Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Real idiots

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Former Conservative leader Michael Howard was at the game and he said: "I didn't think the match should have been held at the stadium.

"It's not a football stadium and is not equipped to cope with that number of people.

"Ticket checks were a joke. Many people with valid tickets were not allowed in.

"That is not acceptable and Uefa really need to look at their procedures and make sure everything is all in order.

"As far as I'm aware no-one was hurt, and that's a mercy, but it's no thanks to the Greek authorities, and I'm afraid there was a large measure of incompetence."

But Gaillard responded: "It is very easy to say it is not a suitable stadium, coming from the man that invented the poll tax.

Gaillard defended Uefa against any responsibility for the problems, adding: "The only responsibility we could have is that we did not choose a stadium with 250,000 seats, but unfortunately they do not exist."

Err Mr Gaillard if you actually provide decent number of tickets to fans then the problem would have been reduced somewhat.

Gazwag said:
Err Mr Gaillard if you actually provide decent number of tickets to fans then the problem would have been reduced somewhat.

There always have and always will be problems with a shortage of tickets due to corporate sponsorship etc. The fact is that Milan play in an 85,000 seat stadium and it would appear that 17,000 lucky fans with tickets went to the game and NOT another 20,000 without them. Surely this tells it's own story!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Re: Re: Re: Re: Real idiots

Arthur said:
Hypothetical question for you, Brighton are in the final of a major competition, tickets are at a premium and you haven't got one. You've been on the beer all day and a group of lads say they've found a way of getting in to the ground for nothing. What would you do??

If I had no ticket, I quite genuinely would not be there.

Dave the Gaffer said:
I wish the ENGLISH fans would get it into their tiny minds that if there are no tickets, do not go to the game.......the chances of getting a touts tickets are remote and getting in the same.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A

Arthur said:
Fair do's. However whether you agree or not it's been going on for years and will continue to go on for years to come. Anyone who has ever travelled abroad with any side would know this.

I know a manc who managed to walk into Wembley on Saturday 15 minutes after kick off.

Hypothetical question for you, Brighton are in the final of a major competition, tickets are at a premium and you haven't got one. You've been on the beer all day and a group of lads say they've found a way of getting in to the ground for nothing. What would you do??

I'm not the sure the final of the Paint Pot Trophy would have me clambering to get through the turnstiles! :lol:

Being beered up it's impossible to say what you'd do, but if I did as a result of being pissed, I wouldn't be proud of it in the morning. Call me a boring bastard, but storming grounds just creates shit for all concerned.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Dave the Gaffer said:
I wish the ENGLISH fans would get it into their tiny minds that if there are no tickets, do not go to the game.......the chances of getting a touts tickets are remote and getting in the same.
Luckily for those don't always get official tickets you are very wrong. I've got into loads of england games by turing up without a ticket and buying from touts or in the case of Slovakia, just walking in with a large crowd and jumping the turnstyle. In Northern Ireland my mates paid the turnstyle operator £20 each. Everyone knows there IS a chance, that's why people do it.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Re: Re: Real idiots

Arthur said:
Those who had genuine tickets and didn't get in well if the didn't know the score they certainly do now.

and you have the temerity to call someone else a twat?
:nono:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Even when Wembley held 100 k there were only 50 k given directly to the fans of the teams actually involved. I have never recalled fans storming gates though to get in. Eufa are tossers but Liverpool fans never mis- behave do they ?

Questions said:
Even when Wembley held 100 k there were only 50 k given directly to the fans of the teams actually involved. I have never recalled fans storming gates though to get in. Eufa are tossers but Liverpool fans never mis- behave do they ?

They did for the first cup final ever held at Wembley. 1923 I think it was. They had footage of it on BBC during the cup final build up. Tens of thousands stormed in and onto the pitch before the game. They wouldn't leave the stadium so ended up standing alongside the pitch during the game because the stands were full. Happy days.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Same old story for every major final, not enough tickets given to the two teams actually playing.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real idiots

Shizuoka Dolphin said:
I'm not the sure the final of the Paint Pot Trophy would have me clambering to get through the turnstiles! :lol:

I was thinking more along the lines of the Sussex Senior Cup Final and by turnstile I meant Mavis and Edna's cake stall. :lolol:

Originally posted by Shizuoka Dolphin Being beered up it's impossible to say what you'd do, but if I did as a result of being pissed, I wouldn't be proud of it in the morning. Call me a boring bastard, but storming grounds just creates shit for all concerned. [/B]

Which is exactly my point. Your average Joe fan would be beered up and would be go for it.

