Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading to extend Mad Stad

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/5366880.stm

Reading are apparently looking to expand their stadium to accomodate at least another 10,000 johnny-come-latelys (you know, the "where were you when you were SHIT" brigade), and try to make the place even more intimidating. Its bad enough already trying to get away from that place after a match - can you imagine the HORROR of the post-match scramble with another 10,000 to cope with ? It'll be gridlock CENTRAL. No-one will get home till Monday. Surely they'll have to expand the infrastructure around the ground to cope with this ?

Bet they get permission anyway, no probs.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I couldn't drive past the place the other day - even the sign to it from the motorway was so, y'know...what's the word....can't even say it...

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
You can't blame them. 'Johnny come latelys' are very annoying but what do Reading do? Tell them to go away and come back when you've supported us for 10 years? To the accountants everyones money is worth the same.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
will make leaving even more fun!

The Timekeeper

FAT BOY 'NOT' SLIM
Sep 25, 2003
At home, the pub,the bookies
Why are they extending something they struggle to fill? When they go down they will have 50% of the ground empty most weeks. Waste of money, and will cause traffic chaos - Wankers.

Last edited:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
The Timekeeper said:
Why are they extending something they struggle to fill? When they go down they will have 50% of the ground empty most weeks. Waste of money, and will cause traffic chaos - Wankers.

How will it cause traffic chaos if, as you say, its going to be empty.

They won't go down if they get more seats, more money, better players. I hate the Madjeski, plastic and souless and I hope Falmer is nothing like it but we need to stop being quite so jealous!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
The Timekeeper said:

Why are Brighton looking to build a new 23,000-capacity ground when they can't even fill the Withdean Stadium? If they stay where they are they will have more than 50% of the ground empty most weeks. Waste of money, and will cause traffic chaos. Wankers.

The Timekeeper

FAT BOY 'NOT' SLIM
Sep 25, 2003
At home, the pub,the bookies
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Why are Brighton looking to build a new 23,000-capacity ground when they can't even fill the Withdean Stadium? If they stay where they are they will have more than 50% of the ground empty most weeks. Waste of money, and will cause traffic chaos. Wankers.

Reading Fan now are you?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Reading have arguably reached the peak of their game. I can't imagine they will be anything more than a Charltonb of the premiership. The Madjeski can hold alternative events already.

We are yet to fulfil our potential and withdean is hardly the setting of a conference, concert or an event of national interest, is it!??

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
The Timekeeper said:
Reading Fan now are you?

Obviously not. I just find the anti-Reading rubbish on here laughable.

Albion intend to build a new 23,000 all-seater stadium, and we all hope and pray it gets the go-ahead. But who is going to fill it when it's built? When was the last time Brighton had 23,000 for a home game?

If and when the stadium gets built and the Albion start getting decent crowds, will you still be whinging about 'johnny-come-latelys'? Will you talk of your own fans in the same terms that you now talk about Reading's?

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
BarrelofFun said:
Reading have arguably reached the peak of their game.

I bet you were saying exactly the same a couple of years ago.

Reading's Premiership crowds so far have been very, very close to their capacity. Who's to say they won't get bigger still in time if the club continues to make progress?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Albion intend to build a new 23,000 all-seater stadium, and we all hope and pray it gets the go-ahead. But who is going to fill it when it's built? When was the last time Brighton had 23,000 for a home game?

If and when the stadium gets built and the Albion start getting decent crowds, will you still be whinging about 'johnny-come-latelys'? Will you talk of your own fans in the same terms that you now talk about Reading's?

For once I agree with you Sir. Where are the 30000 "fans" who went to Cardiff or Wembley. Why are they not storming our ticket office now?

Addiseagull

Nov 30, 2005
potential

To the laughing bluebird...

You really are a fool mate.

When Reading were at Elm Park, I would suggest that the crowds NEVER got above 6-7,000 on a regular basis. Now that they have some success and a great stadium, of course they have the ability to sell 30, 000 plus.

By the same token, Albion are struggling on low crowds (in a ground far worse them Elm park), but would easily fill 25,000 in a great stadium, at the top of the championship/premiership. In fact, we, unlike Reading have reached those heights in the past.

Stop being such a wanker and f*ck off.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What, when we were scraping around at the bottom of the second tier? I doubt it - I think our ambitions - which could well be fulfilled when Falmer happens - can afford to be loftier than that without overreaching.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Reading's Premiership crowds so far have been very, very close to their capacity. Who's to say they won't get bigger still in time if the club continues to make progress?

I was putting a different slant on it. Plus, I did say arguably!!

Would you have said Reading should extend their ground when they were wallowing in the lower leagues at Elm Park? I doubt it. They had little or no potential until Madjeski came along.

Gaffer - I think it is obvious where the fans that went to Cardiff are....Success, a decent stadium and a range of ticket prices will encourage people to come back.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Shut it Bluebird, we don't want your reasoned logic and accurate comparative analysis here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here