Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading fans booing their team (again)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Apparently after the Derby game.

Seems to be a bit of a problem there.

Nice stadium, 4th in the league - what's their problem ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wouldn't boo no matter what the result was if we were fourth in the table.

:nono:

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Your Mission...

To reel in touchy reading fan on Brighton Messageboard..

... Mission Accomplished

Seriously seems to be a bit of a problem according to your messageboard. I am surprised given your league position, I've NEVER booed my team.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What was the story with the slow hand clapping by Reading fans (against their own players) against Wimbledon ?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Our crowd often starts booing during the pre-match warm-up.....

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
If anybody at Reading should be booing it should be the players in the direction of their fans.

What do their fans want? I've been to their old ground and the new stadium on numerous occasions and I've yet to see the Reading fans really get behind their team. In terms of match day support they must be amongst the worst in the country.

It comes as no surprise to me that they have booed their team because they certainly don't cheer the Royals, and I presume they go the stadium to do something.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
RoyalAli said:
More shitty stereotypes fed into the minds of Brighton fans...

Where do you get off?

No club has exceptionally good home support, and while Reading's is by no means the best, its certainly not the worst either.

And I should know, I'm there every week.

That's your problem then. Going there every week. Instead of going to an empty stadium every other week try following Reading when they play away. You will see how other teams are really supported by their fans.

I am sure the guy who started the lyrics 'Sing when you're winning.' had Reading fans in mind. No that's wrong. They don't sing. They kind of mumble.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
RoyalAli said:
And I should know, I'm there every week.

What do you do when Reading are playing away then ?

Pop in the club shop and have a boo at the inferior merchandise ?

:lolol:

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
I've been at brighton games on numerous occassions where brighton fans have booed the players off the pitch! I remember a few times at gillingham under Jeff Wood, and I remember in the hereford season when we were stranded at the bottom we chanted "you're not fit to wear the stripes" at our players when we were 3 down away at doncaster! We also chanted "WE're so shit its unbelievable" whilst losing at home to carlisle! However, lets get things into context, we were fighting for our lives in those days and we had a right to get emotinal and express our opinions in an angry fashion! Fighting for promotion to the premiership in an absoluite luxury that we can only dream about at the moment! FFS Reading get behind your team!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
RoyalAli said:
No club has exceptionally good home support, and while Reading's is by no means the best, its certainly not the worst either.

I thought the vocal support for Reading from their fans was pretty good when we went there this season. Probably the best I've seen from them at the new ground, and that was my fourth visit to the Madejski. Mind you, they did beat us easily.

As for booing, the last time Cardiff fans booed their own team was at Watford on 28th December. Booing was frequent during the second half, as were chants of 'Lawrence Out' and 'What A Load Of Rubbish.'

Thankfully, the team has got its act together since then, and the atmosphere against Forest yesterday was terrific.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I saw Chelsea play Portsmouth at Stamford Bridge and the crowd were getting on the players backs after every misplaced pass.

Saying that, you probably have high expectations when watching £100 million pounds worth of players.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I thought the vocal support for Reading from their fans was pretty good when we went there this season. Probably the best I've seen from them at the new ground, and that was my fourth visit to the Madejski.

I'm pleased to hear that LB. They have so much to cheer for at Reading. A tremendous chairman and a Premiership quality manager. They also play in a magnificent stadium and could so easily be promoted this season.

I'm afraid my experience of them going down the years has been of a quiet bunch of fans. The only time I can remember any real noise from them was in the old Third Division South days. When they used to be known as The Biscuit Men I can remember some Reading fans turning up at The Goldstone Ground and standing in the chicken run. They had large metal boxes dressed up as biscuit tins mounted on top of poles. In the boxes were a load of bricks and when they shook the poles it sounded just like a volley of cannon fire. That was real noise.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Didn't realise people actually go to Reading games.

;)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I remember a fair few boo's when we came off against Kiddiminster a few years ago, but as rule i think we realise that you've got to get behind the team if your to have a positive effect on their game.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I watch Reading when I can't make Albion games and I think Readings lack of atmosphere is partly caused by a lack of inspiring chants and songs. All they seem to do is clap and shout Reading or Urzz. I saw them put 5 past Preston the other season and the atmosphere was still dead.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Y2Dave is very close to the truth. We are a typical "sing when you're winning" and "sing when you're playing a big club like West Ham/Leeds" club.

Sunderland booed off their team when they drew 1-1 with Gillingham this season. Wolves boo off their team every week when they're not in the lead (like its their divine right), West Ham boo some of their players all the way through the game at the moment :ohmy: , so the problem is hardly mutual.

We have much less of a problem than most clubs, its only the relative minority (like Brighton) that are too friendly to vent their frustrations at the team. If we don't win, ours is more a "boooo - we didn't win, I'm upset!", rather than "boooo - you players are all crap".

Reading have actually (shock horror) been complimented this season for our atmosphere by other clubs (usual comments being "thank god you actually make some noise in these soulless bowls nowadays, a refreshing change"!). Probably something to do with our lofty-ish league position though, so I imagine should we lose 3 more on the bounce then it'll come crashing back down to Earth again. C'est la vie.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The new Reading fans don't sing because they're all nine years old and more interested in hot dogs than football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here