I'm sure there are a few mickeys that think what they got up to last night was a bit naughty and probably do feel slightly sorry for those who had genuine tickets and didn't get in.

Out of interest how many people who had 100% genuine tickets didn't get in? So far I've heard of one guy on TalkSport this morning.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real idiots

Arthur said:
Which is exactly my point. Your average Joe fan would be beered up and would be go for it.

But being beered up isn't an excuse for doing it, is it?

A minority of fans decided that they didn't care that they didn't have tickets, didn't care about the impact it would have on other people, and got into the game when they shouldn't have. While the organisation doesn't sound like it was up to much, it is fundamentally these 'fans' that caused most of the issues.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Richie Morris said:
I did write a story last year about a big scrap in Hastings following the FA Cup final.

No such luck last night. ;)

Where did that scrap happen...not Yate's again?

I take it you work at the Observer then Richie? If so I am just up the road from you on Castleham estate.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real idiots

Billy the Fish said:
Luckily for those don't always get official tickets you are very wrong. I've got into loads of england games by turing up without a ticket and buying from touts or in the case of Slovakia, just walking in with a large crowd and jumping the turnstyle. In Northern Ireland my mates paid the turnstyle operator £20 each. Everyone knows there IS a chance, that's why people do it.

But therein lies the problem.

This is not a snidy remark aimed at you per se, but if you"jumped" the barrier, then presumably if that stadium was full, then either

1) you would have caused a problem by standing/sitting in a spot that was reserved for someone who had bought a ticket legitimately

2) the very people who would have bought legitimate tickets would have been left outside and probably faced the problwems with police that liverpool and manu fans faced in the last couple of games.

3) if you had ended up in a "home area" then again if there was a police effort to remove you and you got hit with a stick or tear gassed, presumably you would have accepted that as fair game?

4) supporters who feel it necessary to break the law are the very ones that bleat on about Hillsborough and also how dreadful foreigh police are to us poor brits.

I am sorry to appear holier than thou, but apart from teh Mansfield game at the Goldstone I have never broken into a ground or travelled to an away game without a ticket where required

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real idiots

Dave the Gaffer said:
But therein lies the problem.

This is not a snidy remark aimed at you per se, but if you"jumped" the barrier, then presumably if that stadium was full, then either

1) you would have caused a problem by standing/sitting in a spot that was reserved for someone who had bought a ticket legitimately

2) the very people who would have bought legitimate tickets would have been left outside and probably faced the problwems with police that liverpool and manu fans faced in the last couple of games.

3) if you had ended up in a "home area" then again if there was a police effort to remove you and you got hit with a stick or tear gassed, presumably you would have accepted that as fair game?

4) supporters who feel it necessary to break the law are the very ones that bleat on about Hillsborough and also how dreadful foreigh police are to us poor brits.

I am sorry to appear holier than thou, but apart from teh Mansfield game at the Goldstone I have never broken into a ground or travelled to an away game without a ticket where required

Hail Prince of Hur.

So what did you do at the Mansfield game?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real idiots

sten_super said:
But being beered up isn't an excuse for doing it, is it?

I can't be arsed to argue any more.

Yes, it's a perfectly good excuse!

Well done Liverpool! :drink:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Re: Re: Real idiots

Arthur said:
f*** right off, you self righteous twat!!

Why travel without a ticket?? Errrmm to see the world, support your team, have a laugh with your mates!?! Need I go on??

I've followed England and Albion away and had no intention of going to the game on numerous occasions. It's football culture pal, something you and allot of the other nerds on here no f*** all about.

Fair play to the scoucers for travelling and even fairer play to those who managed to jib their way into the ground. Those who had genuine tickets and didn't get in well if the didn't know the score they certainly do now.

Thank you for your opinion of me. I'd be interested to know this football culture thing. I surpose being a sth for 33 years and going all over the country watching Brighton I know f*** all.

The fact remains if no one attempted to gain access without a ticket then there would not have been a problem end of. TWAT

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real idiots

Tribune Messala said:
Hail Prince of Hur.

So what did you do at the Mansfield game?

hail Messala

I along with many other albion fans ( I Think it was mansfield ??? ??? ??? ) broke in just before half time after boycotting the game and legged it over the east terrace and jumped into the West Stand and ended up sitting next to some lovelly old dear just in front of the directors box.

At the time I was so proud...now it just seemed a little silly

:down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here