guess at our wage cap for next year is perhaps £8k-£10k p/w? Maximum? So you can rule out just about every single Premiership player, unless like Bridcutt, they're a youngster who isn't making it, or like Wood, they're on loan. We're not going to sign Owen Hargreaves, or Niko Krankjar, or Yossi sodding Benayoun. We're just not. *defeated sigh*

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Well said, saved me the effort.

Steve Simondsen, Mark Yeates, and Ched Evans (not sure what his wages are) would all improve our squad, and are likely to be keen given the fact they are all but mathmatically down with Sheffield United.

Hoskins doesn't convince me, not for £1 million given his previous record at Championship level. Mackail-Smith would cost £2 million plus, again a fee i can't see us paying, and Kightley was on the verge of the England squad at times, but only lost out because of an injury this season, he won't come anywhere near us.

Picking a good striker, on affordable wages who is proven at that level will be the hardest job this summer.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Ben Williams Colchester keeper and Billy Sharp Doncaster striker.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tricky isn't it? We all tend to focus on front players. I really do think our biggest needs are for a ball-playing centre back to sit alongside Greer as a first choice pairing and I think we may have to look abroad.
At least one full-back as cover but also one who can deal with a cross from the opposite wing to their post would improve us as a team.
A defensive midfielder who can actually hold the ball under pressure and an attacking midfielder to do what Sparrow does in getting ahead of the ball only better (maybe Darren Carter from Preston). Add a winger (LuaLua) and one or two strikers (Hoskins has quick feet and a good shot but we desperately need someone who is good in the air) and we have a good squad as long as we hold the talent we have.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
My ex girlfriend went to school with Michael Owen, Gary Speed also attended same school. Anyway M.O is never really going to leave the North West, as stated he has a love of horses & owns Haarden Manor (Spelling maybe wrong) where he has his whole family wrapped around him. He is firmly rooted in the area & I can only see him going to Everton if he doesn't get a new contract at Man Utd which I doubt he will get.
There is absolutely NO chance of him gracing the South Coast, yes I know he went to Newcastle but I think they made allowances for him to commute & lets face it he really is above our status, no matter how much potential WE think we have. I doubt very much he shares in our optimism to the extent he would even contemplate it.

Lets have a reality check before we start throwing names around eh.

Now with a little luck there may be a chance of picking up some fringe players from one or two of the Premiership teams who's respective managers would entrust Gus to bring them on & help gain vital 1st team experience to assess their chances of making it at their parent club but besides these I very much doubt we'll see players from the Premiership.

We have a scouting network in place now which will have identified potential targets both home & abroad & I believe Gus will obviously be the key to anyone coming in as he has gained a great reputation as being a manager who can bring the best out of players. The stadium will play a part but it's Gus they'll be coming for.

I don't think anyone here will guess correctly as to who will actually be coming in, Hoskins has been mentioned & he'd have potential in Gus' eyes & is a realistic target. I can't wait to see who does come in because I think this is possibly the most exciting time in our history & we will bag a surprise but that surprise will not be Michael Owen.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
stoke seem to have a glutt of strikers at present .........walters , fuller , carew who i believe is on a free and kenny jones........just saying like . where is erik nevland playing these days...??? who is sturridges understudy at chelsea...?? all these questions and more , hopefully to be answered by mid - june..........one thing is for sure , we are in a better position to attract quality players right now than we have been for f***ing years....:albion1:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Picking a good striker, on affordable wages who is proven at that level will be the hardest job this summer.

You're right, and they are generally the most expensive acquisitions to the squad, if they score goals they'll cost money.

Which makes it harder for me to understand, why they don't show a bit of flexibility and retain our best striker by far, Muzza.

Pay him what he wants, or be creative with upper wage cap + goal bonus etc.

Financially it makes no sense....... If Muzza walks on a free age 27, then any replacement who can score goals at championship level will cost us a reasonable fee (+ many worthy strikers with interest from other clubs will chose them over us, for the same low 'wages' reasons as Muzza may leave).

It will be cheaper just to pay our proven goalscorer Muzza a bit more. Rather than pay a fee........ unless of course we get a another free transfer.

stoke seem to have a glutt of strikers at present .........walters , fuller , carew who i believe is on a free and kenny jones........just saying like . where is erik nevland playing these days...??? who is sturridges understudy at chelsea...?? all these questions and more , hopefully to be answered by mid - june..........one thing is for sure , we are in a better position to attract quality players right now than we have been for f***ing years....:albion1:

Sydney, they are great players you mention, but the primary factor for a player who is worth having will be money...... and as it seems our wages will be low, if they can get better money they will probably go elsewhere. Carew will be way to expensive. If they are shit or desperate with no other interest I am sure they would come. Players will be drawn by the salary package primarily, Agents (who get a commision) are not going to recommend Brighton over another club who pays 5 grand a week more. Stadium/Championship is great for us fans, primary for players is salary - If we pay peanuts we get monkeys (or kids/lower league players/unproven), we definately do not get John Carew.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think that Mark Yeates is a good shout and could add something to our midfield.
On the striker front Keogh and/or Vokes from Wolves.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We will get a season long loan young prem striker in my opinion. Then all we have to pay is wages.
Add this to Hoskins, Murray and Barnes and were sorted.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I'm sorry but bloom has gone on record as saying he wants a top 6 finish season. Unfortunately some of the players mentioned like Yeates and Vokes are not anywhere near the standard for this.

Whilst suggesting players like Toure and Owen is in my opinion frankly ridiculous, we should be looking at players who are with lower Premier league teams who are on the fringes of the first team.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm sorry but bloom has gone on record as saying he wants a top 6 finish season. Unfortunately some of the players mentioned like Yeates and Vokes are not anywhere near the standard for this.

Whilst suggesting players like Toure and Owen is in my opinion frankly ridiculous, we should be looking at players who are with lower Premier league teams who are on the fringes of the first team.

Exactly, to get a top six finish we will have to compete in the transfer market with teams like Leeds, Blackburn and Southampton. I think the Bloom Business Plan requires promotion to the Premier League. Need Four of a Kind (Royalty Players), not a pair of Knaves(Young Upstarts or Rejects).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here