Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading - wheels falling off

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just a quick glance at the top of the table, and Reading appear to be in serious danger of missing out in the playoffs altogether. Shame. 5th place (but only on GD) with West Ham & Derby 3 points behind and a game in hand.

Anyone noticed what a miracle worker Micky Adams appears to be proving at Coventry. That's 5 straight defeats for them now. There really are some shite teams at the bottom. I reckon we'd probably stay up even if we only got two more wins all season.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's the massive weight of expectation that the Reading players have to put up with. When the passionate people of the football hotbed of Berkshire gather in the seething cauldron of noise and emotion that is the Madjeski Stadium on a match day it just becomes too much. Then going to a relatively quiet ground in a football backwater such as Leeds (that part is true BTW) they try too hard and come unstuck.

There's pressure and then there's being a Reading player.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a good job Adams got Leicester promoted in his first full season as Leicester manager (even if his team was crammed full of Premiership players at the time) because his CV looks otherwise very unimpressive since he walked out on us...

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
That second goal that Burnley scored against Coventry was pure comedy gold. The ball managed to roll at a pace of around a yard a minute through three Coventry players. It's a pity we have to wait until April to play them.

This season is turning out like 88/89. We were pretty crap during that season (I think we lost 10 in a row at the start) but we stayed up because Shrewsbury, Birmingham and Walsall were so amazingly shit and inhabited the bottom 3 for the entire season.

As for Reading, their away form is awful and they have been out of sorts for a while now. Can any of our resident Reading fans explain? I think we could well get one of the four wins we need against those intimidating Royals.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
four wins we need
I know that's what McGhee thinks, but in all honesty, do you? We've taken 2 points from 4 games and we're still 8 points clear of Gillingham, Coventry are rubbish and already well below us, Plymouth are also gash and their new signings haven't exactly transformed them - 1-1 against Rotherham at home is another crap result.

I think two wins and 3 or 4 draws might well do the job.

A bit early to say, for us, for reading, and for Coventry and Plymouth, imo.

BHA will definitely stay up, because the team and club have the character and resolve required. We have an entertaining and good footballing side with a core of excellent players, and we'll get wins and draws even though we'll have to accept a loss or two.

The defence/midfield will have to work a little harder though, losing FDM was always going to be a setback. Familiarity might breed a little contempt for our supporters, but it's plain to me that he's one of the league's best keepers.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Where's RoyalAli when you need him to come on here and make endless excuses and explain exactly why Reading are going through a bad patch currently?

I hope those ***** never make the Premiership.

Albion Rob

IMHO, Madejski should be concentrating on running his football club (and others such as Cambridge into the ground) rather than shagghing scouse grannies.

Just my opinion, like.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
As long as their poor form doesn't let the kings of the chip on the shoulder West Ham in I'm happy.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I'd like to get to 50 points just to make sure of safety. Rotherham are gone, they're as doomed as Stockport and Mike Pollitt is the sole reason why they even have a double figure points tally. Stan Ternant says that Gillingham have to win 7 games out of 14 to have a chance of staying up, that's nearly as many games as they've won all season. No chance. Plus we did the double over them, meaning they have to win 2 more games than us.

I can see Forest taking it to the last game of the season (vs Gillingham!) because that's what "big" clubs in trouble tend to do. Manchester City did it in 1998 and they were shit all season. Somebody will come good in the run-in and we just have to scrape enough points to make sure we get above 46.

Our defence is getting shaky at a bad time, which is why i'd like to see us sign Shabaan. A bit of experience is needed in a relegation scrap and though Yelldell did well at Leeds, I just think he looks very nervous at times and this can affect the defenders.

Albion Rob

A bit of sturdy resolve should see us beat Millwall and stoke, which would mean six points from the next nine even assuming we lose to Sunderland.

44 points with 10 games to play, that should make us very hard to topple.

Ex Shelton Seagull said:

This season is turning out like 88/89. We were pretty crap during that season (I think we lost 10 in a row at the start) but we stayed up because Shrewsbury, Birmingham and Walsall were so amazingly shit and inhabited the bottom 3 for the entire season.

Hope it is like that season. I remember seeing us beat Sunderland 3-0 at the Goldstone to surprise a few. Could do with another one of those.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We are on target to stay up, but we have got a very difficult fixture list.

West Ham at home looks the easiest game, perhaps Reading at home.

Rotherham may be down before we go to Millmoor.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
perseus said:

Rotherham may be down before we go to Millmoor.

Grimsby were down before we went there two years ago as well. We walked that one didn't we ???

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
We're not looking good for automatic promotion much now (9 points now), but are still in the playoffs. A home win next week and maybe the immenent signing/swap deal for Zamora and we may well be still up there.

Don't you worry about us, we'll be just fine :wave:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Wilts said:
We're not looking good for automatic promotion much now (9 points now), but are still in the playoffs. A home win next week and maybe the immenent signing/swap deal for Zamora and we may well be still up there.

Don't you worry about us, we'll be just fine :wave:

Looks like z-man is on his way Z-MAN

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
jevs said:
Looks like z-man is on his way Z-MAN

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

It's not big and it's not clever spreading rumours on HobKnobsEveryone:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here