Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Real feelings about Utd game

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
With all due respect to you being at the game the tactics were certainly wrong. Agree with you about being outmuscled in midfield but Stephens picked up such an early yellow he was scared of making another iffy tackle.
With the pace Utd had i would have played Bong at left back and made Montaya not cross the halfway line until much later on in the game and only at the right time. Mooy would have been a good option to throw in because he would have wanted to make amends for that red.
I would have made the game a bit scrappy to slow it down but i suppose this isn't Potters way. Something needs changing though because we cannot go to these sort of grounds the way we set up. We just end up getting destroyed as been proven already on two occasions.

Sorry, do you seriously think Bong would've been able to control James and Rashford at full pelt? You sound like BG.....

I'm not saying the tactics were right, but we lost because Utd were better. End of.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Sorry, do you seriously think Bong would've been able to control James and Rashford at full pelt? You sound like BG.....

I'm not saying the tactics were right, but we lost because Utd were better. End of.

Not sure you understand how exposed our fall backs are in big games. Bong is a natural left back who is reasonably intelligent when it comes to going forward at the right times.
At least he offers more protection then any other player we have in that position. It's damage limitation. They wouldn't have got behind so easily and that often.
For all his faults Bong does have his uses.
We would probably still have lost but we wouldn't have been taken apart as frequent on attacks.
Anyway it was a bad day at the office. One i expected though.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

This is the difficulty for the way we play. United will be good against teams who like to have possession of the ball - their strength is in the pace of the front three.. genuine, frightening pace who will thrive with space and quick ball. It is the balance of being true to "our" style of play, vs. the desire or need to get a result. We did have the lions share of possession, but just lack the quality that the very best teams have. United do not play well against teams who let them have the ball and demand to be broken down.. OGS said that he had found a "template" and our style suited them yesterday. Had we been able to keep them out until half-time, it would have been interesting to see how they game might have gone as they felt the pressure of needing to score, but sadly not to be. I fear for us vs. Liverpool, leicester and possibly Palace ( Zaha and Townsend) without any real strength at full back for 1v1 - Barnardo will make a difference but who knows when he will be back.. its a roller-coaster - I think we have to stick to the principles and accept that we will get beaten when we are not at our very best, but trust that we will win more games vs. those around us with this style.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Said on the match thread before kick off I was very surprised Mooy never started in midfield as per villa and spurs. Those games we dominated with him in there.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I thought it was a result ending the game with eleven men on the pitch!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Agree with this - I can't understand why, when available, Mooy isn't an automatic selection.

Andone got sent off and was shipped out immediately, Mooy got sent off and hasn't stepped foot on the pitch since. Now I obviously know nothing of this, but Swansea had the best disciplinary record in the championship last year, maybe Potter is particularly harsh on those who fall foul of ref's as a way to set example. Maybe.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I thought we had got rid of our inferiority complex since GP had taken over but I thought we were pressured very early today similar to Chelsea away and buckled somewhat. So I’m disappointed today in so much that I thought we had gone up a level but now maybe I, like a few others, had got ahead of ourselves.
What think you ?

NSC getting ahead of itself? NEVER!!!!!!!

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I'm not convinced by the posters (who spent last season screaming (for a policeman) about defensive tactics) demanding defensive tactics yesterday.

In the cold light of day we were very unlikely to win, irrespective of the formation.

So what's the point of admitting defeat before kick off?

At some point Mr Bloom wishes to have a team that competes at Old Trafford.
Taking the game too Utd may well have cost us yesterday, but little battles were won.
Players learned lessons, esp the yoof.

The team scored and had other (half) chances.
The Utd mystic took a little knock.

I guess I'm saying the team lost the battle but are able to take some positives forward through the war.
That's not happening after an 89 minute punch in the gut from Spurs, after 10 men behind the ball.
When you’re not being a sarky bugger you do talk a lot of sense (I quite like the sarky bugger too)

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Andone got sent off and was shipped out immediately, Mooy got sent off and hasn't stepped foot on the pitch since. Now I obviously know nothing of this, but Swansea had the best disciplinary record in the championship last year, maybe Potter is particularly harsh on those who fall foul of ref's as a way to set example. Maybe.

Seems a fair assumption currently. Especially as mooy was finding a decent groove too

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

half the team got booked yeaterday . . . . by Chrstmas it'll only be Ryan and AJ with a clean sheet.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Point taken - but Mooy's sending off was a bit harsh - so i would hate it if he got penalized for being a bit silly and at the mercy of another
card-happy, cretinous ref of which the PL seems to be awash.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The way CH setup was perfect for Manchester United and Liverpool and other teams who liked to press as we would just keep two banks of 4 and close the ball.

Ah, the old re-writing of history, eh?

I don't seem to remember our setup being "perfect for Man Utd" when they played down here. How did those games go. Actually, they were pretty lucky to beat us at their place in Year 1, as it was a rather unlucky deflection that settled the game, as I recall. We played absolutely superbly that day.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I thought we played well,but were let down by the officials.Perhaps they thought yellow clashed with red,so didn't book them.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Ah, the old re-writing of history, eh?

I don't seem to remember our setup being "perfect for Man Utd" when they played down here. How did those games go. Actually, they were pretty lucky to beat us at their place in Year 1, as it was a rather unlucky deflection that settled the game, as I recall. We played absolutely superbly that day.

My point was CH system was perfect (spot on) for those games was not meant to be a criticism!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Having been at the game, I can assure you we didn’t lose because of tactics. We lost because they had three lightning strikers our defence couldn’t cope with and because we were outmuscled in midfield.

We lost because the opposition were better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a Hughton master class on how to deal with speed merchants. It was ignored = tactical decision.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/tactics/hughton-dealing-quick-winger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_TAQBqKtJk

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ole had been reading the CH 4-2-3-1 manual. It irks to get defeated by our own game.

Dunk v Maguire 50/50 but Dunk more adventurous and attractive to watch.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: When CH signed I had trepidations about losing our passing game. Unfortunately, I think I was proved right.

Now I have trepidations about losing our deep defensive game.

Man City played 4-2-3-1 at Anfield and it did not work with the result.

PS: the trouble with attacking full backs, apart from the hole they leave when they advance is they cannot read the defensive game so well without the ball in front of them. Arguably contributory in the two scrappy goals conceded and the third one as well.

But prevented when Rashford was forced to run sideways across the face of the defence and put the right footed shot in (strong foot though).

Is Potter a chess player?

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In simple terms speedsters need space to run into. we allowed Rashford and James so much space, we played right into their hands. They also need service which they got because we lost the ball being too impatient after conceding two goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here