Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading fans are the worst ever!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Safeway said:
Just one final point, I don't think it should be taken as said that away fans always outsing the home crowd. I listened to the Stoke/Wolves game today and the noise, as it always is at the Britannia, was very impressive from the home support.

It may be more the exception than the rule, but if home fans decide they want to outsing the away following there's really nothing to stop them.

QPR and Portsmouth are other examples that immediately spring to mind.

QPR? I beg to differ mate!

As for Pompey....they weren't that great a couple of seasons ago.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
RoyalAli said:
Its a game.

and opposing managers have commented on the Madejski as an intimidating place.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
After hardly ever getting full capacity last season, sometimes being short by over a thousand, I think our argument is a little bit weak and maybe we should let these petty squabbles about who's got the biggest dick, sorry best fans, rest until we are on a level playing field, so to speak.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
RoyalAli said:
From my experience, your fans are extremely quiet at Withdean.

They are quiet whenever I go as well.

But not that I can comment our home and away support is piss poor

Last edited:

wilderabeast

Jul 27, 2004
The Promised Land
flipping heck the reading fans were awful they have a lovely stadium...first game of the season VD has spent a fair wack of money in the summer and they only managed to get 11000 home fans...our fans made that game we sung our heart out all game even when 3-1 down and took 3700 which accounted for a quarter of their gate i bet old madejski was sitting their thinking why did i spend all that money we could have stayed at elm park mind you they probally wouldnt fill that either...shame on you

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
1st game of the season pipping hot weather it would have been a great day out reasonable ticket price

no excuse for the home support not to turn out and give reading the backing.

shame really great ground what happens if they go up and extend the capacity to 40,000 they still will onlt half fill it.

the fan base will only grow slowly in a new town

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
RoyalAli said:
Our players have commented on the lift we give them with our support....

The blind and deaf ones?

RoyalAli said:
...and opposing managers have commented on the Madejski as an intimidating place.

The blind and deaf ones?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
reading never get great attendances i doubt they ever will. its awful to have a great stadium and no atmosphere. however i will make one point that annoys me about brighton. why do 'fans' leave early 10 minutes they do it at withdean as well. i understand people arriving late work for evening games etc. traffic weather. but why leave early. i have never left early and it does not make that much difference in terms of traffic. same when we had stand in at wycombe and everyone left why? *waitsfortorrentofabuse*

however the best match i have attended for atmosphere as well was newcastle v middlesborough. however when newcastle lost 2-1. the geordie fans were ace. same as when i watched newcastle v tottenham they were making more noise than tottenham fans and tottenham were at home

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
We had 3500 end of as was in many papers,but i do believe readings average attendence through out the season is boomed up hugely by away fans.

Fact is we are a bigger club tradionally and history shows,but i still stand my ground and say they don't have anything near what they think for potential as a club battling for the playoffs for the premiership in a cracking stadium should ne getting 20k quiet reguarly in my book.They will get there one day as the club is growing slowly but surely.

They won't ever overtake us for potential and crowd history im certain of that,but is everyone being a bit harsh on the club mmmmm.???

I have seen reading fans comments on our poor 30k at cardiff,but 400 mile round trip compared to there 200 mile round trip is a big diffrence and lets not forget we have been homeless and in the shite for far to many years,but the loyalty hasn't died and we have as many fans awaiting the new stadium as applications have shown in recent years.

Its the same old shite and at the end of the day they get bigger crowds right now and thats that.:)

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
saafend_seagull said:
this argument will backfire on us if we dont sell out for plymouth and coventry! :(
You are very wrong as the withdean is shite and there is a dozen reasons why people don't go,and this doesn't affect our potential.

NEVER JUDGE THE WITHDEAN TO OUR POTENTIAL AS ITS JUST NOT FARE IS IT GRRRRRR!! :p

berkshire seagull said:
We had 3500 end of as was in many papers,but i do believe readings average attendence through out the season is boomed up hugely by away fans.

Fact is we are a bigger club tradionally and history shows,but i still stand my ground and say they don't have anything near what they think for potential as a club battling for the playoffs for the premiership in a cracking stadium should ne getting 20k quiet reguarly in my book.They will get there one day as the club is growing slowly but surely.

They won't ever overtake us for potential and crowd history im certain of that,but is everyone being a bit harsh on the club mmmmm.???

I have seen reading fans comments on our poor 30k at cardiff,but 400 mile round trip compared to there 200 mile round trip is a big diffrence and lets not forget we have been homeless and in the shite for far to many years,but the loyalty hasn't died and we have as many fans awaiting the new stadium as applications have shown in recent years.

Its the same old shite and at the end of the day they get bigger crowds right now and thats that.:)

Good post. :clap: :clap:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
RoyalAli said:
Good post Berks.

I think when you get Falmer you will get very similar attendances to us.
The fans of the 70s won't all come back, and you'll struggle to sell tickets for a lot of games.
A lot of Brighton fans have agreed with me, so this isn't just something that I've pulled out of my head....
Me personally i im 100% sure we will get slighty bigger gates and i reckon a good 10-11k season tickets average.

Thing is our attendances will be more consistant as you do get very low crowds in the week and the albion love there night games and will flock.There will be a rush for a couple of years as exspected,but it will depend on ambition of the chairman and funds to keep it flowing.

I think reading have done very well in recent years and have scooped a few areas around the town to bolster themselves,but you have far more fickle fans than us i think.10 years you have nearly tripled your crowds so thats a good thing in my book.:drink:

RoyalAli said:
Good post Berks.

The fans of the 70s won't all come back, and you'll struggle to sell tickets for a lot of games.
A lot of Brighton fans have agreed with me, so this isn't just something that I've pulled out of my head....

That's true enough. Quite a few of the old fans will return though, the types that view a game as much as a social occasion with their mates, you know, 5 or 6 blokes out for a drink on a Saturday - Withdean at the moment totally disenfranches this type of fan because they can never be guaranteed to get tickets, so it just drops off their radar screen of things to do on a weekend, I've come across so many of this type of Albion fan while even working in London!

But the future of all clubs who open new stadiums is modern marketing campaigns and particularly those directed at youth. The Albion have a massive job to do here because we're talking about nearly 10 years now when it's been near impossible for any young Brighton lad to go along and get a taste of live football. We will need a lot of deals and giveaways directed at schools in the first few years of Falmer.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Also your forgetting a major part in that( AWAY FOLLOWINGS)although i love my banter with the fellow royals i can't see why all the fuss mmmm.I wish we had a chairman with shit loads of money as like i say money matters in football full stop.:)

RoyalAli said:
We're growing bigger and better slowly but surely.
I'm happy with that.
4 years ago we averaged 11,000, and a 4000 increase is very satisfying.
We've never had a large fansbase, so we can't drag back 'old' fans, so every time we increase our average attendance its a bonus.

But you did have a slight blip last year. I can't help feeling it might have something to do with London Irish's crowds which have virtually doubled in the last 3 years. It's a two-edged sword for Madjeski this, we give you a fair amount of cash but I can't help feeling we do steal away maybe 1 or 2 thousand of the softer end of your support.

Kryten

Dec 20, 2003
Here, there and every where
RoyalAli said:
Good post Berks.

just as long as we don't have an atmosphere like the madjeski, i'll be happy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here