Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading fans booing their team (again)

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Seagull73 said:
Does anybody REALLY care the Reading fans boo their own players?

No from what i have seen of their fansand Chairman it iis not unexpected. The word pretentious springs to mind. The only thing i care about Reading is that we have become a successful feeder club for them.???

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
I think they need to get promoted to the Premiership as they are all prawn sandwich brigade. :lolol:

Although I don't like him, since Madjeski came to the helm they have moved to a nice ground and made progress up the league as they can get quality players to their club.

However, IMHO they have lost the atmosphere that was always there at Elm Park, particularly for evening games.

Royal Ali - has the profile of the average supporter changes since moving from Elm Park? If prices have increased significantly then perhaps the people who used to go to Elm Park can no longer afford to go?

Just hope the same doesn't happen if we get a new stadium!

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
binary said:
I think they need to get promoted to the Premiership as they are all prawn sandwich brigade. :lolol:

Although I don't like him, since Madjeski came to the helm they have moved to a nice ground and made progress up the league as they can get quality players to their club.

However, IMHO they have lost the atmosphere that was always there at Elm Park, particularly for evening games.

Royal Ali - has the profile of the average supporter changes since moving from Elm Park? If prices have increased significantly then perhaps the people who used to go to Elm Park can no longer afford to go?

I'm afraid there's an almost 100% record in clubs moving to new stadiums, finding success, and having the above happen to them...

The average supporter profile goes from traditional hardcore fan to lower middle-class average Joe on the street who doesn't get excited about much and has high expectations. Go to Stoke (to a lesser degree), Middlesbrough, Bolton, Huddersfield, etc, and the entire ground has hardly any atmosphere anymore...

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
binary said:

I hope we are a bit more upmarket than prawn sarnies. Possibly, lobster. Or what about a sushi bar? Or will it be unsold Withdean hot dogs for the first season.:lolol:

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
RoyalAli said:
Wilts, on the contrary,I visted Huddersfield this season to watch Hull play them, and they had a better atmosphere than many other teams - it may have been because it was a Yorkshire derby though.

When we played them (and won 1-0 Forster) back a couple of years ago it was a proper morgue not unlike our own (except worse).

Wigan must be the worst of all!

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth

How expensive do you expect it to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
plymouth nige said:

How expensive do you expect it to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true! As we are so expensive now, when we REDUCE our prices at Falmer we will we get a rougher noisier type of fan then :lol:

Last edited:

Albion Rob

Wilts said:
Y2Dave is very close to the truth. We are a typical "sing when you're winning" and "sing when you're playing a big club like West Ham/Leeds" club.

Sunderland booed off their team when they drew 1-1 with Gillingham this season. Wolves boo off their team every week when they're not in the lead (like its their divine right), West Ham boo some of their players all the way through the game at the moment :ohmy: , so the problem is hardly mutual.

We have much less of a problem than most clubs, its only the relative minority (like Brighton) that are too friendly to vent their frustrations at the team. If we don't win, ours is more a "boooo - we didn't win, I'm upset!", rather than "boooo - you players are all crap".

Reading have actually (shock horror) been complimented this season for our atmosphere by other clubs (usual comments being "thank god you actually make some noise in these soulless bowls nowadays, a refreshing change"!). Probably something to do with our lofty-ish league position though, so I imagine should we lose 3 more on the bounce then it'll come crashing back down to Earth again. C'est la vie.

To be fair, Wolves and Sunderland booing their teams off isn't really that surprising because both have been used to top flight football (Wolves mainly a long while ago) and are basically massive clubs. Reading, on the other hand had a good season a few years back when they lost in the playoff final and are having a good time of it at the moment - no real history there.

This brings me to my point, which is that Wolves and Sunderland fans can remember the days they would have smashed teams like Gillingham, however, and this debate has been done to death, historically Reading are a pretty small club - I would say lower end on what is now league one - and so it makes it quite surprising for their fans to get the hump when they are currently the second-highest the club has ever been and have put in one poor performance.

Still, who cares? It's only Reading.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Royal Ali & Chums on Halloween:

booo.jpg

Last edited:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Albion Rob said:
To be fair, Wolves and Sunderland booing their teams off isn't really that surprising because both have been used to top flight football (Wolves mainly a long while ago) and are basically massive clubs. Reading, on the other hand had a good season a few years back when they lost in the playoff final and are having a good time of it at the moment - no real history there.

This brings me to my point, which is that Wolves and Sunderland fans can remember the days they would have smashed teams like Gillingham, however, and this debate has been done to death, historically Reading are a pretty small club - I would say lower end on what is now league one - and so it makes it quite surprising for their fans to get the hump when they are currently the second-highest the club has ever been and have put in one poor performance.

Not denying that anything in your post is untrue, Rob... but there are many, many other clubs without any history that I have heard to boo their team off in a draw or defeat. Its hardly uncommon!

RoyalAli said:
Even if they've put in a gutless performance and didn't appear to care, and didn't look like they were trying?

Not that that was the case last night, but when it has been, I've booed.

Ou players NEVER put in gutless performances , and they DO care and they ALWAYS trrying.

Smells like team spirit:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here